Author Topic: Need help assembling an EDC first aid kit.  (Read 28544 times)

Cucuy

Re: Need help assembling an EDC first aid kit.
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 12:52:45 PM »
I might have missed it somewhere up there, but you might want to throw in a breathing barrier.  Not necessarily one of those ones with a separate lung, but there are a lot of styles out there.  Especially if it's an every day carry you never know when you might have to go mouth to mouth with some stranger. ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »
Especially if it's an every day carry you never know when you might have to go mouth to mouth with some stranger. ;)

Or a monkey, for that matter!   :D

Cucuy

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
Yup, that monkey could be carrying all sorts of germs.  For that matter, so could Charlton Heston! :D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
Yup, that monkey could be carrying all sorts of germs.  For that matter, so could Charlton Heston! :D

*shudders* Charlton Heston is blech.    ;)

GUNN1313

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
given a choice between Charlton Heston and a monkey I would take the monkey.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
<gentle nudge> While Charlton Heston kissing a monkey is sure to spark a discussion, the topic is EDC first aid kit.

Einherjar

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
No kit should be without rubbing alcohol or Krazy Glue.  Rubbing alcohol is amazing stuff.  Its a fever reducer, a fuel source, a sore muscle rub, an antiseptic, a general purpose cleanser, the list goes on. Krazy glue is an old secret in the knife making industry.  Knife makers cut themselves so often they could never make that many trips to the ER for stitches.  Just clean the wound, dry, apply drop of krazy glue and pinch.  Good as new.

GUNN1313

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
Ha another person that knows the power of super glue. Not just for fixing your busted stuff any more. When you apply it though be sure to only get the top layers of skin. To much glue in the wound will make a barrier the will lead to complications in the healing proses. You want just to close the top layers of skin with just enough glue to keep it closed so the meat can still drain and heal just like stitches.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
Ha another person that knows the power of super glue. Not just for fixing your busted stuff any more. When you apply it though be sure to only get the top layers of skin. To much glue in the wound will make a barrier the will lead to complications in the healing proses. You want just to close the top layers of skin with just enough glue to keep it closed so the meat can still drain and heal just like stitches.

yeah I always just pinched the cut closed and put the super glue on the outside of the skin to hold it closed.

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
I was hoping someone with good knowledge could go over my two first aid kit lists and let me know what I don't need and what I am missing.

I have my St John Ambulance OHS Standard Level First Aid and CPR Level C with AED training. I have also had some experience with suturing.

I am looking for two kits, the first being an EDC stop the bleeding, out for a short walk/hike in an urban setting ect. The second a more compete kit to deal with bleeding and pain management for on camping/overland trips.

Also, I would like suggestions on storage. Do you like the rolls?? or packs?? These are the two I am thinking of:

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=MP-MMED1&Category_Code=MP-medical

www.blackhawk.com/product/Emergency-Medic-Roll,237,1372.htm

and my list:

2 zip lock bags
20 acetaminophen pills
20 ibuprofen
6 antiseptic wipes
6 band aids (regular)
2 band aids (knuckle)
6 packs steri strips
10 cotton swabs
10' duct tape
6 pairs Nitrile gloves
1 safety glasses
1 moleskin
4 roller gauze bandages
4 safety pins
2 triangle bandages
1 scissors
4 sterile dressings small
2 sterile dressings large
4 oil emulsion non adherent bandage
2 3' pieces of paracord
1 CPR mask
1 tweezers/forceps
1 SAM splint device

And for my bigger pack, all of the above plus:

2 trauma pads
Vet wrap
1 blood clot kit
2 suture kits
saline solution
Antibiotic Ointment
Antibiotics (tetracycline, amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin)
Codeine
Epi pen
Benadryl
Surgical knife/blade
After burn ointment?
Insect bite pen
Sunscreen
Steri-pen for water purification?
Cold packs
Hot packs

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
I kinda like the roll-out pack that lets you see everything so you don't have to fumble around very much, especially when you may be using only one hand.

That said, I will confuse the issue a little by linking to James Yeager's site; he has some amazing stuff: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_118 

James Yeager

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »
I kinda like the roll-out pack that lets you see everything so you don't have to fumble around very much, especially when you may be using only one hand.

That said, I will confuse the issue a little by linking to James Yeager's site; he has some amazing stuff: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_118 

Thanks for the mention.

.....The VOK is hard to beat!

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 10:08:05 PM »
Do you ship north of the border?  With USPS?

Thanks

James Yeager

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2009, 06:06:48 AM »
Do you ship north of the border?  With USPS?

Thanks

Daily.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »
I dont believe anyone has mentioned dental picks or mirrors.... I addition to tooth brush, paste/powder, and floss... I know this is supposed to be an EDC, but in my estimation EDC should included almost anything you need to get along if you had to get home or to your BOL...... Some ora-gel would help as well.... In addition to some topical novicane..... You would hate to have to pull your own tooth, but if you are treking for 5 days, a lot can happen and it only takes a couple days to get an infected tooth...... Also, since antibiotics dont store well, a small jar of honey or packets of sugar can help fight external skin infections and supplement a food supply.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
You can also include some of the temporary filling/cement that is available at your local drugstore. It can be used to glue a broken crown or filling back in place, or to just fill in a cavity; it's pretty neat stuff.

Bandaids with antiseptic in them will take up less space than both items separately.

Eyewash would be a good idea, as well as an antiseptic ointment, like Stye. The ointment will work better and last longer than drops. You just have to be ready for some blurry vision for about 10 minutes while the ointment is being absorbed.

If you able to acquire them, a hypodermic needle is great for removing slivers. [Tweezers are OK, but there isn't usually enough to get hold of with them.] You need a medium to large size needle, [19 gauge and an inch and a half long is just the right size], to do the job. The end has a nice beveled edge that you can use as a tiny scalpel, and literally slice right around or alongside, the sliver, and then just poke it out of the hole. It really doesn't hurt, since the needle is so small and sharp.  Flame sterilization will allow you to re-use it, too.

I got the idea from watching cataract surgery, when they were using a needle as a scalpel to remove the lens. (stop shuddering!) And, BTW, if you take some scotch tape and just barely touch the sticky part to the eye, you can most always get out the eyelash or tiny speck of whatever's in there irritating it.

Cucuy

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I like the needle idea, but I think they're cheap enough that you could just carry a couple.  Flame sterilization isn't 100% so I would just carry a few.  Make sure you have a small pill bottle or something like that so you can carry them safely till you can dispose of them properly.  You can usually get horse needles at the local feed store, around here they only cost like 25 cents or something like that.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »
I like the needle idea, but I think they're cheap enough that you could just carry a couple.  Flame sterilization isn't 100% so I would just carry a few.  Make sure you have a small pill bottle or something like that so you can carry them safely till you can dispose of them properly.  You can usually get horse needles at the local feed store, around here they only cost like 25 cents or something like that.

Great tips! Thanks!

avocado

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
A little overkill on what he is asking, everything this kit is designed for would need to be transported to definitive care, including major surgery to even survive.  I have never seen a patient with a tension pneumo that didn't need major surgery.  Great kit, but overkill for the original poster's needs.

You've got the start of a great kit, you may want to just look at a store bought kit and then assemble something from that.  Here is a link to a basic first aid compliment http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/firstaidkit.html

I would not say that a VOK is overkill at all. If you just have a boo boo kit then that is all you can work with, boo boo's. but if you ahve and know how to use a VOK then you have some power. You can actually try and deal with life threatening situations whereas with just a general first aid kit you can really only sit back and watch or desperately improvise. Look at the most common life threatening injuries in urban areas:

1] car vs. car
2] car vs. bike
3] car vs. softest pedestrians

Now were you first on scene to a car vs. -blank- what could you get done with a general first aid kit? not much. But with a VOK and some hemostats you can deal with massive bleeding, puncture wounds and so on.

When i looked at my general EDC kit I realized that pretty much everything in there only took care of stuff that most people can shrug off and deal with till they get elsewhere. the ACE/stretch bandage and ice rub were pretty much the stars of the show, apart from some counter-pains and athletic tape. After that all the bandaids and wipes in the world dont really do much. But if you have a VOK with hemostats that you know how to use then you can actually have a dramatic impact in a serious situation.

-chris

Offline kbg

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
I will send you a copy of my medical DVD and two VOKs (one to open and use while watching the video and the other to keep) in exchange for an unbiased review to be posted here.

Just like James Yeagers kit the "new" Army Individual First Aid Kit is something to look at after years of research they have come up with the majority of trauma can be TEMPERAROLY be contained in an emergency situation.  I think that at very least if you have been trained to use the following you should carry them at a minimum.

Combat Application Tourniquet (can be applied with one hand)
Trauma Israeli Dressing 
Nasal Pharyngeal Airway
Sanitary Gloves
Compressed Gauze
Roll of Surgical Tape

Also during my time in Iraq I saw many operators that would carry multiple of these same types of tourniquet's with the thought that you can cut off the blood/oxygen to a muscle for a few hours without permanent damage when you look at the alternative as possibly bleeding out this is a great solution. Within my EMS community this same approach hasn't yet been adopted and still see a tourniquet as last resort. 

This is just my experience I am only an EMT-B and a 7 year combat soldier I am NOT a medical professional.

Offline Hoxbar

• Survivor
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
As a Fireman/Emt for the last 7 years I feel I have some experience with this topic.  I don't carry a Tourniquet, mainly because in the last 7 years I have yet to find a wound that the bleeding could not be stopped either from direct pressure on a pressure point on the body. If I was to find bleeding I could not control I always wear a belt and could use this, this way it's not taking up unnecessary room in my bag.

Nasal Pharyngeal Airway: have you ever used one??? They are almost never needed, I'm sure they get allot of use in combat situations but in real life accidents ( car wrecks, gun shot wounds etc) they are not needed if you have adequate training. Chances are if you have a patient that needs one and you have no EMS available he's DOA anyway.
This is what is my personal medic bag.

Pocket face mask w/ oneway valve (for CPR)
4X4 bandages
Tape
EMT Sheers
Antimicrobial wipes
plastic food wrap, (for sucking chest wounds)
burn gel
pen light
Pencil
small note pad
tweezers
insect bite swabs
triple antibiotic ointment
various bandaids
instant icepack
two pairs of latex gloves
Sam splint
Co-ban Wrap
Couple rolls of gauze
One large triangular bandage.
Oral glucose
That's the basics I carry, I carry a BP cuff and stethoscope, and a blood glucose meeter too.

Offline ExpatBen

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Modern Self Protection
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »
There is so much great stuff out there that you can actually buy good kits now.  I keep a small "stub your tow" kit around that I bought from Walmart for little things. 

I keep a true blowout kit with my bug-out, shooting, rescue, and tac gear.  I only put the things in the kit I know how to use.  Having a kit to do a tracheotomy is probably not going to help me, especially because I can't do one.  If someone else is to use your kit, you will probably be dead by the time they find your kit in with all the other stuff you carry. 

The kit needs to be personalized, carried on the outside of your stuff, and marked.  Put those things that you know how to use in yours.  I keep IV kit, needles for a tension pneumothorax, a Nasopharyngeal (Nasal) Airway, Quick Clot sponges, gauze, tape, and a bunch of old school military bandages, and tourniquets.  That covers the extent of my medical knowledge.  If you don't know what these things are, or what they do, not a lot of sense in carrying them, is there?

I suggest that everyone get training, starting at someone like the Red Cross and working up to TCCC or advanced combat medic stuff.  Then you will know which kit to buy or how to build your own.

The military IFAC kits someone was suggesting, is a start.  Add some good tourniquets and you have a good start.

Bottom line, whatever you get, learn how to use it, your life may depend on it.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
Training....Training....Training

they most important part of your kit is your skills.

The most complete kit is useless if you don't know how to use what is in it. What good is a NPA if you don't know how or when to use it, and possibly harmful if used with certain a skull fracture. A chest dart can turn a pnemothorax into a hemothorax in a minute if used improperly. Sutures are another item I see in a lot of kit list that should not be in most kit.  I have suture, but at home, put away only to be used in a  SHTF situation where proper medical personal are not and will not be available. Closing a wound without proper technique and that has not been treated properly can result in a very poor outcome on a minor injury. This is of course all cautionary.

I will not offer a list, there are thousands of them already out there and what is appropriate to my level of training my not be appropriate for yours. Further more there are procedures that I use every day at work (paramedic) that I cannot use when I am not at work. Be wary of kit list you find online.  I have found some stupid items listed.

The key is stock your kit to your level of training, and be 100% on every item in your kit.  If you buy a kit that has an item that you are not 100% on, take it out till you can get proper training.

Some have listed course you can take. CPR, Red cross first aid, Basic EMT,  and a multitude of others are available from fire departments, hospitals, CERT teams etc...

Now, on to kit theory.

I consider three types of kits.  Each type can have a multitude of types that can be sub categorizes or specific needs kits 

Master kit
large well supplied kit kept in the home or at base camp

Car Kit
medium kit that can be customized to whatever you like. Mine is a rather simple trauma kit with a BVM and OPA.  The idea is if I come across a MVC I have some supplies to deal with the situation till an ambulance can arrive.

EDC
Must be small or it will not be EDC.  I will customize my EDC for what my expected situation is likely to be.  Quite often is is simply a large clean bandana and a pocket knife. I can improvise a bandage, sling, ties for a splint, etc from a simple bandana. Anything else I want to add to my kit will make it more bulky and less likely that I will carry it. When I am out on a Cub Scout activity, I bulk up my EDC, but not by a lot. Just enough to get me to my car it or master kit for minor treatment, or transport of something more serious.

I know that I did not answer your question, but I hope my rambling helps

James Yeager

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »
A VOK tutorial:

VOK

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
Note I have NO AFFILIATION other than a satisfied customer with Practicaltrauma.com
I bought one of these for each of my cars and am very satisfied with the quality, layout, and content of these bags.
They seem to have recently added GSW kits as well, different than the tactical response kits, but decent all the same.
I added a handful of things such as a couple of cheap walmart beanie baby knockoffs (helps calm kids)

The First Responder trauma bag  http://www.practicaltrauma.com/respond.shtml
B

The bag is 18 W x 7 H x 10 D.

A Refill is available to restock this Kit. Refills are also useful for training purposes, allowing users to train with the actual medical supplies without having to open the supplies in the Kit itself.
Contents

# Personal Safety/CPR 10 pair Gloves
# 1 pair Safety Goggles
# 1 CPR Microshield®

Minor Cuts and Scrapes
# 60 Adhesive bandages
# 10 Butterfly Bandages
# 25 - 2x2 Gauze Pads (2 packs)
# 2 Tongue Blades/Finger Splints
# 1 Roll Plastic Medical Tape, 1 inch

Larger Injuries/Trauma
# 1 pair Trauma Shears