Author Topic: Phase 1food preps complete!  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
Phase 1food preps complete!
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
Sorry I only have the camera on my phone thats why the pics are so grainy.

You are looking at 2 5 gal buckets full of rice, 2 5 gal buckets full of flour, and 2 5 gal buckets full of beans. Since the company I ordered from made a mistake and sent me double the oxygen absorbers and mylar of what I ordered, I am now collecting food more slowly to fill up another 6 five gallon buckets. This next time around I definately want powdered milk, potato flakes, pancake mix and probably pasta. If feels good to have a bulk supply of food that you know will last at least a decade and if all else fails at least I wont starve to death. I kind of look at it like a form of insurance. I plan on filling up the top shelve of the closet with canned goods of the kind that I like to eat. Which means lots of soup, spam (yes i actually do like spam), and baked beans! yum.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Phase 1food preps complete!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Congrats and good start on.

And you aren't the only one that likes Spam.  I wish my wife liked it also.  But since she doesn't, The kids and I can only have Spam when the wife won't be eating with us.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
Congrats and good start on.

And you aren't the only one that likes Spam.  I wish my wife liked it also.  But since she doesn't, The kids and I can only have Spam when the wife won't be eating with us.

Ah hah hah my woman hates spam too! She gives me that "WTF....gross!" look whenever I pull some out of the pantry. I feel for you. I dont have kids yet but when I do I must remember to teach them the ways of spam.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
Flour doesn't store long. I think 2-4 months is the suggested lifespan. All the preppers I know, and the Mormons, store the wheat whole.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »
I second what Chris stated but I would add that it can keep longer if you can manage to freeze it. I am not sure where you live but if it's still cold or if you have a chest freezer stick the buckets in there for 4-7 days. That should kill any flour weevil eggs you may have in your stock, thus increasing the storage life of your flour. Way to go on getting started and kudos on the photos!

Offline cdunlop

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:35:22 AM »
It may sound gross, but I like Syrup on my spam! 

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
It may sound gross, but I like Syrup on my spam! 

Naw. I like mine with miracle whip and crackers so I dont judge.

I froze it all for two weeks in a deep freezer and from what Ive read on the internet if white all purpose foulr is sealed in mylar with oxygen absorbers you can get quite a few years out of it.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
Congrats! I just finished doing some preps myself. I am going to order more mylar and oxygen absorbers...especially since I got a dehydrator now.  :D

Spam might very well be processed zombie meat (hence why we don't see too many of them - makes me wonder about the connection Chris made about ZS), but I love it too. My friends and fiancee looks at me weird, but Spam is good. Also, they will last forever if the can is never opened.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »

I froze it all for two weeks in a deep freezer and from what Ive read on the internet if white all purpose foulr is sealed in mylar with oxygen absorbers you can get quite a few years out of it.

I like to bake a whole loaf with brown sugar coated all over it.  Good eatin.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »

I was always taught that white flour stores laess than a year, but after reading, you might be right. Old habits die hard.

Winchester32

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »

I've always been under that impression also.  As long as it is sealed tight with O2, it is good for a couple of years.  I'm going to double check.