Author Topic: Putting the MBA to work - Survival Style  (Read 1922 times)

John Q Public

Putting the MBA to work - Survival Style
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
There are a few tools that are typically used for strategic business planning that I feel may really be beneficial to those of us who are "preppers."  I figured that this would be a good place to share some of them with you and help put my master's degree to work.  ;D

SWOT Analysis

A SWOT analysis, and its sister the TOWS analysis, is one of the most basic tools that you can use to evaluate your strategic situation. SWOT is an acronym for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats.

Instead of typing a ridiculously long explanation, you can find a pretty good explanation of a SWOT at http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_05.htm. A TOWS explanation can be found at http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newSTR_89.htm

These tools are typically used in the business sense, but are VERY applicable to us in our endeavors. Just remember to use them to evaluate individual aspects of your preparations. For example, if you are trying to determine whether to BO or BI, use a SWOT to look at all of the factors in the decision. Ultimately, the idea is to remove the emotional aspect of the decision making process and get to the underlying reality.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Re: Putting the MBA to work - Survival Style
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »
+1.  I love this forum for just this reason!  Thanks for more tools in the toolbox! 

Berserker Prime

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Putting the MBA to work - Survival Style
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »
+1 Great post John Q! I will have to assimilate this kind of thinking into how I plan for things. I can see already how useful it is going to be.