Author Topic: Non-survivalist friends?  (Read 23344 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Non-survivalist friends?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Totally agree.  I think there is a base understanding among preppers of what COULD happen and what things could turn out to be like down the road, and knowing that can be a little scary and helps us to look at things a bit more objectively. (And welcome anyone who "Catches that bug" so to speak as potential allies).  That baseline seems to be the underlying guide or string that creates a commonality out of a wide group of different people with such a varied background, ideology and interests.

Offline Shiba

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
Hello! I stumbled upon TSP a few days ago and I love it! I've listened to a number of the podcasts and I am hooked. I'm really enjoying the forum. I'm looking forward to learning from all the great members here.

This topic is so true! I have people near and dear to me that don't quite get it. What MediumFrenchFry said is spot on, people are just too comfortable where they are. They cannot imagine the infrastructure that we rely on as a society (transportation, electricity, food, etc) not being there to support them. My 2 cents that I wanted to add, is that I used to be that person that was oblivious. I didn't think prepping was crazy, I just didn't understand why people would be that into it. My husband and I had friends that would talk to us and we certainly had similar beliefs about the world, but I can say I didn't get it. Thankfully, my friends didn't write us off and suggested other websites I might be interested in. Then one day it just clicked for me. And I've been voraciously reading and learning since! So while some people are not interested, and never will be, I keep offering information to those who don't show an aversion to the idea, I know it's likely that one day they will come across some bit of info (like I did) that brings it home to them. So don't give up on 'em all! They may be like I was...I didn't know I was a latent prepper just waiting for someone to enlighten me!  ;) 

It's a pleasure to meet you ladies and know there are those going through similar issues and I look forward to future conversations. Have a fabulous evening to all!

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »
Hi Shiba, welcome to the forum. I'm delighted you "woke up" and I'm hoping more and more do also. It just makes sense that we should be ready, willing, and able to take care of ourselves and our families with what we have if the time ever comes that it's necessary.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
Hello! I stumbled upon TSP a few days ago and I love it! I've listened to a number of the podcasts and I am hooked. I'm really enjoying the forum. I'm looking forward to learning from all the great members here.

Hey there Shiba - Welcome to the forum!  Glad you've joined us - please stop by the Intro Thread on the Front Porch and introduce yourself there as well.  If I can ever do anything to help you just yell or PM me. Blessings TBM

Offline Emily

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
My approach when talking with DGI friends/relatives is to tell them I am taking courses to stimulate my brain cells.  They already know I garden and raise chickens and am a "little different."  As a late 60s woman, I can get away with saying I want to learn, because it is better for my (mental) health to learn new stuff all the time, so I don't get bored...and it is fun to learn.  I recently passed my first Ham radio test, took an NRA basic pistol safety course (to review mostly from one taken several years ago), and am taking an EMT course...not for certification, but to learn.  With a friend I am taking a primitive firemaking and cordage course soon.  Life gets pretty boring without learning about new stuff, and that's one way you can draw others into learning some of the self-sufficiency skills without exposing the real reason behind what you are doing.
I like another poster's idea of showing up people...not for the sake of showing up, but to get them to be more interested in cooking from scratch...a round about way to help them learn to be prepared, but it is extremely hard to get people to understand how much food is needed to sustain a family for three or six or twelve months.  That takes real effort.  Having canning-bees would help some get started with canning and may lead to other food storage projects.
Like any good educational strategy, learning must be fun or at least pleasant or satisfying.
The EMT class I attend is full of people who come with their McDonald's meal and the instructors bring in snacks like chips, pretzels, cookies, etc.  I brought in a watermelon last time.  I've brought in "test games" like what bird did these eggs come from...had an bantie blue easter egg, a regular hen brown egg, a duck egg and a goose egg, or another time brought in four herbs for them to identify.  Tonight I will bring in leaves from fruit plants:  strawberry, blackberry, rhubarb (not really a true fruit, but eaten as such), blueberry, and peach.  I'm sure none will have a clue, but it gets them thinking, hopefully, about where food comes from.  Another time I'll paste four types of vegetable seeds to a paper plate and see if they can identify them and what could be expected if they grew them.
None of this costs me anything, but may get some people thinking!!!
Most of these people will never be friends, let alone survivalist friends, but maybe if they prepare just a little they won't be out on the streets looking to steal from others...at least in a short term event...long term, all bets are off.