Author Topic: Good Survival Book for Bug Out Bag?  (Read 11997 times)

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
Good Survival Book for Bug Out Bag?
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
Hello, friends and Merry Christmas!

I'm diligently working on my BOB and need to throw a good Survival book in there.  I'm really a bit taken back with how much information I have to rely on the good ole "Innerweb" for.  My memory just isn't what it used to be and I won't be able to rely on the Internet (if it's even still there) when the SHTF and I'm humping across the countryside trying to get home!

Any recommendations?

Thanks and, again, Merry Christmas!

P.S. - I'm also asking about a good First Aid book in a separate thread.  I separated these requests in order to best capture this information for any future users looking for this same info!  Thanks!

Lucretius

Re: Good Survival Book for Bug Out Bag?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:10:51 AM »
The SAS Survival Guide comes as a field manual, that's ought to be perfect!

Haven't bought it yet myself, though... :-[

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
Another good one is "How To Survive Anywhere" by Christopher Nyerges.  Covers most anything you will run into and covers just about everyplace you may need to go through while bugging out.

Here it is on Amazon

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations!  Looks like the SAS Handbook is getting an update in a couple of months!  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0007274939

I think I might be able to wait until March 2009...

8)

Offline IRKCOD

• Prepper
  • Be Prepared
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »
Have you tried the Survival Manuals on Scrib. 
They are quite a few, including Army ones, downloadable in PDF format.

Main page:       Just input your search requirement
http://www.scribd.com

Some Survival Manuals
http://www.scribd.com/search?query=how+to+survive+anywhere&x=0&y=0

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
My favorite on staying alive is:

98.6 degrees, the Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive by Cody Lundin.  It is a straight forward, no nonsense approach to staying alive for at least 72 hours.  It isn't about living off the land, bushcraft, or mountain man skills, but being in the right frame of mind, with the right basic gear, to keep going.

SouthernLiving

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »
Might try making your own compilation of information relavant to your area and likely bug out situations.  Print with a laser printer on good quality paper complete with maps of your area, foraging notes for your area, utility right of way locations, emergency contacts....  You can buy book binding kits at Kinkos, Staples, ect and make a farily professional looking document that will stay together. 

One advantage to going this route is that you have to review the material as you are organizing the book.  The process will help you prioritize and familiarize yourself with the contents.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
+1's all around.  Especially for the Scribd info.  Very cool!

I'll take a peek at that book, spartan.  Thanks!

Yeah, I think I am going to have to break down and compile my own collection of stuff.  There's a LOT of BS in most everything I've seen so it might be prudent to just pick and choose what I need.

Great stuff.  Keep it coming if anyone has something to add!

8)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
My favorite on staying alive is:

98.6 degrees, the Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive by Cody Lundin.  It is a straight forward, no nonsense approach to staying alive for at least 72 hours.  It isn't about living off the land, bushcraft, or mountain man skills, but being in the right frame of mind, with the right basic gear, to keep going.

The sequel to 98.6 Degrees is When All Hell Breaks Loose.  Very good.  It covers basic survival for a few days or few weeks.  Here is more about it: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=ElyjhFmY7oMC&dq=when+all+hell+breaks+loose&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=U59gQDeSns&sig=gkdkzQ5M1in5gGrUa3LVHnh-tYU&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
For maps, look at Google earth to get the basics.  You can also order custom topographical maps as well through a number of services.  I see at least one vendor at any gun show I go to.

www.mytopo.com seems to be a popular choice and reasonable in price.

A lot of what you need is really determined by your situation and how concerned you are about a given situation actually occurring.  I see a lot of Bug Out Bags that are geared more towards an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) than just scooting out to a bug out location, or to get home from work or your normal travels.   I also would rather move fast and light with supplies that can easily be broken up/lost/destroyed than to spend $1000s of dollars on the right bag, an m4gery, tacti-cool clothing, kevlar vest, kevlar helmet, enough MREs for a month...  I want to be comfortable, ready to go, passing through the situation without drawing too much attention, and most of all confident in my abilities to do what I need to to get where I am going: home first and foremost as that IS my bug out location.  Barring that, we have a number of fall out/rendezvous points.  Those could be as simple as the neighbors across the street (the house burns down) or as far as North Carolina with some friends if this get real bad.

I can plan for a natural disaster like New Orleans/Louisiana post Katrina.  I cannot reasonably  build a society that can survive a total breakdown of civilization.  I leave that for the tin foil hat folks and address my more immediate concerns: vehicle breakdown, serious automotive accident/traffic conditions, HazMat spills, or severe weather.  Because of that my BOB is fairly small and is an EDC, though the personal documentation is extensive.

But, that is my take on it and why I suggest Cody Lundin and 98.6 degrees and not something like Bushcraft or the SAS Survival guide.  The former is about staying found and alive.  The latter are about going to ground for as long as you need be and making the best of it.

Your mileage and situation may vary.

Purifire

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »
I would highly recommend Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart. Originally published in 1906, it's filled with outdoor survival skills using 100 year old technology.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
this discussion under another topic may help.  perhaps they should be merged?  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1278.0

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )