Author Topic: Tubal Ligation  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
Tubal Ligation
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
You know, the childbirth thread got me thinking... based on my childbearing experience, if I were to get pregnant and did not have access to modern medical care... I would probably die.

And I'm not just saying this; with my first pregnancy, I saw a midwife and planned a home birth that never came to fruition. I am still a huge advocate of midwifery and home births for those who do not have physical or medical conditions that preclude it (my midwife - a CNM, said my circumstances are those she only encountered 1 other time in over 10 years of practicing midwifery). Based on my experience with two births, if I did manage to have a healthy vaginal birth there is still a good chance I would hemorrhage to death without medical intervention.

Since I am finished having children, I wonder if perhaps getting a tubal ligation should be considered something I should put on my list. We were perhaps leaning towards the vasectomy route for our long-term birth control needs, but now I am thinking that in my situation, and for my own protection, maybe tubal ligation is worth considering even though it carries more inherent risk than a vasectomy? Something to think about.

DevilDoc

Re: Tubal Ligation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »
vasectomy's arent bad and well the tubal thing i dont know much about other than i know they are expensive .... but they have the arm rod thing i think that u can have put under your skin as a 5 yr BC method ...

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
5 years of synthetic hormones. I won't do synthetic hormones anymore. I have to admit I find it ironic that some women I know will only buy hormone-free meat will inject or consume hormones DIRECTLY into their body.

Barrier method or surgical or maybe a copper IUD I think are the only choices for me, personally...

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:40:54 AM »
I have a copper IUD myself as I feel similarly about introducing hormones into my body. Almost 9 years without incident or complaint and I will be swapping it out with a new one when this one is up for replacement. I would rather stick with an IUD than have elective surgery, such as tubal ligation, frankly.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »
Do not get a tubal ligation done!!! I had it done and it was the biggest mistake ever!! The side effects that doctors don't tell you about are awful! I even specifically asked my Dr what they side effects are and he said "none".  Well that was so wrong. First periods are worse then ever and not at all regular. The pain is increased and flow is heavy or absent all together. I also have endometriosis now, vaginal dryness, loss of breast mass, cramping mid-cycle and alot more.
You can go here http://www.tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm for more info.

Have your hubby get a vasectomy - much less invasive. It's an outpatient procedure compared to you being out of commission for 6 weeks.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
I have to comment on this.   I had a vasectomy done 18 years ago.  Yes they work, but yes there can be side effects.  There can be loss of sensation, infections, increased chance of cancer, swelling, pain, and so forth.  Not everyone seems to experience these, but I do know a reasonable percentage of guys who have.  Hindsight I wish I hadnt had it done.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
I have to comment on this.   I had a vasectomy done 18 years ago.  Yes they work, but yes there can be side effects.  There can be loss of sensation, infections, increased chance of cancer, swelling, pain, and so forth.  Not everyone seems to experience these, but I do know a reasonable percentage of guys who have.  Hindsight I wish I hadnt had it done.  Just my 2 cents.

See - this I didn't know! I guess the safest thing is to just be careful...or have babies! Anyone want to give the Duggars a run for their money??? LOL!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »

I ran across this site a while back, when we were discussing whether or not to do this method.  The info here changed our minds, at least for the time being....
http://dontfixit.org/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
OK... don't know if you are interested, but with all the various methods of sterilization or chemical birth control, there are side effects. I think learning about the body's natural cycles is very important, especially in a situation where your preferred method of chemical birth control may not be available. There are many who think that "natural family planning" is like the "rhythm method" that was proven to be pretty ineffective in past years. In actuality, with the medical advances and the fact that more information about the body is now available, NFP has proven very effective for many couples (for desiring to space children, or if they want to have children and are experiencing infertility problems). Having this information is another level of preparation for modern survivalists, imo. All natural, no side effects...

Check out this website for information available in your area... http://www.ccli.org/

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Not much for the sterilization/contraception route, but if you are going that way you might try (http://www.essure.com/).  Basically they place something in the fallopian tubes to cause them to scar closed.  I knew a guy whose wife had this done.  The last follow up I heard was that at 6 months out she had no complaints.  You might check the internet to see though.  I recommend Creighton Model Fertility Care (http://www.creightonmodel.com/).  It's a natural method, and is only permenant if you stick with the system.  It's based on the fact that during the first part of the menstral cycle estrogen rises causing the cervix to create mucous that allows sperm through (when the level is high enough), this is also around ovulation.  You chart the qualitative markers.  It can also be used to acheive pregnancy for those who may be trying.

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
My wife and I practice the Catholtic Preventitive measeure. It is known as the pull and pray.  We have two kids.....for now. 

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
You know, the childbirth thread got me thinking... based on my childbearing experience, if I were to get pregnant and did not have access to modern medical care... I would probably die.

...... if I did manage to have a healthy vaginal birth there is still a good chance I would hemorrhage to death without medical intervention.

Since I am finished having children, I wonder if perhaps getting a tubal ligation should be considered something I should put on my list. We were perhaps leaning towards the vasectomy route for our long-term birth control needs, but now I am thinking that in my situation, and for my own protection, maybe tubal ligation is worth considering even though it carries more inherent risk than a vasectomy? Something to think about.

Given the severity of your condition, I would go for a permanent solution for you.  Implants are still temporary and I was NEVER regular enough to consider a rhythm method, let alone risk bleeding to death with it.  And why do I say for you?  Should something happen to your significant other (heaven forbid but it does happen) you would be back at square one.  I had a TL, came home, was told I would be in "pain", sat there a couple of hours, got up and cooked dinner.  Surgery was on Friday and I was back to work on Monday.  If you have heavy periods after, they can do a thermal ablasion -- had one of those too for other reasons -- not a difficult procedure as well.     I know surgery has its risks, but pregnancy in your case sounds a whole lot worse!

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
I guess in the interest of full disclosure:  The doctor who developed the Creighton Model is Roman Catholic; I am not.  As far as I am concerned rythm is about technique.  CBP- Part of the reason for doing the Crieghton Model is find the time of the month that is fertile, not to guess the middle of the cycle and periodically abstain/partake.  This is the difficulty of some of the older natural systems.  Every women is different and that is part of the reason that the Creighton Model has been effective, because it determines the fertile time of the month and can be used for diagnostic hormonal and ultrasound evaluation and treatment.   I realize it is different if she thinks she is absolutely, positevly done having children.  Tubal ligations although it may have worked well for CBP it is an abdominal procedure and carries the risk of general surgery, and some of the ones kimber and Texasbound have mentioned. 

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
I ran across this site a while back, when we were discussing whether or not to do this method.  The info here changed our minds, at least for the time being....
http://dontfixit.org/

Morning Sunshine - thanks for posting this.  I think you just rescued me from getting a vasectomy.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 07:50:57 AM »
I would recommend www.essure.com also.  It's minimally invasive, permanent, and highly effective after the 3 month waiting period for the fallopian tubes to scar down.  After 3 months, the patient can return to the office for an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) to verify that the procedure was effective.  Because there are no abdominal incisions, there is no increase in risk for future adhesions, etc.  I would just recommend picking the OBGYN in your area who has the most experience with using Essure (because it's fairly new, and practice does make perfect), and don't be afraid to ask his/her complication rate.  I would recommend asking for procedural sedation for the HSG, as it can be rather painful if done while awake.  Obviously, the Essure procedure should also be done under procedural sedation.

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Did anyone here actually have the Essure procedure done? I have read about this, but I'd love to hear some first-hand accounts.

There is no way I would be comfortably relying on NFP or anything similar. I am highly hormonally irregular and unlike other women (which is part of what makes pregnancy so dangerous for me as well.) But I do know that for women whose bodies "follow the rules" it can be very effective.

Offline MyBookie

• Survivor
    • The Left is as Bad as the Right
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
My sister had the lubal tigation and seems happy with it.

My wife had  a hysterectomy and is happy she did. I miss the feeling of actually bumping up against her cervix during coitus, but other than that there is no difference except the amusement park doesn't close for one week a month, which is nice.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »
Did anyone here actually have the Essure procedure done? I have read about this, but I'd love to hear some first-hand accounts.

There is no way I would be comfortably relying on NFP or anything similar. I am highly hormonally irregular and unlike other women (which is part of what makes pregnancy so dangerous for me as well.) But I do know that for women whose bodies "follow the rules" it can be very effective.

Yes, I've had the Essure myself, so if you have questions, ask away. 

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »

I have had the Essure procedure done.  It was basically a "two day" thing.  The day of the procedure is one part, the confirmation procedure is the second.  I really liked my doctor, because he went ahead and put me under for the procedure.  Some will do the procedure with local only.  Just check if you decide on this route.

Titanium coils are inserted into the fallopian tubes and the scar tissue grows through them, keeping eggs from dropping and getting fertilized.  I went home uncomfortable, but not in terrible pain, and went ahead and slept most of the rest of the day (a Friday).  I had a VERY active weekend after that with no issues.  Note, I am a very active person.  This could have contributed to the LACK of problems.

The confirmation procedure involves going to a radiologist, who injects xray fluid into your uterus to see if the fallopian tubes are well and truly blocked.  This occurs 90 days after the initial procedure, so you would need backup contraception during that time.  This procedure was very uncomfortable for me.  I cramped pretty bad.  Again, I went home and slept the rest of the day. 

YOU WILL NEED SOMEBODY TO DRIVE YOU HOME FROM BOTH PROCEDURES.

My situation was a success.  I have no regrets about having this done.  I have had no issues, and I am 13 months post procedure.  Now, for very selfish reasons, I am considering an ablation procedure because I'm tired of having a useless period every 26 days.

Write down questions.  Keep talking to people.  Find people who HAVE had problems with the procedure and find out what the problems they had are.  Ask the doctor how long and how many procedures he/she has performed.  Just do your research and make an informed decision.

Good luck.

Offline brigitte

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
i think that with all these procedures everyone is different and you just won't know whether it'll be good or bad for you until you get it done. for instance, between children i had an iud and it was the worst time of my life, heavy heavy clotting & periods, cramping, ugh! yet, after my second child i had a tubal, minimal pain with the procedure and no bad after effects and best of all my periods are back to what i consider "normal". i don't regret it for a second. ymmv.

brigitte

Offline LupaWolf

• Fledgling Prepper
    • TwoWolvesOutdoor
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
I had a tubal done when the doctor informed me that getting pregnant again was life threatening.  I had a good doctor.  The procedure went well.  I had no complications.  When I developed cancer the following year, having had the tubal done was quite beneficial.

In my opinion and experience, if you have a medical condition where you should avoid pregnancy, then you should seek to have a procedure done yourself.  As strong women, we should take responsibility for ourselves and not even consider trying to push an unwilling male into a procedure to benefit us.

Offline Dylboz

• BANNED
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
This is VERY promising! I hope it gets approval soon. Vastly superior to surgical or hormonal birth control!

Scientists invent first male contraceptive pill

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
I refuse to take any hormones(i.e. birth control) so we practice natural family planning. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/preventingpregnancy/fertilityawarenessNFP.html  That's one of the BEST ways to keep track of your body if you don't want to mess with your body.

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »
This is VERY promising! I hope it gets approval soon. Vastly superior to surgical or hormonal birth control!

Wow, that sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it, but wouldn't that be fantastic?

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
Each person is unique, we each must find what is right for our own circumstances.

My sister after 4 kids in less than 4 years had a tubal, they did try several methods of birth control, none worked for before the tubal.  Less than a year between births is not enough.

I had a tubal after my youngest over a dozen years ago as it had become a health risk to me.Thus I had the operation.

My observations:

Some drs seem to encourage operations too readily.  Get facts, make your own decisions.   

It is a surgery with risks.  I was told not much to it, wouldn't add to recovery time.  False, I was feeling much better after delivery than after the tubal, first time I'd been put under anesthesia, stomach full of gas, hurt too much to breath until given an pain shot.   Longer recovery time.  Didn't have other side effects that I know of.

I have no regrets, times change, better research, etc. 

Offline LouKy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »
I had a tubal done and I had no complications at all and nothing about cycles have changed either. Everything is the same for me except i don't get pregnant. It was an excellent choice for me.

Offline peacepiper

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »
I haven't had a tubal, but want one. All the doctors around here say I'm "too young to make that decision" (WTF, I'll be 30 next year).

I have, however, had an endometrial ablation to help cure endometriosis and I'm glad I got that done, as now my periods are regular, lighter, less painful. I can actually leave the house during my menses now! That's a huge improvement over 2 years ago when I was literally crippled.

I was told it was "unlikely" I could get pregnant, but while I'm still bleeding it is a possibility. I'm single, so I'm not going to count on any potential lover that he's going to be sterile. It's up to me. But I still can't seem to get one. No one in my area does essure either.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »
I had the same problem when I asked about a tubal.  No one wanted to do it because I was "too young", I might get remarried, etc. 
I finally found someone, but had to go for a whole year without sex before he would perform the surgery.   >:(
I already had two children - a girl and a boy - I was done!

Doctors just can't get it through their heads that we women are serious.  After all, "in the old days", we had children to please the "man".  (Provide an heir)

Good luck with finding a "professional" doctor who will listen to YOUR wishes and needs.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »
I had my tubal back in the late 70's with zero complications. I went to work the next day (sit-down job as a graphic artist) and that evening, took an easy cruise on my dirt bike. I think it was a case of (massive) ignorance being bliss.

The only problem I had was finding a doctor to do the proceedure, the first two I saw refused because I was in my 20's, single and childless. Hello, childless was the whole point of the exercise, right?  ???

Anyway, I lied through my teeth to the next guy, told him I had 3 illegitimate kids and got it done. I've since been told that doctors can tell if you've given birth(??), so he probably knew I was lying and needed to make a Porcshe payment or something - whatever, we both went away happy from that one.

Offline peacepiper

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
I've heard horror stories even from friends that have children. One of my acquaintances has her two kids, "I'm done" and she's 34, no doctor will still do it.

I've been asking for one since I was 19. "Oh you'll change your mind." I'm 29 and still sure. Maybe I'll finally get one done by the time I'm 39.  ::)

Flagtag, A whole year without sex before he'd do a surgery? You're kidding, right?