Author Topic: Your Favorite Camping Photo  (Read 16721 times)

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
Your Favorite Camping Photo
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Jack's call for camping photos got me to looking for those we had taken over the years, and I thought I'd share. I'd love to see some of your favorites, too!

And for those of you who would like some instructions on how to post a picture: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=756.0

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
Re: Your Favorite Camping Photo
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »
Usually when I go camping, I go to get away from technology. So, I don't usually bring a camera. Perhaps sometime I ought to.

Really nice pictures, by the way.

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »
Things went horribly wrong at my last camping trip...

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:59:26 AM »
That's hilarious!  :D
It does explain the hair, though.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »

Family trip a few years back. Cobscook Bay State Park.

Offline Thoreau

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
Oh my, a photo thread...  *inhales deeply*...

Work-sponsored whitewater rafting trip:

Sedona, AZ with some friends

Grand Canyon

Ash Creek - Mt. Graham, AZ

Backpacking the Grand Canyon (first time)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »
Breath taking photos.  God I love the high mountain desert type pics and GREEN EVERYWHERE Pics.  I live for green  ;D.

Wish I'd have carried a camera in my younger days, lots of incredible memories but very few photos.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
Awesome pics Thoreau!   I just got a new computer, but I'll post some once I get my pics moved over.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
Thoreau - Can you teach how to get that stars shot?  It's so perfect, it looks photoshopped.  I know it's not.  But when I try to get pics like that, I either end up with too much light in the photo, or the stars move too quickly, and I get tracers.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Things went horribly wrong at my last camping trip...

Sorry, had to include this...

:D

BTW, great camping pics so far!

Offline Thoreau

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
Breath taking photos.  God I love the high mountain desert type pics and GREEN EVERYWHERE Pics.  I live for green  ;D.

Wish I'd have carried a camera in my younger days, lots of incredible memories but very few photos.

Green is definitely one of those colors I don't see often living in Phoenix, but when I do, it's definitely a great change of pace.  Most people never realize just how much variety there is in Arizona with just a few hours of driving in any given direction =)

Thoreau - Can you teach how to get that stars shot?  It's so perfect, it looks photoshopped.  I know it's not.  But when I try to get pics like that, I either end up with too much light in the photo, or the stars move too quickly, and I get tracers.

I'm probably a horrible source for teaching as I'm really more lucky than skilled, but that shot was definitely a fun one to take.

It was taken from my campsite at Indian Gardens in the canyon at probably 4 in the morning.  ZERO light coming from anywhere else (no cities or other major light sources anywhere near there.)  That one is JUST starting to get hints of trails on the stars because of the length o the exposure.  The longer the exposure, the more trailing you'll get.  The settings were:

Aperture:  f/2.8
Focal Length: 24mm
ISO:  400
Shutter Speed:  30 seconds

The wide open aperture lets in as much light as possible which helps reduce the need for a long shutter or high ISO.  The relatively high ISO being 400 in turn helped reduce the shutter speed some more, even so, it still took the full 30 seconds that my camera maxes out at (without a remote for bulb mode) to get enough light.  I probably could've caught a few more faint stars, and made the bright ones brighter, by bumping the ISO up some more but that would've also introduced more noise than I'd want.  Even though it was cold and the sensor wasn't going to get too warm from the longer shots, I was afraid of going too high and getting ISO noise that would end up being confused for stars and vice versa.

Long story short... trial and error is your friend.  I probably took 40 shots from that spot and that was one of only two that I thought came out decently.  I wanted it a LITTLE brighter to try and outline the canyon rim along the bottom, but kinda missed out on that effect =(

Oh, I also was (obviously) on a tripod and set the camera to the 10 second self timer so that after i pressed the shutter release button, it gave the whole rig 10 seconds to lose any vibrations my hand caused.  Helps with clarity a bit.  Also, it was all on manual focus since the camera had almost no luck trying to lock onto the faint stars for a focus lock.  Tripod = DEFINITELY the biggest bit to those shots though:

Also somewhat related as an example of what a LOT of spare time and trial/error can sometimes produce.  It truly (in my case) is about luck more than anything else =)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Nice photo rig there thoreau - my wife won't let me go nutty on digital SLR's  yet. (I still have 2, 35mm SLR's - now worth zilch)

Offline Thoreau

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
Nice photo rig there thoreau - my wife won't let me go nutty on digital SLR's  yet. (I still have 2, 35mm SLR's - now worth zilch)

I'd bet you actually pay a LOT more attention to composition and the various settings though when you take a shot since it isn't digital.  I kinda wish I had taken the time to learn on film first for that very reason instead of starting out with rapid-fire-keep-shooting-until-something-decent-comes-out methodology =)

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
Beautiful pictures, love the macro shots of the leaves and the mushroom - very cool!  Thanks for giving new life to the thread. 

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »
I'd bet you actually pay a LOT more attention to composition and the various settings though when you take a shot since it isn't digital.  I kinda wish I had taken the time to learn on film first for that very reason instead of starting out with rapid-fire-keep-shooting-until-something-decent-comes-out methodology =)
I love a full manual camera. My favorite part of photography is portrait / still work - I like to use BW and a fixed focus 135mm lens. I am an aperture junkie - I tend to always set that first and then work everything else to fit.

I have Nikon and Canon digitals that do 99% of my pics these days.

The reason I don't have a DSLR - I really want a Nikon D90 with a 80-200mm f/2.8D lens. Just those two pieces is over $1500.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
I got my wife the Nikon D80 a couple years ago.  Incredible camera.  I was considering upgrading to the D90 but that is just a bit out of our range.  Unfortunately, my wife dropped thr D80 and broke the 135 lens, right now all we have is the big telephoto.  still debating on just replaceing the lens or getting the D90.  My wife is a great photographer and I'd love to get it for her, but budget is saying lens only.  But at $800, the lens is half the cost of the D90.   

Decisions, decisions LOL

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
These are not exactly my favorite camping photos, but they represent my favorite camping activities...kayaking and hammocking. I lost all my good photos when my laptop died a while back.

This was my river camp during an overnighter trip some time ago.  Campmor Versatile 10'X10' Tarp, Clark North American Jungle Hammock and Old Town Predator K140 kayak.

Here's a shot from a chilly winter kayak-campout on the Northwestern tip of Lake Okeechobee this past year, smack dab in the middle of a cypress swamp. It was dry this time of year, but would normally be underwater during the rainy Florida summers. Same set-up as above, but I sold the Clark North American and upgraded to the NX-250 model. My buddy's set-up (on the left) is a Eagle's Nest Outfitters "Single Nest" hammock and Guardian bug netting.

Offline Thoreau

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »
Now you're making me wanna get into kayaking!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:58:06 PM by Thoreau »

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

mtman

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Glacier National Park, Montana. I use to live 30 miles away.

Weeping Wall

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:58:41 PM by mtman »

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
Some great photos here. While my favorite pictures doesn't necessarily represent any great photographic expertise or landscape, I love it because of the people and the trip we were on. It was taken at some campsite during our cross-country camping trip to CO.

The second I added because my wife really loves this photo, loves to show it off, and it was discussed earlier. But this was taken with our D200 on that same trip, out to window of the vehicle, as I was driving 75+ mph down the highway. She was so excited she got a decent picture.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Fishin Magician - AWESOME photos.  I'm so jealous of that second photo.

I absolutely love both the ENO hammock and the Clark hammock.  And I'm super jealous of your kayak.  Looks like you had an amazing time.  :)

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »
Here are a couple more.

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline trooper dan

• Prepper
  • Cycle, work, invest, sleep, eat, repeat.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline Tofumilkshake

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
I wish I could spend more time camping.  These are amoung my favs:

Cooking for the guys

Brothers

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
 Last spring I took off for a few days in the woods behind my parents place. As a kid, I played, camped and hunted there constantly. I had sent up camp, and was gathering firewood when something on the ground caught my eye. I moved the leaves and debris, and there it was. The canteen that I had lost when I was either 11 or 12. I carried it back to camp and snapped this picture. I thought about bringing it home, but I figured that after being in those woods for 33 or 34 years, it deserved to stay there.  It's still sitting at an area I cleared out for firewood on future outings.  ;D How great to find such a reminder of my youth laying in the woods like that.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
That is soooo Cool dawgus.  A little piece of history.  I found a little plastic indian from when I was 8 or 9 that had been lost at my grandfathers house.  It now sits on top of my computer to remind me of those good times.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
Yes, that is a very cool story, Dawgus.

Offline 1022

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »