Author Topic: The pen is mightier than the sword...  (Read 5280 times)

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
The pen is mightier than the sword...
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »
I've been looking for a good pen that can double as a kubotan. I've seen some on the internet that were in excess of $100 (which is ridiculous for a pen). Plus there is the question as to TSA having issues as you pass through the airport.

Thoughts or ideas anyone?

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: The pen is mightier than the sword...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »
Interestingly, my dojo is a series on kubotan now...

I am using the Cold Steel SHARKIE markey, also knows as the Pocket Shark.

Smith and Wesson makes an excellent tactical pen as well....

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
+1 on the Cold Steel Sharkie pen, and it writes too.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »
I have the rite in the rain tactical pen in my notebook pouch. (in the centerline of the notebook pouch for everyday carry.  I only put it in my shirt pocket when I can't carry a knife).

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weatherproof-Tactical-Clicker/dp/B000QBPZKS/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

Its tough as nails, rites anywhere (I've tested it underwater on the wright in the rain notebook and it works).

Its also much smaller than the cold steel.

I've carried it through the airport in my shirt pocket twice without a second glance.

inbox485

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
I've been looking for a good pen that can double as a kubotan. I've seen some on the internet that were in excess of $100 (which is ridiculous for a pen). Plus there is the question as to TSA having issues as you pass through the airport.

Thoughts or ideas anyone?

CS Sharkie and the S&W pen both seemed nice, but I never got one because I carry a flashlight for that purpose and I would avoid a name brand that any LEO would recognize as having been marketed as a weapon if you want it for airport use.

I would just look at good solid executive pens, or a "tactical" pen that doesn't have any industry markings on it.

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »
i bought the embassy pen, nice writer and seems really sturdy

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »
After 2 years of faithfull service and terrible abuse in a soft case in my back pocket (I pity anything in my back pocket).  It finally broke.  That pen survived 2 years in my back pocket, it would survive a lifetime in a shirt pocket. 

Now I get to go shopping again.  Should I be this giddy?   ;D

Offline TeamStone

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
I bought a Cold Steel Sharkie recently and I concur with donaldj's recommendation of it.

I've had a more expensive "tactical" pen, but I like the bang-for-the-buck value of the Sharkie better.

It is well made, but inexpensive enough to essentially consider it to be disposable if necessary.

I just did a quickie review of it with a few photos and some description of it if you want a little more detail:
http://teamstone6.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-cold-steel-sharkie.html

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
MilSpecIA, there is a nicely priced alternative to those expensive "tactical" pens.  It is called the Zebra 707 and is for sale at your local WalMart.  Cost is under $7.00.  It is made of metal, is sturdy enough to use as a weapon, has a diamond shaped "grip" engraved near the writing end, and qualifies as a tactical pen in the ballistic pen discussions on the internet.  Is it as nice as those $100 pens you're looking at?  No, no it is not.  But in a pinch it will get the job done.

I found an link to an old discussion about the Zebra 701, back before the Zebra 707 came out.  They talk about this cheap alternative, so I'll leave you the link to read.

http://10mmman.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/tactical-pens-worth-it-or-get-zebra-f-701/

Honestly, a tactical pen, no matter how cool it might be, is a last ditch weapon to be used as an absolute last resort.  A Zebra 707 will get the job done if you're in that situation and decide to wield it against an assailant.  Ask yourself if those expensive pens are worth that much more than the cheap Zebra 707.  What advantage do they really have over the cheap pen that is strong enough to stand up to the abuse of stabbing an assailant?  Just about any cheap knife on the market will outperform even the most expensive tactical pens, so how much do you really want to spend on a writing pen that can never come close to matching a $5 knife?

I looked into this a while back as an option for when I'm flying or in a place that will not allow me to carry my pocket knife.  I chose the Zebra 707 and paid under $7 for it.  It will not fall apart on me if I use it as a weapon, did not cost me a lot of money, will accept Fisher Space Pen cartridges (the ones that write upside down in freezing cold temperatures), and in addition to all that, it makes a nifty writing pen.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Offline Nadja*isk*en*isk*ie

• Prepper
  • Don’t confuse tools with root causes.
    • (my) Everyday-Carry Keychain
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:45 AM »
MilSpecIA, there is a nicely priced alternative to those expensive "tactical" pens.  It is called the Zebra 707

I use this pen and have never had it confiscated whilst trying to go through airport security. Being as cheap as it is I would not care much if it was taken from me.  My Surefire on the other hand...