Author Topic: Animal Trapping and Snaring  (Read 63555 times)

Offline Rustler3

• Prepper
Re: Animal Trapping and Snaring
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I would be very happy to find mine in a trap in the morning either.   Didn't have opossums in my area growing up.  I know they are a scavenger but anything that might draw them in a little better?

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:08:19 AM by bartsdad »

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »
PB and J, fruit cats dont eat fruit. or anything you have will work.

Offline brokensurvivor

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 12:44:21 AM »
Does anybody have a good set of preparation directions for very small game such as chipmunks, small birds, ground squirrel. The best would be from kill to plate but anything would help. Thanks

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »
Does anybody have a good set of preparation directions for very small game such as chipmunks, small birds, ground squirrel. The best would be from kill to plate but anything would help. Thanks

check the video on this thread, for the skinning and cleaning part at least.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24879.0

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
more pics of snares and traps
http://www.eseeknives.com/traps.htm

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
BTW, I just merged a lot of trapping related topics into this thread. So, you may want to start at the beginning of the thread to take advantage of all the knowledge.  ;)

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
Couple of points to add and a question or two.

I have been a Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed instructor here in Ohio for several years as well as having hunted and trapped for many years.

Some of the pointers:
  • To attract Possums to your yard? Just paint a double yellow line across your lawn.
    • A rat trap will generally kill a squirrel, especially if the trail/approach to the trap is a proper funnel. Be sure to drill a hole in the base of your traps and TIE THEM DOWN to a sturdy branch or log. Murphy visits traps too, and what can go wrong will eventually go wrong.
    • I generally use one size bigger wire for about half of the snares I put in my Bug Out Bag  than I normally would, just to keep from losing any chance at food in that situation. One size bigger may not be needed in really tight cover where a fox or coyote is less likely to go after the rabbits. anywhere that access for canines is present i use the slightly heavier wire.
    • A SURVIVAL SITUATION ONLY  preparation that i make is to make or buy a couple heavier wire snares that would normally be used for coyotes, but without deer stops added. (A deer stop is a ferrule crimped onto the snare wire about 6-9 inches from the loop/slider end of the snare. This is done so that if a deer inadvertantly trips a snare and gets it around its leg, it can get out.)

One question I have is, When making improvised snares, how do you make the snare loop, the one that cinches on the running loop wire. Is it a figure eight loop? a basic two half hitches type loop? I am used to using the washer type slider. I could make a bunch of rabbit weight snares and put them in the bag (and have) but I want to know how to improvise should i get caught without my bag.

Next question is, do you use or have you used #3 or #4 picture hanging wire? Have heard it works well (Canterbury recommends it in his vids), but have never tried it.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
This fall i made a right angle shelf that i tie down strapped to the side of my trees.
And put a 55 conibar set on nails ,and put a screw through it from the bottom to set a small
piece of corn on the cob on it. If that didn't do it i put sunflowers seeds under the trap.
400 tomato's disappeared out of my garden in 3 days. they wiped me out damn squirrels.
I averaged 3 a day , skinned and cleaned.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
Questions!

#1. Have you guys tested these out? Do you practice making them often even if you don't use them?

#2. What is your average catch rate? I had friends who ran fur traplines up north in the Yukon and upper BC and they ran 150 mile ones. They did not feed themselves from the trapline, but did feed beaver to the sleddogs at times when they caught them.

I also read that it takes 100 traps such as these to feed EACH person full time.

3. What tools do you carry with you in your BOB for making them?

Cedar

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
One pair of beaver slippers coming up!

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
I am working on getting into trapping. The problem I have right now is somewhere to clean the animals. We still live in an apartment in the city, so I would have to have a set up where I had everything bagged and ready for the freezer before I got back home. I have done the squirrel pole thing, and that was awesome. I had more than one squirrel per pole on more than one occasion. Dumb little guys ran right past their little hanging friends and right into the snares.

Not sure if you guys count this as trapping, but we are going to be running lines for catfish and turtle this year too. I got to watch a master turtle guy at work, and it was amazing.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
One question I have is, When making improvised snares, how do you make the snare loop, the one that cinches on the running loop wire. Is it a figure eight loop? a basic two half hitches type loop? I am used to using the washer type slider. I could make a bunch of rabbit weight snares and put them in the bag (and have) but I want to know how to improvise should i get caught without my bag.

Next question is, do you use or have you used #3 or #4 picture hanging wire? Have heard it works well (Canterbury recommends it in his vids), but have never tried it.

I have used picture wire and it worked well. Just make sure it is secured tightly to something. I don't do this all the time, but when I have I used them I did the two half hitch knot loop.

Questions!

#1. Have you guys tested these out? Do you practice making them often even if you don't use them?

#2. What is your average catch rate? I had friends who ran fur traplines up north in the Yukon and upper BC and they ran 150 mile ones. They did not feed themselves from the trapline, but did feed beaver to the sleddogs at times when they caught them.

I also read that it takes 100 traps such as these to feed EACH person full time.

3. What tools do you carry with you in your BOB for making them?

Cedar

1) As often as I can, but not often enough.  Most of my trapping experience comes from garden pests such as squirrels, rats, mice, chipmunks, rabbits and possums. You can practice one or two snares and have that down pat, but to master a figure 4 it will take a LOT of practice

2) I have never tried to feed myself just through trapping, but yes I'd imagine many would be needed.  The cool thing about traps though is they are "set and forget". So, you can set up 5 or 10 and let them do their thing while you are somewhere else picking berries, fishing or something like that. Make sure to set up near game trails or near their homes(but not right outside as they will be wary)

3) As far as tools, I carry a couple knives, a multi-tool with a wire-cutter on it, picture hanging wire, paracord as well as some rat traps. Specifically, I use the Victor Power Kill Rat Trap. It is sturdier than some of the cheap wooden ones, has a stronger spring than most, not likely to rust, sets very easily and also has a convenient cup that keeps the bait from falling out.

Also, while not in my BOB, I do sometimes use this Catch and Release Live Animal Trap. It can be tricky to set, but it has worked for me more than once. My favorite part about it is that it can be folded up pretty flat for easy storage. It also allows one to delay killing an animal for when you need it or to release it, which can be important if you trap the neighbor's cat, lol.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »
I have used picture wire and it worked well. Just make sure it is secured tightly to something. I don't do this all the time, but when I have I used them I did the two half hitch knot loop.

Brother Roswell...  How ya doing?  I used USAF "Safety wire" that they used on the planes for keeping the nuts and bolts from falling off back when I was at Tinker AFB, OK.  We had a base "FamCamp, complete with a small lake.  We had acres and acres of old wooden warehouses that basically were just a roof, a back wall and two ends and the grass grew very fast out tere.  1000's of rabbits and the base lake was plagued with Beavers.  Rabbits were no problem for the snare, but taking a beaver, a lot harder.  "Doubling" everything finally did the trick for the beavers, most of the time. 

Tim.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
I used USAF "Safety wire" that they used on the planes for keeping the nuts and bolts from falling off back when I was at Tinker AFB, OK. 

Has nothing to do with trapping, but after reading that I am curious how they used wire to keep the nuts and bolts from falling off?

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
I am working on getting into trapping. The problem I have right now is somewhere to clean the animals. We still live in an apartment in the city, so I would have to have a set up where I had everything bagged and ready for the freezer before I got back home.

Don't let that stop you! Just skin and quarter your catch in the field before heading home. Here's a video of how I quarter up beaver on the tailgate of my truck in the field. The video is shaky because I was wearing a camera on the brim of my cap to free up my hands. If you use the 'gutless' method of quartering up larger animals you can take the four leg quarters and the backstraps out fairly quickly.

http://youtu.be/AnMyvl3Ptwo

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2013, 12:08:58 AM »
Has nothing to do with trapping, but after reading that I am curious how they used wire to keep the nuts and bolts from falling off?

SteveandTracy, the military uses "safetywire" to hold any "critical" fastener i place to keep it from coming loose.  There's even a special tool for twisting the wire called "safetywire pliars", think lpowbuck visegrip pliars with a "yankee drill" spinner buit into it.  I know it might sound like I'm blowing smoke up your pipe, but I'm not.  The nuts and bolt heads have small hole drilled across one of the "edeges" and the dafetywire goes thru the hole, to the next, and the next, etc.  It can be a ver elaborate, labor intensive effort and the results can be both funtional as well as "artistic" as well.  It's been a while since I tried to post a picture here, so you're gonna have to look it up on your own.  Let me see if I can post a link...

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »

See if this helps...  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/imgytr/safetywire.shtml

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »
Brother Roswell...  How ya doing? 

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm doing good. Hope you are as well. i won't derail this thread further except to see we need to get M&G together some time soon.