Author Topic: CanSolidator and similar can storage methods needed  (Read 5026 times)

CVT

CanSolidator and similar can storage methods needed
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
So I am looking for a way to store cans in our current pantry. I found these: http://www.canningpantry.com/cansolidator.html. The problem for me is that our pantry as deep as a standard counter top to give you an idea (sorry, I am too lazy to measure up the depth) and I want maximize the area so I want a can "rotator" that is much much deeper than that.

Does anyone here have some links to other products that work similarly?

I know I can make my own and I will do so for the main storage area where I plan to make a big closet/shelving unit. However I am looking for something ready to go and fairly friendly to the eye (i.e. not something I put together).

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: CanSolidator and similar can storage methods needed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
That looks like a pretty good option.

Everything else is just going to be a variation on the same theme essentially. 

CVT

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
Oh these are a great solution but it too darn "shallow" so to speak. Our pantry is a good 24" deep so if I use these which are about 16" deep I lose 8" or usable space. Now take that across the entire shelf and we lose 8" x 25" of storage space. That is a lot of cans that I could store there.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »
What about using the extra space for water storage?

CVT

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »
I can store anything behind it but the idea is to have the pantry in the kitchen with only those items we use on a daily basis and still maximize the area and keep access to all items fairly easy.

Soooooo, back to my original question. I am looking a deeper can rotator type device. Who's got some leads?

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:24:27 PM »

I got these from www.organizeit-online.com a while back.  A little pricey if I remember, but well worth it.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »
OK....... I'll throw in what I have in file on the subject.

I go to this forum, and found this post by the guy ( Joe ) that runs the board.

http://www.vikingpreparedness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=563

Then, I have these on the subject.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2202439_rotating-food-storage-canned-goods.html

http://www.canracks.com/

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/fifo-storage-can-rack.do

Hope they help.  ;D

djturnz

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:26 AM »
http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/storage_shelves?gclid=CKrclrya2ZcCFQ4i3god4lDoDQ

The only problem I see with the Cannsolidator is it doesn;t look like it permits you to put new cans in the back a pull an old one from the front, so when you rotate, you'd have to empty it.

CVT

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »
Thanks for all the links!

I had seen the Vikingprep post and I think I saw a picture somewhere showing how this Joe attached a peg board to the front and then he had stuff hang from the pegs as well. The Canracks site I had seen as well. Both would be great solution for in the basement or out of sight locations. I would like to keep the contraption for the kitchen pantry "nice" to the eye so to speak.

The other links were new so my Google-fu isn't all that great!

From scanning the other links it seems that all can rotators are about 16" deep so I might very well be up the creek. Since I want these in a pantry wayyy up high (higher than 6.5 feet or so) it would be since not to have to get a chair out to pull supplies from behind the cans.

djturnz, the cannsolidator does allow you to put the cans in on the top "shelf" and then they roll back, drop down and then roll forward again.

I will dig around the web and the links you all provided a bit more and if I find some more data I will add it here.

Offline HYRYSC

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »
I have plenty of storage space so I have never tried this, but before I got my current house, I was in the process of trying to come up with something similar as you.  I was going to use a 3 inch piece of PVC pipe (2.75 would actually work better) and cut the front half off at the bottom allowing for a can to be extracted and doing the same at the top to allow a can to be added.  Never got around to using the design as I moved into much larger house that has oodles of storage, so it might need a bit of tweaking, but should allow a large degree of storage of cans with very little wasted space.  You can make it as tall or as short as you want.  The storage is vertical and not horizontal, so it might not work for you particular application.

my .02

Kara

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »
There's an ongoing discussion about this on another thread somewhere around here, but I can't find it again. My basement is unfinished, and one of the things I am going to do when I build by big pantry is to utilized the space between the studs. I have an 800sq ft house, so I need to squeeze every millimeter I can out of it for storage. I'll have to build the studs up a little to fit the can sizes, and then I will cover it with hard sheets of clear plastic so I can see the levels for each can. I'll just plop new cans in the top of the wall, and pull older stock out of the bottom, which is all the rotation it will need.

Good luck with your project!

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
I just 'zone' my items to use a walmart term.

When I come back from shopping with a big load, i just sort the cans - they usually get out of order anyhow. It doesn't take all that long. I have noticed that stuff I bought 6 months ago at one store has a later expirey date on it then stuff I just bought at a different store. Just doing a FIFO (first in, first out) setup won't take how long the cans have been sitting in warehouse and on the shelf.