Author Topic: De-loading rounds  (Read 6372 times)

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
De-loading rounds
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Looked around and didn't see anything on this- so here we go.  

The other day I got all set up, my powder measure was dialed in and away I started.  After 10rds I checked the powder again and realized that it wasn't what I set it up to be.  I was using 700X, a wafer type powder- dont know if that was part of the problem.  

Anyway, so now I have about 10rds with an unknown powder charge... I'm hesitant to shoot them and would like to pull them apart.  I've checked out a few resources and know that I have two different types of options.  

The first option, a kinetic bullet puller.  Basically a hammer that you put the shell inside and whack against something solid.  Price, starts out around $20 and up from there.  Problem, reviews I read on the internet say they are cheap and break if you don't spend more money than I have at the moment.

The second option is a device that mounts on the press and pulls the bullet that way.  I dont really know how they work and I'm wondering if they can be used for different bullet sizes and shapes.  

SO, what can you guys tell me about taking these things apart (Aside from the typical way of doing it :) )
Thanks in advance,
~CRCJ

modify: Also, for the rest of the rds, I checked each one to make sure it got enough powder... it was either all there, or hardly anything made it through the measure...

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: De-loading rounds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
You could do a total loaded bullet comparison to confirm the powder content. *(provided the cases are from the same manufacturer)
Weigh a number of cases to determin average weight and deviation
Add the average case weight to the projectile weight. Subtract this from each loaded bullet weight and you will have your load + or - the case weight deviation.

This is not a bad QA test to run on all of your reloads.

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
i constantly weigh my reloads for uniformity, as for pullers i have used the hammer puller for years and havent broken it yet...but i have a spare single stage press and i am thinking about ordering a press mounted one...

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
I have both types. I use the hammer if I only need to do one or two, as I need to unscrew it, empty it, etc. The one I have is a cheapy from Cabelas, and has worked fine other than needing new O-rings once in awhle.

I also have the Camlock puller from Hornady. You have to buy the correct collet to make it work, but it works great with my lead 45 bullets. I have 1 old Lee press set up just for it. It takes a little adjusting to get the collet set right, then its off and running. I have not tried it with anything other than my LRNFP bullets though. Not sure how it will work on plated bullets.

RipT

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:18 AM »
the hammer/impact type is fine for pistol rounds; if you break it, bitch to the manufacturer and they will send another.... 
about once a year I get my culled pile of pistol rounds and then sit down tap away to reclaim components and mix up a nice pile of WTF benchsweepings powder.

I also have the hornady cam lock die set and have used it for rifle (223) with minimal marking to the pulled bullet.  The impact type bever worked well for me on rifle rounds.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Well unfortunately my scale only goes up to say 100gr, so weighing the end product isn't an option... hindsight, should have spent another $10 to get the next larger scale...

So from what I can gather from what RipTombstone mentioned is that the camlock puller requires a special collet for each different bullet type being pulled?  Or is is per calliber? 

If I theoretically had a thousand rounds to pull, which would be the best use of my money?  (I know a guy who might need some help...)

Thanks,
~CRCJ

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Each caliber collet.
RipT

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »
I have a Frankford Arsenal kinetic puller and have pulled maybe 50 rounds.  I suppose you could break it, but for $15 it should at least get its value.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=215517

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »
I have a Frankford Arsenal kinetic puller and have pulled maybe 50 rounds.  I suppose you could break it, but for $15 it should at least get its value.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=215517

thats what we use and it hasnt broken yet,3 years and counting and we unloaded a bunch of brass with it

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
I have the FA as well. Doesn't quite look like that, but mine is prolly 6 years old. I remember it costing $9.95. No problems/complaints whatsoever.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
My current kinetic one is a Frankenfort Arsenal as well.  Works fine and the metal shaft is probably a valid design improvement.

I had a "green" one that ejected the head after a couple of years.  I email RCBS, they said send the broken one in and they'd replace it. 

So I sent it in with a copy of the service dept email attached.

A few days later I get a package back from them.  I opened it and there were the same two pieces of the broken one with a note: 

"Not our product"

Duh.

FTR Cabela's also makes green reloading accesories. ;)

DOH!

Offline Fyrekat

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »
I use the RCBS "hammer" too, with larger rounds and not had any issues. 

Dad always tells me that if you lose track, start over.  That's the only safe option.  I know it takes longer, but I measure each time I load, yes it takes hours to load 50 rounds, but I'd rather know that they are right than run the risk doing it the fast way twice.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
Okay, Ive once again looked at the F.A. kinetic puller... there are too many guys who say that it broke after 50rds... were these guys who didn't recognize their own strength and destroyed it?  Also, I'm thinking that if I want to pull 1000rds, it might be worth it to get a collet puller...

This looked pretty good: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=680804 until I saw this: "Not for use with non-jacketed bullets." ~Did I mention I'm unloading some cast Wadd Cutters?

So now I'm looking at this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=419303 ~It doesnt say anything about pulling non-plated bullets- any comments or thoughts?

~They are both back ordered till July...

As for the hammer type (kinetic)- they all have good and bad reviews... and the prices are fairly close together... (within $3 or so):
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=19947&categoryString=9315***731***8606***  You guys are all happy with your FA?  Maybe I'll do that...

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »
I have both kinds, a RCBS kinetic puller as well as a collet puller. I use either/or depending on what I'm doing. I did break my kinetic puller and RCBS mailed me a new cap for free. I went to Ace and stocked up on o-rings so I will not have an o-ring take it out. Honestly, I kind of prefer the kinetic to the collet, but it's more of a pain if you're doing a LOT of rounds.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
I have the RCBS hammer. Works like a charm for my non-crimped mistakes. However, once I crimp the bullet I cannot get the pullet to come out.
 :-\

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
Gunslinger,
I had that problem when I would just hit it on the top of my bench. I ended up using a short 2x4, setting the end on the floor, and whacking the end grain of the 2x4 with the hammer. Mine usually come out in 1 or 2 hits that way, even with the heavy crimps I use on my 45 Colts.
RipT

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks again RIP!

I will try that.