Author Topic: Inexpensive Can Rotation System?  (Read 18170 times)

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
Inexpensive Can Rotation System?
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
This says it's supposed to be for cans of pet food but I imagine regular cans will work too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/IRIS-Wire-Can-Dispenser-12-5oz-Can-Pet-Food-Storage-/180431353037?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a028bf4cd

Shipping is what hurts though.  I looked into getting 10 of these but shipping would have been $50.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Inexpensive Can Rotation System?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
Here is the post on my blog of what I did: http://alabamashooters.com/anothergunchick/?p=1140. The only thing I'd change is we got the top shelves too far from the back wall and the cans stick.  It's not a huge problem on the bottom set as I can reach in and pull them loose.  On the top set, I can't reach in.  I'm too short.  If I had actually gotten my planned vacation this week, I was going to fix it.  Alas, I'm stuck at work.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
It looks like it would take up more room having the 6 cans on their side vs standing up 3 cans and stacking the additional 3 cans on top. :-\

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:34 PM »
If you've got the materials around (I usually do), you might try something like this. It's what I'd like to do when I get time. Two good things is that it's modular (this one is three pieces) and it can serve as a counter top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHYXqCMyDXk#

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
It looks like it would take up more room having the 6 cans on their side vs standing up 3 cans and stacking the additional 3 cans on top. :-\

Agreed, but maintaining easy FIFO stock rotation takes priority over space savings in my books, within reason of course.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
Here is the post on my blog of what I did: http://alabamashooters.com/anothergunchick/?p=1140. The only thing I'd change is we got the top shelves too far from the back wall and the cans stick.  It's not a huge problem on the bottom set as I can reach in and pull them loose.  On the top set, I can't reach in.  I'm too short.  If I had actually gotten my planned vacation this week, I was going to fix it.  Alas, I'm stuck at work.

That's pretty cool Ms Peel. Nice work!

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
I agree, Nice work Ms.Peel.   :)

You know, I've look at and considered the various options made by Shelf Reliance, and the inventive methods such as the pics and vids linked to.
I can see how these may be helpful for some folks...but...

There's always a "but' isn't there?  ;)

I worked most of my youth...from 11 years old until 18 (entered the military)... in a grocery store.
Rotating the cans by pulling the older cans forward and placing the newer cans to the rear worked great then, and still serves me well now.
It also encourages me to give at least a cursory exam to the cans as I rotate them, ensuring they are in good condition.
I'm able to store a good amount on my shelves, but when I made the shelves I had this particular rotation system in mind.

I'm in no way intending any negativity regards the units mentioned, but what is the benefit over using the rolling type systems over the more traditional "pull forward" system I'm currently employing?

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
I think, for me, like the system I linked it would be an advantage to have a modular system that I could break down to move (home to home or room to room if needed), or even put one under a bed or something. That and doubling as a counter top or table is a good way to take advantage of it also, I could throw a double door on it and just make ti look like a regular cabinet.

I also work at a store where food is rotated (in theory, I've seen people stocking and not rotating) and have used this method even now. For some people, if it's not broke, don't fix it. For others, it might just be a little more convenient. That and it's a project (in my case) where I could add all kinds of cool stuff to what I'm doing and increase the versatility of the unit.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:01:12 AM »
Good points Storm.

I also like the potential for the counter top use.

And the modularity of the unit has some good points.

Thoughts to ponder...  :)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:45:54 AM »
In my house I have very deep cabinets that are hard to reach the back. I would love to see someones ideas for making that kind of cabinet accessible w/out throwing out your back.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »
For me, I am 5 ft tall.  Anything I do must take that into account.  With the shelving I did, I can just barely reach the top to put a can in.  I can reach to get it out.  However, there is no way, short of having a step stool available there all the time, to rotate those by hand.  The lower shelf would be easier.  However, I also know me.  I work full-time, shoot competitively 3 weekends a month, am active in two Ham Radio clubs and have two girls who do a lot of this with us.  I also have food allergies I must cook from scratch for (mostly).  I don't have time to worry about whether I remembered to rotate the food.

I think it is important to evaluate you when considering food storage.  Along with store what you eat, store it the most sensible way for you.  I saw posted somewhere where someone had made a "buffet" with can storage inside.  It had sliding doors across the front to access the cans and was open in the back to put the can in.  All closed up it looked like a beautiful piece of furniture that matched the rest of the dining suite.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
Hours of fun for the whole family! :)    The engineer in me would start putting sensors on it to count the cans in and out then populating a database and generating daily status reports.... at the end of the day, I'll build shelves and just stack the things.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »
Hours of fun for the whole family! :)    The engineer in me would start putting sensors on it to count the cans in and out then populating a database and generating daily status reports....

That would be sweet.

Offline FloridaHillbilly

• Prepper
    • FloridaHillbilly
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »
This says it's supposed to be for cans of pet food but I imagine regular cans will work too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/IRIS-Wire-Can-Dispenser-12-5oz-Can-Pet-Food-Storage-/180431353037?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a028bf4cd

Shipping is what hurts though.  I looked into getting 10 of these but shipping would have been $50.

I bought one each of the original posted item in 5.5oz can size (like for the short tuna cans) and one of the 12.5oz can size.

What I've found so far:
The tuna can rack is a bit wide for the regular tuna cans, though will work. I'll be testing more cans in the near future in it.

The 12.5oz can rack is perfect for Cambells soups and Rotel tomatoes, most food cans in the 10.5 oz size. It seems pet food cans are not the same sizes and heights as food cans (this was news to me, not a pet owner).

Also, for the record, based on the fine print on the listing's shipping details, this seller combines shipping, so 10 racks of the same size would only be $48 including shipping. I've not contacted them to see if they'd combine on multiple rack sizes. In fact, they hit me for the full shipping price for the two different racks, but shipped both in the same box. Guess I should have asked first, eh?

Peace.

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
if anyone has e plans for one of these please post them. Videos are great but plans would be even better.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

fromPragmaticprep    Rotating the cans by pulling the older cans forward and placing the newer cans to the rear worked great then, and still serves me well now.

I have to agree.  I have industrial shelving in my basement and when I add new canned food preps I simply put them towards the back, and pull the older ones forward.  It is a little more time consuming and sometimes requires getting down on my knees....but for the time/cost and aggravation of building or buying auto rotating shelves.....I'm just fine with doing it the old way! ;)

Offline Cranemech

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
Evening All,
  I purchased my can organizers from canorganizer.com. They are made of cardboard and they fill from the front and unload from the front. I reinforced them with duct tape and work well for the price (approx. $5 each incl shipping, since I bought 5 packs I got a discount) I use them on my 24" deep shelving units. I'm not sure yet about longevity I've only had them a month or so.
Later, 
   Chad

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 07:02:35 AM »
Just a quick update after using the system we built in the link above.  I love it.  We have made one improvement.  I noted that the cans jam at the back.  Well, while building another project, we had a lot over 2x4 ends left over.  They were perfect squares so 4x2x4.  DH cut them diagonally from one corner to another across the 4x4 side to make a wedge.  I glued them in at the back of the shelves where the smaller cans were jamming and, presto, no more jams. 

Also a heads-up.  Many of the canned good "cases" at Costco are in boxes that are a can rotation system, like a Coke fridge 12-pack.  And the prices on the canned goods are much better than any grocery store, including Mallmart.  Then they also put them on sale regularly for buy one get one free.  The boxes aren't great but with some reinforcing they could probably be used over and over.