Author Topic: Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make  (Read 2990 times)

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
I peeled and cored apple in order to dehydrate.  Not sure what to do with the leftovers.  I read somewhere that I can dehydrate the peels and make into a powder to flavor oatmeal and breads.  Any other ideas of what to the with the leftovers?

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Leftover apple peels and cores - what can I make
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
Make apple jelly or add to another fruit to make a mixed jelly.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »
Normally, I would feed it to the chickens.  That's one of the primary benefits of having some food animal, none of you food is wasted.  You can easily convert those scraps into a few dozen eggs and a roasted chicken.  Goats will eat them, and give you meat in return, and milk. Both could be raised on a very small residential lot, are cheap to purchase, and in most places are perfectly fine to raise without legal concerns (unless you have to worry about a HOA agreement).

Remember, apple seeds, like peach pits contain a small amount of arsenic.  The amount in an apple is so small, it's negligible, and safe if you eat a few every now and then.  But if you're cooking down a lot of them, I'd remove the seeds first. 

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Start a worm bin - they love the apples ;)

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
Make apple jelly or add to another fruit to make a mixed jelly.
+1 to this. Commercial pectin is commonly cooked out of apples that have been pressed for juice. I usually peel apples for pectin in jelly making and cook the flesh into apple butter. That way I get a 2 for 1 on the usefulness.

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
Black soldier fly larva composter and feed the larva to the chickens, quail or fish!