Author Topic: Do you carry? WHAT do you carry?  (Read 25235 times)

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
Do you carry? WHAT do you carry?
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »
Just getting some insight here.  I know everybody is different, but I'm interested in hearing the ladies' view on this.

Do you carry a handgun?  If you do, WHAT do you carry?  What helped you choose your weapon?

I'm getting my CHL this next month, and am strongly considering a Springfield XD, but the only handguns I have handled have been Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, my hubby's Glock .40 cal, and his Rueger 22...

PS - I'll be RENTING a Springfield in the next week or so, FYI.

Offline CBP

• Survivor
Re: Do you carry? WHAT do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
I conceal carry a Bersa 380.   I don't carry a purse, so this one seemed to fit the bill for me in a holster clipped to the waistband of my jeans -- doesn't bang me in the ribs like my full frame guns do.  It was also priced right for the money I had at the time. 
Jack had a question on the podcast regarding a carry gun for a wife, as her Bersa was jamming.   Mine never has jammed, ever.  And I might be mistaken on what I heard, but I thought Jack said he owned a couple of them.  (#442)  Eventually, I'd like a few more rounds in a carry gun. . . . maybe a Taurus 24/7. 

The XD is a nice weapon, a friend of mine just got one.   I looked into them too -- not to carry -- but just to have!

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
I'm glad you opened this thread, i was just wondering the same thing!

I got my CCW about a month ago. I'm originally from France, so this is all really new to me. I've been shooting and practicing for a year and a half, so i'm still learning and trying out different things.

I have been carrying a Kel Tec P11 (9mm), in a CCW purse. It's a good defense gun although it is quite hard to tame (at least at first for me, im a tiny frame and weigh 110pounds) . It doesn't really have any safety besides  a 9pound trigger, it's loud and kicks quite a bit. I am getting more and more comfortable with it, but i' definitely trying out other things. I've recently tried the .38 Ruger LCR Revolver. Quite enjoyed it, light weight, easier to shoot, smaller and def easier to conceal. I like 9mm Glocks too, although they're pretty big. So maybe a baby Glock?

Do you ladies prefer to carry in a purse or in a holster on you?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
I carry a .38 Ruger revolver. I just prefer revolvers. If I'm taking a purse I carry it in that, otherwise it's in a holster.

Offline LandShark

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »
My 4'11" 115 lbs wife loves her Ruger LCP and carrys it in a Desantis Superfly in the cellphone pocket of her purse (that never leaves her arm). She likes it because she can walk with her hand on it and know one really notices.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
If the pistol isn't ON you, you don't have true control over it.
Purse or bag carry is not a great idea for a number of reasons.

There are SO many good options out there for small, reliable, reasonably powerful guns out there, that there is no reason NOT to have the pistol ON you.

I'd look at the Kahr PM9. Very carriable/concealable, yet ergonomic, simple, reliable and reasonably powerful.

I'm not a big fan of .380, until I had a Ruger LCP in my last 2 day gunfighting class. The gun is so slim! yet reliable and accurate.

The Springfield XD is a good gun, but it is chunky/clunky and not easy to conceal for the average woman.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
Feel free to keep posting on this one folks...I'm really enjoying the responses.

I am, most definitely, the definition of the "average woman".  5'4", 150# (give or take).

DH's Glock, while I am a reasonably good aim with it, is NOT my first choice.  He says it is a "full frame", so it's rather large.  My arm got pretty tired going through just 4 clips of ammo.  Also, there would be no GOOD way I could conceal carry it, unless I tucked it at my back somehow.  I'm limber enough to get at it, but it would be - interesting.

Specifically ladies, if you are "average" AND have small hands, I am particularly interested.  I have long fingers, but small palms, and am finding I have the weakest hands on the planet (which I have begun working on).

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
I'm 5'3" and weigh just a bit less than you and I have no strength in my hands due to arthritis and carpal tunnel. I can use the baby glock easily and my revolver.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
I am planning on getting my Medium Fry into one of these very soon... after convincing her to start carrying the LCR.
review of a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster for Ruger LCR

Zen is right, i feel the same away about off body carry. But lets face it, most women carry a purse, thats why it makes sense for them to carry that way. But I feel if thats your only way to carry, you should practice drawing out of the bag as much as possible. Do it at home with snap caps or other safety training ammo.

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
If the pistol isn't ON you, you don't have true control over it.
Purse or bag carry is not a great idea for a number of reasons.

That's exactly what's always worried me -- getting distracted in the grocery store, etc.  or having to operate "one-handed" while I'm carrying around a purse (there seriously isn't enough room in them to hold all the spackling anyway :).  I'm 5-6/150 and have no problem handling a large frame, bigger bore gun --- but putting them in a holster on my side is another story.  If all else fails, I opt for a fanny pack worn just slightly forward of my left side.   I think conifidence in your ability to shoot the gun you choose well is most important of all.

Offline jpommer

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Safety-On Firearms Training
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
I have opinions, if invited to the ladies' treehouse.  :)

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
Come right in. ;D

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure the "No Boyz allowed" sign blew away a long time ago.  :D

Offline jpommer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Thanks! ;D   As shown by the young lady in the video above, it's easier than you think to have it on your body and well hidden. A good holster is a must. Which gun is important for how well you can use it, but for concealment it's all about the holster or whatever system you choose.

I'm not a fan of purse holsters for one reason. Purse snatchers. A thug runs past you at top speed and grabs your bag, breaks the shoulder strap and just keeps going. Now he has your wallet, your ID with your home address on it, the keys to your house... oh yeah, and a loaded gun. Might as well have a written invitation in there too. Of course that's just one possibility that is as remote as any other, but you can't say it won't ever happen.

And you don't have to wear a thick belt and pants all the time either. There are other options like the belly-band or SmartCarry that will work under a skirt or shorts. And they work very well.

Smartcarry Holster (For Women)

Think about how you normally dress, and how much of your wardrobe you are willing to compromise on. Select your carry method accordingly. But above all, carry! All the time! Some folks don't, just occasionally. It makes me wonder how they know that they might need a gun that day. If I'm expecting trouble, I'm just gonna stay home that day.

Now all that said, I'm a man. I'm shaped differently, my clothes are different, and despite my inflated self-opinion I don't have the opposite sex checking me out every time I leave the house. I don't have the same challenges that you do. So, take what I say and allow me to refer you to:

http://corneredcat.com

That gal really knows her stuff.

Offline jpommer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »
Oh, one last thing. The Bersa .380 is an excellent gun for the price. I have one that has been very reliable. There are smaller .380's that are harder to control and more prone to jamming (hearsay, don't own one), but are easier to conceal. I'd look at the five shot .38 revolvers too, like the gal in the first video up there.

But allow yourself to choose for yourself, based on what feels most natural in your hand... the one that you can shoot well.

Offline the-gman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Ex Air Commando 1st Special Operations Wing
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I carry in TN. I have two modes Winter and Summer. Winter a Bersa 9mm. Summer a Kel-tec P3AT or Bersa Thunder .380. I chose these after many hours at the range renting indivdual guns. I like the way they shoot and the cost.
The GMAN

For those that will fight for it....Freedom...has a flavor the protected shall never know". - L/Cpl Edwin L. Craft, B Co. 3rd AT's, Khe Sahn Combat Base, February 1968(Viet Nam)

Offline Mako

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »
I have the Ruger LCP and highly recommend it.  It easily slides into any pocket and is so light you can all but forget it's there.  I have put 1,000 rounds through mine already, and only had problems with Herter's steel case and some hollow-points loading.  I'm going to carefully sand the barrel feed ramp and I think this should take care of it.

Some of the loads are comparable to 9mm rounds, especially the 95 gr. PDX1 JHP (jacketed hollow point) bonded. I haven't had a single problem with the 95 gr. Fiocchi ammo, which encompassed a majority of the 1,000 rounds I've put through it (great training round.  Often $17 for 50 rounds)

She is a little spicy, but I like a girl with a touch of attitude.  It's mostly in your posture/structure and you get used to it, no problem.  The handle is too short for the pinky to fit around it, but a simple clip mod gives a place for the pinky to rest against, curled in (it usually sells with at least one of these).

There is no safety on the gun, but it has a long trigger pull.  Maybe 7 lbs. This loosens up and smooths out after a while, and you get used to it too (my finger did hurt a little after the first 150 rounds).  This makes it safe to carry "hot" however, and I find that the overall simplicity, efficiency and reliability of the firearm, coupled with a good self defense load makes for an ideal concealed carry.  And as Zen said, it's the firearm you have on you, and I have no problem carrying this running, biking, shopping, whatever.  I'd definitely recommend it to my girlfriend (if I had one.........).

Seen it in black, metal/silver, and pink.  HTH!

http://ruger.com/products/lcp/features.html

Mako
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:46:07 AM by Mako »

Offline LupaWolf

• Fledgling Prepper
    • TwoWolvesOutdoor
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
I too have arthritis and extensive nerve damage from carpel tunnel... i carry a revolver.  I cannot always work the slide on the glock.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
I too have arthritis and extensive nerve damage from carpel tunnel... i carry a revolver.  I cannot always work the slide on the glock.

How do you handle the long heavy trigger pull? Do you cock the hammer? or are you able to deal with the DA trigger?

If you carry a round in the chamber, you don't have to worry about racking the slide :)

Offline LupaWolf

• Fledgling Prepper
    • TwoWolvesOutdoor
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
I have a couple different techniques for cocking the hammer during dexterity failure, and I find the DA on the Cobra to be quite smooth.  The recoil is also specific and does not cause pain after 3 shots like many hand guns do.

the glock would still need to be loaded... by me... i am not always able to pull it off, so it is not a reliable option for me.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »
That's why the baby glock is mostly for target practice when my hands are behaving and my always carry is a revolver. I feel better with something I can always handle, no matter how bad the hands are acting up.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
It's hell to get old,huh? Would have taken better care of my hands if I'd known how bad I want a Glock 9mm. Have a sweet little S&W 38 special I carry, just depend on the 5 shot and a speedloader. Need to get some more.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
OK...so I rented the Springfield XD 9mm and shot 100 rounds on Monday.  I was really surprised that I was a better shot right off the bat with my DH's Glock.  I got the hang of it before I was out of rounds, but I don't know if I like it or not.  Arm/shoulder got really tired fast with the DH's Glock, but I was ok at the end of the session with the Springfield.

We also saw a REALLY PRETTY Kahr 9mm while we were there.

Ladies, here's another set of questions...Did you buy and get used to your gun?  Did you try several THEN buy?

Guys, feel free to chime in too.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
I grew up with guns and was shooting at targets before I was out of grade school and my first husband was a gun collector so I have to say I used several and then bought.

Monkeyboyf- yes it is heck to get old and realize you shouldn't have been so hard on your body when you were younger. My hands are especially annoying though.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »
I just had to chime in that you ladies rock!  It seems like all the other ladies I know (except 1) are into shoes, clothes, hair and nails.  Not that there is anything really wrong with that stuff but I "get" guns better.  You gals are awesome - thanks Ann for starting the thread.  I carry a S&W .38 revolver that I love.  And I too have severe arthritis and can't pull a slide to save my butt but am proficient with my little revolver and a speed strip. Thanks ladies for the smiles.  Blessings TBM

endurance

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 08:46:34 AM »
I have both the Kahr PM9 and the Springfield XD and there's no question that if I could only own one handgun, it would be the Kahr because it's just so small, light, and easy to carry anywhere.  It's remarkably accurate for the barrel length, but it does have a fair kick to it because of the weight.  Also, the magazines don't hold their bullets if you just have them loose in a pocket (but are just fine in the gun or in a magazine carrier.  I've just never had a magazine drop half it's capacity into my pocket on a 20 minute walk like the Kahr magazines do).

In a perfect world, I'd say get both.  You're not going to get proficient on a Kahr because you can't shoot 50-100 rounds at a time through it without your hands feeling very tired.  I generally go to the range once or twice a month, shoot 100-150 rounds through my XD, then finish off with 2-3 magazines through the Kahr.  I want to remain familiar with it, but the trigger squeeze and sight picture (I have Trijicon sights on both) are very similar to the XD, so I'm maintaining my skills without beating myself up or wearing out a gun that probably only has a 5000 round lifespan (a Kahr might last 5% as long as an XD, but from my experience, both are just as reliable).  There are also times when you might want more capacity and a better handling weapon and the XD has great manners.  The Kahr is a bit more abrupt, some might even say rude. ;)

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
I just had to chime in that you ladies rock!  It seems like all the other ladies I know (except 1) are into shoes, clothes, hair and nails.  Not that there is anything really wrong with that stuff but I "get" guns better.  You gals are awesome -

Right back at  you TBM, i feel the same way  ;D

My husband bought our first 9mm and i learned to adapt to it. I had no other choice but to adapt and try it out since i had never been around guns up until that day.
Now that i've shot and tried different guns though, i know what I like and what to look for, accordingly to my body type, hand size and shooting comfort...etc. I'm seriously leaning toward the .38 Ruger as my next gun and want to start carrying on me. Kinda want to pick the gun instead of letting it pick me loool  ::)

Offline betywilson

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
I have 2 carry modes too.  Winter and Summer.  I carry either a Glock 27 in a Don Hume inside the pants (shorts) leather holster or a Springfield XD Subcompact 40 in a Don Hume leather holster for my summer attire.  During winter, I use the Blackhawk holsters.  I love the Blackhawk holsters. 
What's a purse???

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Hmmm...much to consider.  I had NO IDEA about the Kahr having issues with losing ammo out of the magazine.  That is unfortunate.  It could also be a serious disadvantage if I were to feel it necessary to count on those bullets.

I think I could easily get used to the Springfield XD, although I found myself getting tired from gripping the back.  I probaby don't have to grip it THAT hard to engage the safety mechanism.  I was thinking the Kahr would be for concealed carry, because the Springfield seemed a little large.  Granted, not like the hubby's Glock 40 cal (no, don't ask me model, not that smart yet).

Sigh...I like the Springfield, but that Kahr was AWEFULLY pretty.

Purses - something to throw at a thug while you're pulling your gun?  I use my lunchbox to carry my lipstick.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
I just had to chime in that you ladies rock!  It seems like all the other ladies I know (except 1) are into shoes, clothes, hair and nails.  Not that there is anything really wrong with that stuff but I "get" guns better.  You gals are awesome - thanks Ann for starting the thread.  I carry a S&W .38 revolver that I love.  And I too have severe arthritis and can't pull a slide to save my butt but am proficient with my little revolver and a speed strip. Thanks ladies for the smiles.  Blessings TBM

Thank you TBM!  I had a feeling that if I wanted women's advice on this, there would be no better place to ask!