Author Topic: Prepping with Children  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
Prepping with Children
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this topic - surely many men could add to this as well, but I put it here because *in general* most of us ladies are the primary educators of children (our own as well as those in our community), but I would really like thoughts from men as well.

I am a Girl Scout leader, as well as a homeschooling mama sometimes in a position to educate other homeschooled children in my community in group activities. While I am just a newbie prepper myself, I would like to use *both* of these platforms as an opportunity for outreach into the community so that others can learn along with me. I think they are both good platforms without the need to be pushy. My own daughter attended a homeschool class on food preservation at a local historical site, and next year both my girls and I will be spending 1 day a month with a homeschool group on a farm learning more about agriculture, animal care, etc. - and in our Girl Scout troop I have taken the opportunity to teach the girls a few things (my scouts are still very young). I think people are very receptive in these situations.

I think sharing this knowledge in a fun but practical way with friends, scouts, etc, can help our kids feel comfortable with the lifestyle rather than rebel against their "weird, paranoid parents". And for kids in the community, it is my experience that adults are far more likely to let their kids learn about and experience a new skill or perspective, even if they themselves would be disinterested.

Some of my ideas for scouts, gatherings, or just activities with friends:

- Of course camping, outdoor survival skills, solar cooking, etc, safety skills, first aid, as well as traditional skills such as sewing, etc. goes without saying for scouts

- going berry/fruit picking (always fun for kids) - go ahead and encourage everyone to get those huge buckets you can get for cheap, and then host a canning party

- money management education. I've already done this even with my youngest scouts (with a group of 5-6 yr olds) at a basic level, and it will continue as they get older. I THINK THIS IS SO KEY! Parents are more likely to take to their kids about STDs than they are about debt and money management. We need to reach our youth about the dangers of debt and the importance of saving with the same due diligence that we approach safe sex, drugs, etc.

- at an appropriate age, weapon use. Even the Girl Scouts, which can sometimes be a little froo-froo as an organization, has basic archery available for girls as young as 5, and riflery available at camps for girls 4th grade and up. Parents who might not normally be comfortable with their kids handling weapons might at least be comfortable with their kids handling a bow and arrow and or bb gun/air rifle at a Girl Scout Camp with an "officially trained" guide (and this training is very easy to get and I intend to get it so I can take neighbors' girls on the range)

- Storytelling. I love storytelling - the Ant and the Grasshopper isn't the only fable that in its original form, teaches a valuable lesson. I have found kids are just CRAZY about animated storytelling without a book. Even some classic creation myths have valuable but harsh lessons (and kids DO respond to characters in real danger, or who end up suffering real consequences)

I am interested in other ideas.  I am primarily dealing with kids that are young, all girls (from as young as 4 to as old as 8 presently), and I know as kids get older there are even more opportunities to teach them all that stuff I *WISH* someone had taught me when I was a child - whether it was a parent or a neighbor or a scout leader.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:34:49 PM by Dagny »

Offline kimber

• Prepper
Re: Prepping with Children
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
How about contacting your local Red cross, FEMA or CERT programs. Most of them have stuff the will give you to hand out and some will do a presentation. I know our local Red Cross has "Hurricane " packets for the kids including a neat reusable hurricane tracking map.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
Teach them knot making. I learned all kinds of useful knots from my Dad but it sure wasn't taught in Girl Scouts, although if I remember correctly it is taught in Boy Scouts. Many of the ones I learned I still use today for different things.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »
Basic woodworking.

Making a solar oven and then cooking something in it would be such a fun project.

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
I'm finding some of these ideas as well (knot making, solar cooker) in the older badge books for Girl Scouts. Sadly the NEW curriculum GSUSA is trying to encourage, is replicated school work at best, and a load of bunk and a waste of time at worst. (self esteem, anti-bullying, PSA type stuff mostly.) I got my hands on some old books based on classic badgework that is now considered an "entirely optional" part of girl scouting, but I will be planning my entire scout year based on old badgework. The old badge work rewards basic exposure to these skills at age 7-9, and then developing competence from ages 10+.

Sadly there is not even a marksmanship badge for Girl Scouts at any level. Some "extreme" troops I have found have their girls complete Boy Scout requirements for their marksmanship badges (BS badges that they "illegally" wear on their GS uniform. I love it). Not even a badge for air rifle and archery (which are offered at MANY GS camps.)

How sad that an organization that exists to even out the playing field between men and women does not reward achievement in ALL the same skills boys are rewarded for. I'm going to tuck this bug away and if one of my girls is interested in shooting later on, I'm going to encourage her to petition to GSUSA to create a marksmanship badge as a bronze or silver award project.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:18:13 PM by Dagny »

Offline LupaWolf

• Fledgling Prepper
    • TwoWolvesOutdoor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
when i was a GS leader not long ago, we did stretch some activities to include good outdoor and survival skills.
I used one of the Hoods Woods Cave Cooking videos for the instruction part of cooking badges.  The girls became very interested in doing various techniques, including solar cooking.  The box oven was also a favorite.

My girls, once they mastered the official GS way of making fire, learned other methods.  My Cadettes mastered fire steels using various tinder.  They also took a great interest in batoning wood... which is much safer for young women than using a hatchet or ax.   ;)

Of course we did water purification, first aid on many levels, plant walks and edible plant harvesting.  If you read the badges carefully, you will discover that many activities are suggestions and can be altered to, ah, fit your troop. 

I feel your pain.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
Not as much fun perhaps but possibly very important: I'm teaching my grandkids squad tactics.

Communicating by hand signals, the importance of silence, how to move in proper order. C&C. That sort of thing.

If push ever comes to shove and they have to do a night bug-out in a hurry, I'm hoping to have them able to do it in the dark and without a sound.

And without relying on anyone but themselves.

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Things I have taught my children as they grown

Gardening
Canning i.e. food prep
Animal Husbandry
Animal Care
Herbs & identifying local flora & fauna & how to use them

simple household items ... laundry with a washboard, hanging clothes on the line

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
^^That's awesome. 

I remember how I learned to identify mint.  I was in the side yard of a house we were renting and kept smelling mint.  I literally walked and sniffed around until I identified it.  So, I can identify mint.  Need to learn about other, useful things more likely to grow wild though. ;D

Offline Russet

• Prepper
    • The Blessed Bees
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
If you want to learn more, this is an awesome book. Excellent pictures and descriptions of the plants, also has how to harvest and use them.
http://www.amazon.com/Foragers-Harvest-Identifying-Harvesting-Preparing/dp/0976626608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286327485&sr=8-1
The Foxfire books are a good resource too

Offline MamaRhi

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
I'm a Girl Scout leader/teacher too and I've been really disappointed with the new directions they've taken with the program. At the GS camp I teach at, the girls still learn how to build a fire, cook and make solar ovens. The solar box ovens are great and both my kids know how to use them to make their own food! When I was a GS leader, I was teaching brownies/juniors how to do stuff like gardening, camping, and hiking. As a nature teacher at camp I tried to incorporate as much as I could about learning how to ID plants, growing your own food and wilderness safety.

With my own kids I teach them gardening, fire building, cooking, money management and anything else I come up with. My daughter is also into listening to the survival podcast, so she's getting a lot from that as well. They love earning "badges" so now I'm just making them up. I'm trying to develop a sort of "survival scouts" thing for them with their homeschool work so they can learn the skills I think they should know while having the fun of earning actual badges. My daughter now builds the fire when we want one and learns from her own mistakes when it doesn't go well.

I feel that the most useful skill you can teach other people's kids in a Girl Scout setting is how to grow their own food. It is amazingly empowering to know where your food comes from and how to produce it for yourself.

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Thought this might be an interesting read.  Hope it's the right place to post it.

http://www.brainchildmag.com/essays/fall2010_mayor.asp
Armageddon Mama
Parenting toward the Apocalypse

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/11.10/kids.html
Preparing kids for the unknown

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Good article. Thanks!

Offline Camouflage

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »
I have three kids, 5 1/2 boy & Twin Girls of Almost three

I take them Camping as often as I can, My lad watches (Only Watches)as I start Bonfires in various Ways

Teaching them about being Outdoors is a Great start to not Scaring them about Survival.