Author Topic: Saving Money For Relocation - Best Method?  (Read 4167 times)

Aionios

Saving Money For Relocation - Best Method?
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:11:08 AM »
Hello, everyone, always a pleasure to be here.

I currently live in Oklahoma, and wish to relocate to California. I can fairly easily find a job and obtain it before I actually move, but I need to save up the funding to do so. I am currently unemployed, but do freelance work as a certified PC technician, which is what my degree and certification is for.

I have read the $40 a month food budget, and I think I can cut that down even further if I try hard enough. However, I need to find a method for saving up money for such endeavors.

What are your best ideas? Yard sales for old junk? Pawn shops for useless items? I have considered walking the streets to collect loose change, which seems a solid idea to get minor coin.

Social resources are not available, so I cannot turn to family or friends.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I will need at least 2000 dollars to move to even a studio apartment in California at first, which is why I seek ways to raise such coin.

Thank you for your time. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Saving Money For Relocation - Best Method?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:41:42 AM »
Wait, what?

Why on earth would you want to move to California?  Seriously... BAD CHOICE for sooooooooooooooooo many reasons.  Please reconsider.

Aionios

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
Luckily, I do have a specific reason for going to that specific state. Yes, many other states have much better options. But I live in Oklahoma. There are brush fires more conducive to good living. Still, there is SOMETHING waiting for me there.

I just need to figure out good ways to save money in order to do so, is all.

I do appreciate your response, and value your opinion as an individual.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »
I'm sorry I cannot in good conscience assist someone in relinquishing their constitutional rights by giving them advice on how to move to california.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
Aionios, you're making a very bad decision, regardless of what kind of deal with the devil you might have in California.

I live in California.  Please understand a few things:

The gun laws are FAR worse here than they are pretty much anywhere else in the USA.  The illegal immigration is so bad, that it's literally causing hospitals to close monthly, if not more often.  The unemployment here is at a MUCH higher rate than the rest of the country.  Whatever job you think you might have here cannot be trusted to still be here in a year.  The education system here is so broken, that it will not be fixed in my life time.  Forget university.  The only ones worth anything are those in the UC system, and even they're compacting every major, and cutting every program.  You CANNOT under ANY circumstances carry a gun pretty much anywhere in California.  Good luck defending yourself or your home if somebody breaks into your house (this ain't texas, and if you shoot somebody, you're a bad guy, no matter what the criminal was trying to do to you).  The water situation here is AWFUL.  The taxes here are outrageous.  The home prices here are out of this world (if you have a job out here that only earns you $60,000 a year, you will never own a home).

There isn't anything whatsoever here that is worth giving up your rights to have.  Not anything.

That said, here are a few things for you regarding saving money in general:

Work.  Put 85% of your earnings in a saving's account.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do not ask people for money, that's morally wrong.

And the biggest thing that will help you save money - don't move to California.  It is disproportionately expensive here.  You don't earn twice as much as you might in Oklahoma, and then spend the same amount.  You will not be living high off the hog.  You will be living in much the same way, if not more poorly, than you do in Oklahoma, except that you will have absolutely no chance of getting out.

If there is some "woman" who you're running to in California, make that woman run to YOU.  Or maybe you can both run to another state altogether.  California will only ever bring you misery and depression.

This is so frustrating.  It's like seeing somebody post that they want to become a heroine addict, and want advice on how to save money for their first hit.  Why in God's name are you so desperate to ruin your life?

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
This is so frustrating.  It's like seeing somebody post that they want to become a heroine addict, and want advice on how to save money for their first hit.  Why in God's name are you so desperate to ruin your life?

Sad, but true. Glad I moved out of California a few years ago... too bad Washington State isn't much better.

Why are you still there Sister Wolf?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
Why are you still there Sister Wolf?

We're saving money so that we don't go into a ridiculous amount of debt when we leave.  TW will be retiring, and my "job" is websites, the gear shop, and SQ Magazine.  All of those together don't come close to replacing our income yet.  When they do, we will leave.  Immediately.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
If there is some "woman" who you're running to in California, make that woman run to YOU.  Or maybe you can both run to another state altogether.  California will only ever bring you misery and depression.

And make sure she's really a woman before moving.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
I don’t live in California but I do haul freight in and out of there, and I would have to agree with ever ones else’s advice not to move there. California has a bad rep. for a reason and it doesn’t look like there state government is doing anything to try to change it. Check out the web links below and it will give you a idea as to what the difference is in the cost of living in Oklahoma versus California that alone should be enough to change your mind. :o
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=54055000&city2=50641282

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
We're saving money so that we don't go into a ridiculous amount of debt when we leave.  TW will be retiring, and my "job" is websites, the gear shop, and SQ Magazine.  All of those together don't come close to replacing our income yet.  When they do, we will leave.  Immediately.

That makes sense! At least you have a plan and are working towards it - you'll be out of there soon! Have you decided where you're going to go once you get to that point? If you job is websites and such it sounds like you could do your job anywhere which is an awesome situation to be in!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
That makes sense! At least you have a plan and are working towards it - you'll be out of there soon! Have you decided where you're going to go once you get to that point? If you job is websites and such it sounds like you could do your job anywhere which is an awesome situation to be in!

That's right! :)  I set it up that way on purpose.  The gear shop, the magazine, and the websites can be done from anywhere, as long as I'm within range of a post office that I can get to daily.  We're working our butts off to make all of those things more financially secure and stable than they are now.  Just takes money, patience, and a LOT of elbow grease.  ;)

Edit:  I totally forgot to answer your other question.  We haven't TOTALLY decided where to go when we leave.  Jack is trying to convince us to become his neighbor, but it's almost as lucrative to move to the bitter-root country (Montana) or Idaho.  The laws in both Montana & Idaho are amazingly wonderful compared to CA, and the land is fairly cheap.  In other words, we wouldn't quite have to replace our current income to live happily there.  Same goes for Arkansas though.  The only real difference is the humidity, the heat, and the natural disasters.  Also SERIOUSLY considering Missouri.  We have family there, and absolutely adored it when we visited last June.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:16:27 PM by Sister Wolf »