Author Topic: Boo Boos and Mom's Saliva (minor wound module)  (Read 5809 times)

walker

Boo Boos and Mom's Saliva (minor wound module)
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
Minor wound module

Now here is some exciting medical stuff!  For thousands of years folks have been slathering stuff on wounds, some are beneficial to outright harmful.  Keep Mom's kisses off the wound site and keep it out of your own damn mouth!  Dad's, don't tell them to "go rub some dirt on it"!  Even among many medical professionals including nurses, medics, midlevels, physicians, and Moms (notice how Mom is capitalized as this denotes respect to her superiority), this continues to be hotly debate with many falsehoods.  I won't get into the details of assorted myths here, but the fact is the vast majority of minor clean wounds need nothing more than a little preventative protection and time to heal.

Here are some simple tips to help determine if evacuation to a higher level of care is warranted:
The wound is deep enough that you can see fat or muscle tissue.
The wound is accompanied by a severe underlying musculoskeletal injury.  (compound fractures sometimes pierce the skin then retract below the surface)
The injured person cannot flex/extend (against resistance) the nearby joints.
Significant numbness or lack of circulation to the extremity.
The injured person is at high risk for complications (diabetic, poor circulation, immune problems, etc.)
The bleeding does not respond to direct pressure after 20 min., (taking “blood thinners”?).
There is a potential for a piece of broken material (large foreign body) inside the wound.
The wound is the result of a bite (hand wounds from punching someone in the mouth included tough guys & gals!).
The wound becomes infected.
Mom or your Wife told you to.  (Observational Theory: Mama's boys and married men live longer for good reasons.)
All of the above are advanced wounds, this is another topic for another day.

Note: For minor wounds, you have to look into the wound, gently pull the skin apart and look at it, only then can you determine if you can treat it.

Initial minor wound treatment:
Flush a DIRTY wound (with reasonable pressure) with 1Qt. clean water (many field expedient methods can help), I don't soak wounds and I don't use saline, iodine solution, hydrogen peroxide, or soapy water because there is good evidence that clean water is best. (Mom don't shake your finger at me!)
Apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops, if you can see dirt carefully pick it out (forceps) and flush again
Apply a light coating (not much, just a thin coat) of bacitracin ointment, then bandage for battle.

Follow-up minor wound treatment:
Change dressings 2 times per day (sooner if they become wet or dirty), check for infection, add a light coating of bacitracin ointment (not much, just a thin coat)
Keep the wound covered! do not “air it out” (Sorry Mom), do not let it get so moist that the wound edges deteriorate

As I add the different “modules” to the kit, I make note of duplicate items and usually keep only one set of each item. Here is what I carry in my 3-day remote care first-aid kit for MINOR wounds:
3 pr. Nitril gloves
1 small bottle of anti-septic hand cleaner
1 small roll duct tape (I cut my own “super band-aids”, but might throw in a couple snoopy ones for the kids  ;D)
6 2x3” Telfa (non-adherent) dressings
6 4x4 gauze dressings
2 4X4 Petrolatum Gauze (favorite for abrasions and oozing wounds)
1 roll 2” Coban
1 pr. Splinter picker forceps (for both splinters and picking out dirt)
1 18ga Needle (helps with splinters/cactus spines)
New Skin liquid bandage
Bacitracin Ointment
1 pr small iris scissors
1 1qt. Zip-lock freezer bag (for irrigation, and other multi-uses)
Tincture of Benzoine (multi-use) used to improve bandage adhesion and prevent bandage movement

I always also have in other locations of kit:
1 butane lighter (to flame the forceps before use)
1-2 Qts Clean Water (to flush a dirty wound)

(Don't take my advice without proper training, ALWAYS consult your medical provider before taking ANY medications OR providing medical treatment.)
(Thank you lawyers  >:()
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:09:12 AM by Archer »

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
Re: Boo Boos and Mom's Saliva (minor wound module)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »
Good stuff scrubs, thanks and +1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:09:35 AM by Archer »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
I'm going to start printing these out.  You should do a book, with these thread titles as chapter titles.

walker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It is just my way of saying "thanks" to Jack and TSP for this great site.  There are so many good books on first-aid and remote medical care that I don't know if another one is "needed".  What I would consider though, if tempted, is to do an online version similar to the survival fiction novels some folks write (but as a guide, not a story).  If you think Jack and the Mods would be interested in such an idea, send me a PM. 

All I have done is taken the best of what I have learned and used, weighed it against evidence-based findings in the medical literature, and tried to deliver it in a humorous and enjoyable way.

Thanks again,

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:09:24 AM by Archer »

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
In that case, I would be interested to know if there are one or two books you would reccommend on the subject?

You can count my vote, for what it's worth, for an online guide if you are on the fence.

walker

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
In that case, I would be interested to know if there are one or two books you would reccommend on the subject?

You can count my vote, for what it's worth, for an online guide if you are on the fence.

As for a book, I posted the answer here:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1842.0

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I am still waiting for someone to tell me hydrogen peroxide and iodine is better for dirty wound treatment than good old fashion body temperature clean water! 
(I am trolling for trouble from Mom.  ;D)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:09:45 AM by Archer »

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »
Very nice, thanks again buddy!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
Mom or your Wife told you to.  (Observational Theory: Mama's boys and married men live longer for good reasons.)

LOL! Good one!!!! +1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:10:01 AM by Archer »

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
I am still waiting for someone to tell me hydrogen peroxide and iodine is better for dirty wound treatment than good old fashion body temperature clean water! 
(I am trolling for trouble from Mom.  ;D)

There is a reason that iodine, H2O2, Alcohol, Gasoline, etc... are better for cleaning wounds...
Pain is an excellent motivator.  All those little knife slices I got tooling about the woods didn't actually hurt too much, but the owie factor of the cleaning solution sure helpped make me a little more careful.

Thanks for the great posts!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:10:11 AM by Archer »

Goatdog62

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »
+1...Great post. Thanks!

walker

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
There is a reason that iodine, H2O2, Alcohol, Gasoline, etc... are better for cleaning wounds...
Pain is an excellent motivator.  All those little knife slices I got tooling about the woods didn't actually hurt too much, but the owie factor of the cleaning solution sure helpped make me a little more careful.

You are the just the kind of guy whom I would share with the proper technique for injecting tincture of benzoine into a blister!  You are either a fellow masochist, just another guy who learns best via cave man way (ouch, fire HOT!), or maybe both.   ;D 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:09:01 AM by Archer »

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:33:50 AM »
This is great, thank you.  I have printed it off and hope to do so with more of your "modules."

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »
This is great, thank you.  I have printed it off and hope to do so with more of your "modules."

See, scrubs?  I'm telling you.  Your modules are not the typical "survival" stuff.  :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:10:20 AM by Archer »