Author Topic: Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make  (Read 1498 times)

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make
« on: May 17, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
I peeled and cored apple in order to dehydrate.  Not sure what to do with the leftovers.  I read somewhere that I can dehydrate the peels and make into a powder to flavor oatmeal and breads.  Any other ideas of what to the with the leftovers?

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
Make apple jelly or add to another fruit to make a mixed jelly.

Offline I.L.W.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »
Normally, I would feed it to the chickens.  That's one of the primary benefits of having some food animal, none of you food is wasted.  You can easily convert those scraps into a few dozen eggs and a roasted chicken.  Goats will eat them, and give you meat in return, and milk. Both could be raised on a very small residential lot, are cheap to purchase, and in most places are perfectly fine to raise without legal concerns (unless you have to worry about a HOA agreement).

Remember, apple seeds, like peach pits contain a small amount of arsenic.  The amount in an apple is so small, it's negligible, and safe if you eat a few every now and then.  But if you're cooking down a lot of them, I'd remove the seeds first. 
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. – Ronald Reagan

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
Start a worm bin - they love the apples ;)

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Make apple jelly or add to another fruit to make a mixed jelly.
+1 to this. Commercial pectin is commonly cooked out of apples that have been pressed for juice. I usually peel apples for pectin in jelly making and cook the flesh into apple butter. That way I get a 2 for 1 on the usefulness.

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
Black soldier fly larva composter and feed the larva to the chickens, quail or fish!
The Purpose of government is to provide service
The Purpose of media is to provide the vasolene.