Author Topic: Convertible pants  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Convertible pants
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
What is the consensus opinion about convertible pants for a BOB? Ayres recommended them in his new book, but I'd almost rather take my Firehose pants and a light pair of nylon shorts. Wouldn't nylon pants rip fairly easily on a thorn of fence?

He suggested ExOffico:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LF1XI8Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1IOD4TLQZB7HO&coliid=I6C7W81KUDB0S&psc=1

I like the price of the Columbia better:
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Silver-Ridge-Convertible-34x30/dp/B0058YVMS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is there a huge difference?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Convertible pants
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »
When I walk in the woods,I protect my legs and wear long pants...they convert from clean to soiled fast enough on their own.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
It's a good idea, but I'm with your thinking.  Pack good long pants and a light pair of shorts.

I do have a pair that I take camping.  I rarely use them unless I'm going out on a boat in early morning.  In that case I like to be able to be warm in the cold morning and remove them when it warms up.  It also allows me to put them back on for sun protection.  Legs live in one of the cargo pockets when unzipped.  The ones I have are a cotton blend, so definitely not the go to for a BOB

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »
I'm not entirely sure I need shorts, but they could be nice in certain situations. I'd rather have strong pants to start with the option of taking them or not. The guy is a former Green Beret and knows more than I ever will, so I wanted to ask. I'm not sure how I feel about nylon in general because I've ripped nylon shorts.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:46:56 PM »
Could anyone suggest a pair of light synthetic pants that are pretty durable? I've decided to skip the convertible pants, but still need something.  If I'm able to put a layer under them even better.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 12:27:25 AM »
My go to outdoor pants are all synthetics from railriders.com. Check out their X-treme Adventure, VersaTac, and Bushwacker Weather pants. They're not cheap, but they take years of abuse. My original pair is 15 years old and still going strong, with only a few small holes on the bottom of the cuffs.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:28:26 AM »
     What's all this about "convertible pants"? Roseanne Roseannedanna would never ride in a convertible without pants on. Besides the embarrassment if she were pulled over for a traffic stop, there are Roseannadanna parts that the world does not need to see to see. Not to mention sunburn on places where the sun should never shine. Oh, you meant long pants that convert to shorts? Never mind.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:32:27 AM »
My pants convert to rags,and it does not take a lot of time for the conversion to be complete. :)

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:07 AM »
There are some nylon canvas pants that would never rip.  Probably too tough, break a leg before they ripped if you got them caught on something.

I don't like convertible pants.  The zipper is a good place to chafe, they break, and just aren't that useful in real life imo. You usually have to take your boots off to get the legs off, and then where do you put them?

I do like vented pants.  They have vertical zips with mesh behind them.  Make it as breezy as you want, still have dirt, thorn, and sun protection, and don't have to use all your pocket space for the legs. And can use the cargo pockets for cargo instead of the pant legs.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
Ayres recommended them in his book, but they obviously aren't great, so I have no interest in them now. Like a lot of things they sounded great until you learned more about them.

I just want some light pants to throw into some of my kits to give me a change of clothes that are lighter than the Fire Hose pants I currently have in my bags. Just to give me another option.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
I think it all depends on your climate.

Last year I traveled down through the Yucatan with nothing but a small back pack (Maxpedition-Falcon II). It was hot, really hot. In addition to my 2 pairs of quick-dry zippered cargo shorts, I also brought one pair of long pants to wear while in town. They have a much more modest culture, and only tourist prance around in shorts.

Both shorts and pants served me well, and I would recommend them. I specifically got shorts with a zippered pocket, so I could dive underwater without losing my keys or wallet. For a wallet, I used a small dry box. Also both Shorts and pants also have belt loops. The pants even have a hidden zippered pocket.

I think it is much more important to have quick dry clothing, so you can do laundry in a hotel sink, if necessary.

However, this is not the setup I would use if I was in the snow. It all depends on the climate.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:39:35 PM by Black November »

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
I very rarely wear shorts. Guess I can be without them and still enjoy my apocallypse :D
Also, I wouldn't want to wear any artificial materials on me while being outdoors for a while, as that means being around fire now and then. I had burning nylon dripping on my hand once and it was well enough for me.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »
I'll throw a pair of nylon shorts in my bag. I'm mainly looking for lightweight long pants.