Author Topic: Aproach as to how to get wife on board!  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Vandido

• Prepper
Aproach as to how to get wife on board!
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to prepping myself.  Ive been sneakingly doing some here and there without having the wife notice.  I believe two minds with a common goal are way better than one.  She is not totally against me doing the prepping its just that she doesn't want much to do with it.  Of course to her I'm a bit paranoid and that the whole idea is bit too much for her!

She doesn't know that i have been introducing her to some of the prepping ideas.  For instance, we started a raised bed vegetable garden (a small one 7 x 3) She enjoyed the new skill learned.  We have managed to consolidate our debt and really start cranking to pay it off and really watch our spending.  If its not an absolute need we wont purchase it!

I have to say, my wife has come a long way.... she was all nails and hair and high heels!  Now she seems like shes getting a Lil dirty under the nails here and there.  But the point is although shes doing all of this she does not know the message behind the scenes! I'm  not expecting her to drop everything that shes used to now, and just get down and dirty right away and hide in a shelter (i believe that's what she pictures in her mind).

I don't know how to go about it.  Ive tried explaining to her before and she will either dismiss it or just not get any of it!

Maybe i got it all wrong (the message, the idealism of prepping). Maybe I'm talking too Cavemanish.

Ive been looking through the forum and all i can find are checklists.  I haven't found a specific forum that covers the reason as to why we should do this, the importance. 

My plan is to show my wife this thread and let her know that I'm not trying to scare her, but live a better life with her and our 3yr old daughter soon to be 4. For us to live a normal lives with a cause. 

I would greatly appreciate all the helpfull comments and i will post up any and all progress! Thank YOU!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Aproach as to how to get wife on board!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
check out the "flip that spouse" thread.  there are 7 pages of how to use stealth to get a spouse on board.  Not to do it behind her back, so to speak, but to bring her into it.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.0

also, there are some other threads about the threat-probability matrix.  That will help her see that prepping isn't about TEOTWAWKI, but about a week-long power outage, or the storm that is ripping through town or the flood that is covering your house.  About the job that is no longer.  It is living a better life if times get tough, or even if they don't.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

+1 Morning Sunshine. I couldn't have said it better. As long as you approach it as just making your lives better in case anything even minor ever happens it's a lot easier to accept.

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
Vandido,

Wife and stay at home momma here who finally came around to the idea last November that we needed to prep.  It hit me one weekend that I was getting more uncomfortable about the decisions that were coming out of Washington and the health of our economy.  I had been watching Glenn Beck and attended a couple of Tea Party events but that was it.  My husband had beat around the bush but he never came right out and said we need to prepare for difficult times.  So when it finally dawned on me that TS could HTF I started doing things to prepare for a total collapse.  My mindset has changed now as the months have gone.  I have realized that by doing food storage, growing a garden, learning to preserve food and make most of our food from scratch our family is getting so many benefits.  I LOVE having a large food pantry because that means that I don't have to run to the grocery store when something runs out and sometimes I just don't have to go at all.  We dehydrate a lot of food and on some days I can have dinner ready by just throwing ingredients in a crock pot..no chopping and no cleaning.  How easy is that (see dehydrate2store.com for how quickly Tammy throws food together).  As a mom and wife I feel great knowing that I'm giving my family wholesome food with less or no preservatives.  By buying in bulk and storing food we are reducing our food costs - it costs more upfront but in it's great knowing that I can sometimes save 25-50% on something I know we'll use anyway down the road.  It also gives me some peace of mind that if we have a natural disaster (we live in hurricane land) that we have supplies to get us through.  We spent a week without power, cable and phone lines when Ike hit and that was an eye opener.  We lived in the "lap of luxury" compared to people who were not prepared at all.  Another thing I keep at the back of my mind is if our family experiences a job loss we'll have some cushion.  Along the way I stopped thinking of preparing for the worst case scenario and realized that I was feeling more empowered by that fact that our family isn't as reliant on the system.  We still have a ways to go but we have our goal in mind.  It's quite a turn around from where we were 3-4 years ago.  We spent money without a second thought, dinners every Friday at fancy restaurants, I shopped regularly at Ann Taylor stores, nice vacations etc.

My husband and I listened to Crash Proof 2.0 on audio..it was very informative but it was very serious, dry and loaded with info.  Since then Peter Schiff has written a light version to explain the same concepts.  Another option if and when you decide to tackle the economic aspect is to watch some a couple of vids by InflationUs on youtube.  They have a new documentary called Meltup another eye opener is Hyperinflation Nation.