Author Topic: Tips on shortening shotgun stock for a female - and question on Mossberg 500C  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
So, a female couple that I am friends with want to get a firearm for self defense due to rising crime in their urban neighborhood.  Neither has shot much (just in their youth).  I plan on getting them a 20 g, I found a good deal on a local Mossberg 500C, but it currently has a pistol grip on it.  I plan to re-stock the gun in wood (going with Jack's advice for a "plain jane hunting gun for SD").  Or, maybe as a lark I might do up a pink finish. ;)

I had planned to just put a youth stock set on it, but I can't seem to find a good deal on youth stock sets, which cost upwards of $65.  I don't really want to spend this when I can buy a used wood stock set off of ebay for >$10 and cut it down myself.

Question is, is it just a matter of cutting down the length of the stock to better fit a woman (one is 5,"7, the other 5"5)?  And how much should I take off (what should the final length be?)  I was thinking of getting a limbsaver-type recoil pad for the gun, then cutting it down farther and using the pad to extend it back out.

Also, this is assuming that a regular 500 stock set will fit a 500C?  Is that correct?

I was also thinking of loading it with single-aught "0" buck.  Any thoughts?
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
You can cut down a Mossberg stock to make your own 'youth' version. I went with the Hogue overmold on mine, which is nice and has a nice recoil pad.

The only tricky bit with Mossie stocks is the forend on older ones is different than the newer - in some cases you may need a spacer. A search on shotgunworld.com should get you a definite on that.

Cutting down an old stock is not too tricky, I would look at getting a 'grind to fit' butt pad, so you can make up the length of pull and finish the rear nicely. You will need a bolt to hold the butt to the stock as well, which will be shorter than stock bolt due to cut down length. IIRC, the youth stock is 11" LOP.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
I just did this on my 870. I took an inch off.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg170619#msg170619

take the pad off. put tape on the stock to prevent splintering. I used a table saw and the miter gauge to get a nice straight cut.
once you make the cut, the recoil pad will be too big. You can leave it but it looks bad. I used a belt sander to bring it to the new dimensions of the cut down butt.

I'd go for about 12" of pull (distance from back of the recoil pad to the front of the trigger.
Eastern Thought meets Western Gunfighting

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
When I bought my Mossberg 500 I had the same pistol grip. Although great for carry in small areas such as an apartments or vehicles, I started to find that when using it for reflex practice I was sacrificing accuracy. Shooting scatter rounds wasn't a concern, but if you shoot a slug without having the stock, as in a conventional rifle, you run the risk of a miss because you loose stability. My solution was to get an ATI M4 stock for the 500. Its collapsable allowing for adjustment between users but also allows you to have the stock for stability.  In reality, when using defense shotguns for home use you won't need to engage targets beyond 25 feet (talking about hallways and bedrooms) and unless you've received CQB training you shouldn't be roaming around the house pieing corners and clearing rooms. In truth, all you usually need to do is action the pump and the sound it sends out will be a clear enough signal to whoever is in the house (trust me I know - wife got spooked one night when I came out of the field at 1am and was roaming around in the house with the lights off).

Now with a home with larger space I keep the Mossberg in the master bedroom by my nightstand. The sling allows for 10 stored rounds while the shotgun stores 4+1. Depending on your use 00 is the best for scatter offering great penetration, but you may have accidental deflection off other objects in the house. Personally I alternate; 00 - slug - 00 - slug. I also have AP rounds for locks or "whatever". Jack is right, shottys offer the best functionality.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
I did something similar when I was younger. I had a single shot 20 ga new england arms (still have it actually). Being a break action single shot it kicked like a mule. It already had a youth stock, part of why it kicked so hard. I gut a gunsmith to cut it down and add a limbsaver. Didn't bother reataching the buttplate since the recoil pad was going to always stay on it.  As near as I can tell the guy just ran it through a table saw, sanded it and attached the limbsaver. He gave me the piece he cut off if I ever do want to attch the buttplate.  I doubt I will, but if I did I would sand it with a belt sander like Zen said. I have seen it done before and it looked good.

btw, if she is anything like, my wife she will love the pink, but I know others like SisWolf who might shoot you if you did that. LOL
"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
How about taking the Ladies to the local gun shop or Cabelas and test fitting a similar model. Bring a tape measure and get a measurement. Then a little range time to get used to it

Offline wolffire99

• Prepper
How about taking the Ladies to the local gun shop or Cabelas and test fitting a similar model. Bring a tape measure and get a measurement. Then a little range time to get used to it

x2