Author Topic: Pig Hunting in Missouri  (Read 9680 times)

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
Pig Hunting in Missouri
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
was just watching Ted Nugent hunting pigs and saw just how tough wild pigs are, he put 2 arrows into it and then followed it for quite some time and then had to put 2 bullets from his 10mm into it to finish it off...I have been wanting to do a hog hunt, are there any of our Missouri members with hogs on their property? or hunt hogs in Missouri, any area recomendations

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Pig Hunting in Missouri
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
They're tough. I put a bullet through ones chest, clipped the lung and shredded the shoulder coming out. It ran like it was uninjured. The second shot severed the spine. Didn't know the first shot hit till we got it butchered. Still not sure how it managed to run after the first shot.

Offline wolffire99

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
There aren't many hogs in Missouri. You'd have to know where they were first.

Offline jacko223

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
If you are thinking of a holiday try australia we have unlimited places to hunt. On a recent trip we hunted dear. pigs.goats.. rabbits hares. crows. several species of birds over two weeks all for $2000 bucks.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
They are running ramped down here in NE Texas.  Not a game animal, so there is no season and no restriction on hunting methods.  i know a guy that has a class III silenced (I want to say FN FAL,but its not)308 with night optics that he claims, with back up, that he tagged ten in a row at a dear feeder, working from the outside in.

in short, Texas is the place for hunting hogs

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
The SW counties in Missouri have established hog populations.

We have some here in SE Missouri as well, but they aren't as established & they get a lot of pressure from people hunting them.  So much so that they're mostly nocturnal, & they stay in the really thick undergrowth.

I can show you lots of hog sign, but getting actual eyes on a hog around here is pretty tough. 

Another thing to keep in mind is the location of the hog's vitals.  They're forward more than on any other species you'd hunt.  The lungs & heart are almost completely covered by the shoulder, the best shot to take is when the hog is stepping forward & uncovering the anatomy with the leg nearest you. The shot also needs to be lower in the chest than what you'd normally take on a deer, for example.  Note too, how the spine of the neck actually travels thru the center of the neck, not at the top of the neck like it does on most large animals.  Hogs are built like tanks, they can take a beating & still keep going.

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
I'm in Missouri too and I've not come across any wild pigs.  I hear there are some in southern MO, but I am near KC.

I have killed two hogs in TN, and the first one took 5 shots from my .44 mag.  When we pulled the hide off, two of the bullets fell out from under the "shield" of hide on the off-side from the entry.  They were just a bit higher than the heart, but through both lungs, all 5 shots I could cover with the palm of my hand.  Those were 240 gr. JHP factory loads.  The next year, I went back with a 300 gr JSP hot handload, and one shot turned the lights out.

Offline bowins

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »
Planning on some Missouri Pig hunts in January near the black river, south of K...would probably be worth some scout time if you're up for it.

Offline TheZenful1

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
I would love to do this as well. Never been hunting before though...