Author Topic: lead warning  (Read 8459 times)

Offline 423aaron

• Prepper
  • www.skillgarden.net
    • SkillGarden
lead warning
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:46:37 AM »
Watch your hygiene with lead guys.

I just came up with elevated lead levels.  30ppm per deciliter.

What does that mean?  Depends on who you ask.  Some say the sky is falling some say don't worry about it.

A little care goes a long way.

Wash your hands with cold soapy water after handling lead.  Esp. if casting.

When casting it is a good idea to wear a respirator and dedicated casting cloths.  At a minimum wash lead cloths separately.

streakr

Re: lead warning
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
Actually you units are wrong: it should read 30ug/dL (30 micrograms per deciliter) which is the same as 30ppm. It should be below 10ug/dL. For children the maximum level is 10!!

Ingestion is the main method for reloaders (and children) to develop poisoning. Handwashing and/or gloves is the best way to reduce your risk. Respirators help but you should cast in a well ventilated area.   

streakr

SwampMonster

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I get checked yearly for work. Pb has never been a problem, However the Hg is killing me, looks as I need to lay off the Red Snapper....

Hummmm no.

Swamp

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »
I am gonna go get tested here shortly. I have been casting for a few years now, and reloading for a few more than that. I recently bought the soap that Dillon Precision sells. I think it is called De-Lead. I have been using it after I handle lead, but someone said that common dishwasher detergent works well for removing heavy metals. I dont know this for sure, but it could be looked into.
Rip

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »
And because it's safe to assume that reloaders are avid shooters too, the reloading bench may not be where your picking up the lead.  It may be at the range.  Many indoor ranges have recently been checked and most exceeded whatever the minimum safe level is.  And I think the backstop/bullet catch area recorded the highest concentrations of airborne lead in most ranges indoor or outdoor.  Bullets hitting bullets embedded in backstop results in vaporization of the lead, so don't dally when changing targets.

Tim.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
I got tested at my physical last year and came in fine.  I cast and have processed a couple of tons of lead into ingots over the last year or two- the test results allowed my wife to relax a bit. 

I avoid tumbler dust, I ventilate very well when casting, I don't eat or drink during or after loading, shooting or casting until I have washed up.  Plus I shoot outdoors 88% of the time.

If you follow simple safety rules you should be fine.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
I got tested at my physical last year and came in fine.  I cast and have processed a couple of tons of lead into ingots over the last year or two- the test results allowed my wife to relax a bit. 

I avoid tumbler dust, I ventilate very well when casting, I don't eat or drink during or after loading, shooting or casting until I have washed up.  Plus I shoot outdoors 88% of the time.

If you follow simple safety rules you should be fine.

Are those 250gr gas checked keiths???? i'll take a few off your hands if you find you have a lil extra. ha ha.   Very nicely done.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
Are those 250gr gas checked keiths???? i'll take a few off your hands if you find you have a lil extra. ha ha.   Very nicely done.

those are the product of an RCBS 300g mold - Lars Red lube Hornady checks.   I push them at 1300 fps with H110 (don't have load data handy).

If you want to try some I'll be happy to send you a few to try out (the bullets not the loaded rounds of course).  Seriously, happy to share for the good of the reloading c"raft"

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
i do appreciate the offer but i wouldn't want to deprive you the chance to enjoy the fruits of your labor to the fullest... I have actually found that i prefer 240 to 250gr, i shoot them out of a 629.... no rifle  :-\   thanks for the offer anyways

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
Good thread. Good information.

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »
It is important to check lead levels. I do not empty my tumbler except outside when I tumble brass. Inhaled lead particles can accumulate faster in the blood stream than the time it takes to ingest. I have my levels checked every 2 years with a complete physical. I use a respirator when I flux and casting primarily in a garden shed with the garage door open. I have done this for more years than I want to admit. My level is almost nonexistent to this day.

Don't forget the dust that tumblers generate. I wear a very good respirator when emptying this outside. I shoot mainly lead bullets for rifle, pistol, revolver and shotgun and jacketed for my varmint rifles.

take care and be safe all,

r1kk1

Offline copdills

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
don't smoke ,eat or drink while casting without washing up first during a break , I usally don't do any of these things unless I am in one of my long casting modes LOL

Offline bigjimcalhoun

• Prepper
  • fat older balding guy
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
I was recently tested and have high lead and mercury levels. 

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
I was recently tested and have high lead and mercury levels. 

What did the Doc say about any recommendations Jim?  And any idea where it came from?  I did a lot of commercial sandblasting on municipal water tanks quite a few years ago and we were tested monthly.  Having a forced air breathing system and a regulator is what kept most of us "clean and green".

Tim.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
I read that most of the lead one is exposed to comes out of the tumbler which makes sense to me.  Primers have lead and when you tumble the brass clean it is in the dust which gets airborne when you empty the brass.  I now tumble outside and use a respirator when I unload the brass.

Our range has huge ventilation from the back as well as D-Lead soap which is handy.  Can't be too careful I think.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I read that most of the lead one is exposed to comes out of the tumbler...

Oh shoot... never thought of that!  Hmm... I'll be a bit more careful about that one then...
~CRCJ