Author Topic: Spent The Day Hunting Red Squirrels & Fishing For Pike  (Read 2405 times)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Spent The Day Hunting Red Squirrels & Fishing For Pike
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
Well I've been spending the last few weeks at my in-laws in northern Minnesota and since I drove out here I brought along my new (but old) Winchester 9422 rifle. They have about 40 acres and I just got done spending a couple of hours hunting red squirrels and I got 2 of them today, not bad for a couple of hours and open sights on the rifle. I saw 4 but was only able to get a bead on 2 of them. It was allot of fun and I haven't hunted squirrels since I was about 16. The red squirrels chase off the gray squirrels and are more of a nuisance here so my father in law was really happy with the news, and on top of it we are going to cook them tonight for dinner along with a couple of northern pike I caught this morning.

Just thought I would share my story, I can't wait to get back to Washington state and look at a couple of hunting/vacation properties I've found.

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Spent The Day Hunting Red Squirrels & Fishing For Pike
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
Sounds like a good time.  Is there a difference between the meat of red and grey squirrels?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  Is there a difference between the meat of red and grey squirrels?
Our red squirrels (in Missouri) are typically larger than our gray squirrels & they aren't as ghosty (they don't run away).

They're more likely to hang around, or not run away as quick from a missed shot too.  I've actually had them come closer to me when I've missed them with my recurve or longbow.

The meat tastes the same IMO.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »
***sigh***

I need to get out of the city....

congrats on your gathering!!!!