Author Topic: Do you carry? WHAT do you carry?  (Read 25337 times)

Offline LadyRebekah67

• Prepper
  • If it harms none, do as you will.
    • http://ladyrebekah67.wordpress.com
Re: Do you carry? WHAT do you carry?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
I prefer revolvers, (.38) but currently carry a small 380 in a little clippy holster in my bra, above left one, almost under arm.  Since I'm a cabbie, I have certain close quarter issues and it's more reachable there with seat belts, clothing and seated position issues.  In summer, with less clothing requirements, I opt for a small ankle holster on inside of left leg.  Easily reached with either hand, even while still seated, buckled and rolling.  Also within just my own reach are a foldy Ka-bar, locked open, and a tazer.  The tazer is always plan #1.  But in the end, it's easier to convince 12 people that I made the right choice, if I'm currently BREATHING.

And no, before anyone suggests that I get a bulletproof cab, I really don't like the cop partitions.  I'd rather just avoid potential issues with door locks.  If it walks like a banger, talks like a banger, dresses like a banger, and is located near other bangers, it doesn't get in in the first place.  So far, 9 years with no major issues.  Guess that female intuition really does work.  ;)

Offline Periwinkle

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
I can't carry a purse due to a pinched nerve in my neck.  So I carry a fanny pack with a Bersa 380.  If I'm wearing jeans though, I might carry my Keltec 32 instead.  I'd love to try one of those smart carry bands sometime and see how they feel.  My hubby uses that from time to time and he is fine with it.  I also carry a knife in my pocket and on occasion I have pepper spray with me.  My hubby likes me to carry some of everything, but if I carried everything he wanted me to, I'd no longer look like a girl and I'd be weighted down a bit.  *G*

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
I'm looking at this shoulder holster (recommended by Goatdog):

The Jackass is the original model (but isn't available for my handgun model), but the Miami classic is pretty close to it. This one also comes recommended by Sister Wolf.
It is made by Galco, but you can find it on ebay for about $30 less than direct from the manufacturer (go figure).

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Sigh - going to have to wait on the carry rig until I actually have the weapon.  One step at a time.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
  My hubby likes me to carry some of everything, but if I carried everything he wanted me to, I'd no longer look like a girl and I'd be weighted down a bit.  *G*

LMAO - Peri I CAN so relate.  As I am leaving the house the conversation goes like this:   Husband: Do you have your gun? Me: Yes dear. Husband: Do you have enough ammo? Me: Yes dear.  Husband: How much.  Me: Enough that I'm lopsided. Husband: Do you have your pepper spray? Me: Yes Dear. Husband:  Do you have the knife I gave you?  Me: Yes dear.  Husband:  Okay be safe.  Me: Yes dear. 

If he could I'd have a couple of bazookas, grenade launcher and a least 3 neck knives while wearing bullet proof clothing as I leave.  Ah it's so nice to be loved.  Our sweet survivalist men are too cute.

Offline Dylboz

• BANNED
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
I was looking for a .38 snubby, but then I read this:

Why Not Carry the Big Gun?

It changed my POV. Mind you, I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs (down from 220, thank you Primal Blueprint!), so it isn't as big an issue as it would be if I were a petite woman, but still. I'm going to try and find the best rig for my full size semi-auto, and see how that goes before investing in a new smaller pistol or revolver (I really like revolvers, though). It's off the gun show next week to see what I can find! I'll let you guys know if I get something good.

BTW - LvsChant, I have a nylon shoulder rig that is very similar to those leather ones you've got pictured (certainly not as nice, but the layout's roughly the same). I got it at the Army surplus store, and I wear it when I'm out camping and hunting so as not to interfere with all the stuff I carry in my lumbar pack, and I like it very much, especially since it doesn't pull my pants down like a holster and 3 magazine pouches does. But when I tried out concealment with it, the results were really unsatisfactory. I live in a hot place, so no one wears big jackets (or jackets at all, really) and a regular long sleeve shirt over top of it just didn't look right.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
I was looking for a .38 snubby, but then I read this:

Why Not Carry the Big Gun?

It changed my POV. Mind you, I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs (down from 220, thank you Primal Blueprint!), so it isn't as big an issue as it would be if I were a petite woman, but still. I'm going to try and find the best rig for my full size semi-auto, and see how that goes before investing in a new smaller pistol or revolver (I really like revolvers, though). It's off the gun show next week to see what I can find! I'll let you guys know if I get something good.

BTW - LvsChant, I have a nylon shoulder rig that is very similar to those leather ones you've got pictured (certainly not as nice, but the layout's roughly the same). I got it at the Army surplus store, and I wear it when I'm out camping and hunting so as not to interfere with all the stuff I carry in my lumbar pack, and I like it very much, especially since it doesn't pull my pants down like a holster and 3 magazine pouches does. But when I tried out concealment with it, the results were really unsatisfactory. I live in a hot place, so no one wears big jackets (or jackets at all, really) and a regular long sleeve shirt over top of it just didn't look right.

Thanks for the input, Dylboz. I think it is really hard to decide... I'll have to try out several different things, I'm thinking, before I find the perfect fit. You're in AZ, iirc? You're right... it's very hot out there.

Offline Periwinkle

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
LMAO - Peri I CAN so relate.  As I am leaving the house the conversation goes like this:   Husband: Do you have your gun? Me: Yes dear. Husband: Do you have enough ammo? Me: Yes dear.  Husband: How much.  Me: Enough that I'm lopsided. Husband: Do you have your pepper spray? Me: Yes Dear. Husband:  Do you have the knife I gave you?  Me: Yes dear.  Husband:  Okay be safe.  Me: Yes dear. 

If he could I'd have a couple of bazookas, grenade launcher and a least 3 neck knives while wearing bullet proof clothing as I leave.  Ah it's so nice to be loved.  Our sweet survivalist men are too cute.
*LOL*  Yep, I know what you mean.  My problem is that I have a pinched nerve in my neck, so I can't carry a purse ~ I have to use a fanny pack.  So......I got my gun and ammo in the pack, then a knife in my right pocket and a knife on my left hip; my pepper spray on my key ring that hangs off the right side of my fanny pack, AND he wants me to carry a small flashlight holstered on my belt.  Okay at this point, i have no real hips or shape ~ instead I have these assorted bulges here and there.  I am no longer looking female at this point.........instead I'm looking like a soldier of sorts.  But hey, maybe that alone will protect me.  *G*

However, I've told my hubby that with all this stuff on me, if something happens and I need to react, I'll probably be confused and grab the wrong thing first.  So when the police come and draw a chalk outline around me, they'll all stand around looking down over me and one officer will say "wow, she had all those weapons and gear on her, but she's dead anyway".   :o

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I carry a revolver - S&W Airweight .38spl.  I love the gun.  It is in a nice leather holster on my waist all day, everyday.  I compete nearly weekly in different action pistol competitions.  The holster is as important as the gun.  Don't skimp!  You will not wear it all day if it's not comfortable.  You'll skip a day because you're cranky and comfort seems like a better alternative than carrying the gun in the uncomfortable holster.  Then the next weeks that happens two days and so on.  Before long, you're not carrying it. 

My advice is find the gun You are comfortable shooting (preferably something above a .32 but anything that works for you is better than nothing).  Then find a holster than you like A Lot.  This may be difficult and you may be tossing a $100 holster in a drawer cause it didn't work.  Remember, you can sell it.  Just becaues it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.  Then, after you've got the gun and the holster, find the clothes to cover it.   This can be the most challenging part believe it or not.  And, if you're like me, the most painful part.  I'll spend $500 on a gun, $100 on a holster and cry at spending $40 on a nice jacket or top to cover the gun.  However, after years of doing this, I'm finally realizing that the more I enjoy the clothes I wear over my gun, the less concious I am it's there which means it's more comfortable and less likely to be left home.  Wear your gun when trying on clothes.  I can't tell you how many times I left my gun lying on the dressing room stool as I changed in and out of outfits only to get home and discover that shirt or jacket was too short to cover the end of the gun. 

endurance

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Wear your gun when trying on clothes.  I can't tell you how many times I left my gun lying on the dressing room stool as I changed in and out of outfits only to get home and discover that shirt or jacket was too short to cover the end of the gun. 
That's great advice!

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
Sigh - I risk losing my job if I carry at work.  I will only be able to carry on personal time.  I work for a city government, and the handbook states plainly that weapons are not allowed in the work place.

Many of the clothes that I currently own won't conceal anything.  I don't wear things skin tight, but I like them to fit.  I guess I'll have to go shopping for clothes when I start carrying...dangit.

I have a laundry list of stuff I want...like a solar oven, a grain mill, a water pump, more food grade barrels for water, solar panels for the house, a new mattress.  I don't want to have to buy new and different clothes...(whine) - ok, I'm done now.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
I feel your pain, Ann :) I tried my pistol with my new holster and it was very obvious with most of my clothes. That being said, I am still very happy with the holster and will just have to figure out some creative ideas (maybe vests, bulkier jackets for winter, etc.) I'm also thinking an ankle holster wouldn't be a bad thing since many of my pants have pretty loose legs at the bottom.

endurance

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
Winter is definitely easier than summer.  Even a light wind jacket does a more than adequate job of concealing, then there's the comfortable sweaters that would hide a bazooka.  Summer has none of those options.  You really need to base what you wear around your gun.  It is a bummer. 

I did recently find a pair of shorts with a zippered pocket on the thigh that holds my PM9 like it was made for it.  Need to pick up a few more pair; they make up a disproportionate part of my wardrobe now.

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 07:09:14 AM »
Hi Ann,

I live in So.PRK so getting a CCW is difficult and at the whim of the county sherrif, but I do carry open when I'm at my ranch. We have Mountain Lions there and I've seen packs of both 4 legged and 2 legged coyotes in my creek bed, so I always have my sidearm with me. I carry a Baby Desert Eagle (hence my tag) 9mm.  When my kids go with me, girl 19 and boy 15, they carry as well. She carries a .22 revolver (working on getting her a 9mm CZ 75 with a .22 conversion kit) and my son carries a Browning High Power 9mm. 

If any one out there lives in the IE and has their CCW. Can you tell me how difficult it was to get. I've taken the CCW class and they made it sound very difficult to justify "need" in this county. I'm currently working on getting my NRA instructors certification with might be of help since I will then be transporting firearms for our firearms school.

It's really great to be able to connect with so many like minded people instead of the ones who think I'm nuts. ;D

Candy

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
Candy...we're all nuts here too, but we're the GOOD nuts.  And we'll be the ones to survive if things go to hell in a handbasket.

Don't worry about talking or asking ANYTHING in this group.  Opinions may differ, but everybody is respectful of everybody else's opinion.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
I've been working with my shoulder holster... it is getting more and more broken in to the shape of the pistol... happy days!

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
It seems to me like it takes time for any holster to fit you and the gun, even ones that were comfortable at first get better when everything is broken in.

Offline jpommer

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Safety-On Firearms Training
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
I've been working with my shoulder holster... it is getting more and more broken in to the shape of the pistol... happy days!

Would you mind posting a picture of it on? I've been curious about how well it works for you.

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Candy...we're all nuts here too, but we're the GOOD nuts.  And we'll be the ones to survive if things go to hell in a handbasket.

Don't worry about talking or asking ANYTHING in this group.  Opinions may differ, but everybody is respectful of everybody else's opinion.

Thanks, Ann for the words of encouragement.  So glad I decided to give the forums a go. You all are terriffic.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
I just got a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, and I like it.  I have a simple holster velcroed in the pocket to hold my weapon in the correct orientation for me.  I'm a leftie, so that was a big deciding factor for me in choosing this bag.  The "S" version of these bags are made for lefties.  The Maxpedition bags aren't lady-like, but they're very practical for me unless I'm going out for something fancy.  Right now, I carry the S&W 9mm, but I'm going to be getting a Glock 19 soon because it fits my hand better, and I'm more accurate with it.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2010, 12:18:53 PM »
I have the Maxpedition Fatboy Versipak and I love it - it's what I carry for a purse.  When I'm out of my home I wear it across my body and it is so easy to get to my gun. I know I'll hear from 20 people saying I must wear it in a holster on my body but for me this is better and I will do it.  There are times when I do wear a holster but with my messed up shoulder I don't draw as fast as I used to and can manage this better because of the position of the "purse" and inside holster.

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories - I think every woman should have her CCW permit and conceal carry. You guys rock! 

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
TwoBluesMama, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only gal who likes the Maxpedition gear.  I finally decided to buy it because I've had the CCW permit for years, but never really carried concealed until I got the bag.  I know there are lots of other options to carry on your body, and they may be "better," but in the end, the "best" option is the one that you are comfortable with, and that you will use regularly.  I also have had plenty of shoulder problems, and for years, I didn't have the shoulder stability or internal rotation needed to carry in a lot of the usual places.  The position of the bag on my hip makes it very shoulder-friendly to use.  I forgot in the earlier post to give ample credit to Sis for letting me try her Glock 19.  Thanks! ;)

I just have to share...I had an amusing conversation this morning with an acquaintance at brunch.  My Maxpedition bag with my 9mm in it was sitting near my feet as we ate, mind you.  She said that she knew a few people who carried concealed, and she wasn't sure they were safe/sane people.  I said, well, you probably know a lot more people who carry concealed, but they just don't mention it or talk about it, so you don't know they carry.  I got a little amusement out of knowing that she had no idea I was carrying at the time...  :P

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
Since those of the male persuasion are chiming in...

I normally carry a Glock 23 (mid-sized .40 S&W).  However of late I have been flirting with the 9mm Glock 19 (also mid-sized).  It is fantastic. The shootability of large guns while being diminutive enough to conceal.  There are a lot of great options out there.  I have carried everything from a Kel-Tec .380 to a full size Glock 10mm and there is no one right answer.  Find what you like and meets your needs.

For carry methods I cannot claim to know much about the female carry issues.  My wife uses a concealed carry friendly fanny pack. If you are going to use off the body carry I really suggest something of that type.

I highly encourage shooters of all persuasions to search through carry methods till you find something that allows you to carry a gun that is tolerable to shoot in practice.  I know a lot of micro-.380 carriers that hate shooting those little knuckle barkers.  Same with the ultra-lightweight J-Frame revolvers.  If you can stand the weight (and it isnt much) try an all steel J-Frame rather than the super airweight.  Your hand will thank you at the range.

My $.02

-Chem

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »
I have the Maxpedition Fatboy Versipak and I love it - it's what I carry for a purse.  When I'm out of my home I wear it across my body and it is so easy to get to my gun. I know I'll hear from 20 people saying I must wear it in a holster on my body but for me this is better and I will do it.  There are times when I do wear a holster but with my messed up shoulder I don't draw as fast as I used to and can manage this better because of the position of the "purse" and inside holster.

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories - I think every woman should have her CCW permit and conceal carry. You guys rock! 

I've never looked at those bags before -- very cool!  I'm digging in the cookie jar to see if I have enough money!  A bag worn across your body is relatively secure, you can still work hands free and you don't have to put in a cart etc. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned.  Some of you ladies commented on your hands being sensitive while shooting.  My Bersa has a bit of bite to it when I practice.  I have a thin shooting glove I usually use when shotgunning and it seems to help with the handgun.  However, I've seen "exercise gloves" in the stores.  They are "leather" looking, maybe a bit padded and fingerless.  I plan on buying a set for my range bag.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
I've never looked at those bags before -- very cool!  I'm digging in the cookie jar to see if I have enough money!  A bag worn across your body is relatively secure, you can still work hands free and you don't have to put in a cart etc. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned.  Some of you ladies commented on your hands being sensitive while shooting.  My Bersa has a bit of bite to it when I practice.  I have a thin shooting glove I usually use when shotgunning and it seems to help with the handgun.  However, I've seen "exercise gloves" in the stores.  They are "leather" looking, maybe a bit padded and fingerless.  I plan on buying a set for my range bag.

CBP They are kinda spendy but well worth the cost.  I've had mine about 1-1/2 years and use it everyday and it still looks new.  They wear like iron.  Not too "pretty" but I'm more concerned with practical at this point. I love all the pockets and have them loaded with all kinds of survival stuff and my sunglasses, cell phone and of course my lipstick (  ;))  I've only had one incident were a store clerk (in a trendy ladies store) wanted to put my bag (it looks so big and heavy dear - what?) behind the counter for me.  She'd have probably fainted if she knew what was in there. I politely told her no thanks and she followed me around the rest of the time.  I used to get comments from ladies at church about my bag (not really snide but more like why are you carrying that) but a few close friends know what's in it and now no one notices.  It is a great solution for me.

I thought your suggestion of a glove was a good idea.  Last time we were at the range my gun bit the skin between my thumb and forefinger  - I'm sure it was something I was doing as I hadn't noticed it doing that before now but a glove would help. Thanks for the suggestion.

And @ Lara - love your avatar - such a cute puppy.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 09:53:13 PM »
That's Dakota, my baby.   ;)  She's 13 1/2 years old...and has been with me through thick and thin...  If she had thumbs, I'm sure she'd carry concealed too!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
I thought about this thread today and wanted to make sure I came back and added this.  If you conceal carry in a purse, a maxpedition bag or a fanny pack - a word of caution from me and I learned it the hard way.  When you arrive home and have to carry in groceries and packages make sure you keep your gun on you as you do so.  My habit was to unlock the back door and toss my bag in on the kitchen floor and start carrying in the groceries.  One day after my normal routine of tossing the bag inside I went out and started to unload groceries from my car as a man approached me with the story of wanting to clean my carpets (he was carrying a can of Pledge dusting spray). My gun was in the house.  The Two Blues were behind the dog gate (just a few feet but not close enough).  I still had my keys and pepper spray and eventually the guy left when I told him to go or I would loose the dogs.  Now if I don't want to carry my bag I take my gun out while still in my locked car and put it in the pocket of my jeans or in the waist band of my pants.  Also a good idea in case someone is in the house when you arrive as your gun is close at hand. 

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
TwoBluesMama and Lara, I have a Maxpedition Fatboy aswell and couldn't agree more on it. The bag is very sturdy and looks like it won't be wearing out anytime soon. I've had many people take a strange look at it. Mainly because I'm tiny and look completely innocent so they wonder why i need to carry something so heavy duty.
I've had a guy at work tell me : "That's some solid little bag!", probably because of the big strap. It's definitely not girly, not lady-like, matter of fact, it clashes with the way i dress sometimes but I'm a tomboy anyway...but hell it's absolutely well thought for CCW. The motion to get your gun out feels natural, and by adjusting the strap, you can make sure it's at the right level.

TwoBluesMama, i hear you on the groceries tip. My Maxpedition tends to get heavy (or i tend to get tired), with the gun in,the extra clip, my "ladies" stuff and my survival stuff. Last time i loaded out the groceries, i was tempted to put my bag down. I usually have a lot of groceries bags and narrow steps to climb up before i can put them down. I ended up powering through and keeping the Maxpedition on. I figured if something happened, i'd just drop everything and be ready on my gun.

Although the Maxpedition is a brilliant bag, I am now looking to try and transition to on-body carry. I'll def keep it around, especially rather for summer time when it's harder to concel on me, than in the winter time.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
I have my weapon!!!  Jason and I went to the local gun show this past weekend.  There was ONE Kahr K9 in full metal and it is MINE!  Got it for a steal as well, at least compared to full retail value.  Jason got a brand new Kahr CW40.

After we got home, he was handling my gun and decided that he liked MY gun better than his...I told him he could USE my gun if necessary, but it's MINE. mineminemineminemine.

Can't wait to get some time to go to the range!  Now, I need to start looking for some type of holster.

;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Whoo-hoo! Hurray for you, Ann. (and not too bad for Jason, too :) )