Author Topic: hunting lease land  (Read 2745 times)

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
hunting lease land
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
I'm looking into leasing land for hunting and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with that sort of thing before could offer some advice on what to ask, look for, or watch out for. Thanks - Kris in NW Florida

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: hunting lease land
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
If you want to drive all the way up to WV you can hunt on my land. Plenty of deer and turkey.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
Thanks for the invite but I am a southern girl and don't do snow  :P There are people in the are here that allow day hunts on their land but they want like $125 per day! I think land owners don't allow it due to liability. With the lease I have have the land year round to plant a plot, ATV ride (off season) and their is a shooting range and cleaning station we can all use. Sounds like a good deal...so I wonder, whats the catch??

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »
There may or may not be a catch.  Have you looked at the contract, did the owner even offer a written contract or was it word of mouth & a handshake?

Everything should be spelled out in the contract, if no contract is offered then I wouldn't chance it.  The owner could make up the rules as he goes & you could end up losing out.

I've leased 600 acres the past few years.  We had a contract, the first year however the owner didn't put in the contract that he'd be allowing logging on this 600 acre tract.  I was very surprised by this because he'd not mentioned it to the lease holders.  We were able to come to an amicable agreement, but if it hadn't been for the contract I'm not sure that would have been the case.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
Went out to look at the property over the weekend and found a nice 100 acre spot with an old deer plot near a creek. Problem is the land is 2 hours away and probably won't be used but one weekend a month. The rules are in writing and look pretty good but there is no garantee loggers won't start pulling timber from your land at any time, though the trees in this area look too young for that. The guy also wouldn't pro-rate for the year. Think I'd like to look for something more north of here that can be used as a bug out location in case of hurricane...that means an out of state hunting license though. Grrr >:(

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
  madashell I do not know where you live in Florida but me, my wife, and 3 kids live on the Polk- Lake County border. I live out in the Green Swamp with thousand of acres to ride and shoot and hunt.. If you would like to come out to the homestead and meet the family and do a little atv riding then let me know. live on 6 acres so finding a place to throw up a tent not a problem. I even have a place to hook up and camper with power, water, and septic if you have a camper. I am about 30 to 40 min from Orlando on Tampa side. I have posted this, about anyone interested in these things to give me a holler, but I don"t think to many people atv and hunt around these parts. unfortunately I am tied up for awhile so will not be available until after hunting season. If you like to hwag hunt though that's year round out hear.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »
That's very nice of you Chief however I live up in the Panhandle near the Alabama border and that would be quite a drive. :o I wish I could find some affordable land out this way then I could have my own. These crazy folks up here want $10k per acre! Is 6 acres enough for hunting and riding? Don't have a camper anymore, I sold it since I am doing a lot of tent camping with my boys in Scouts...I actually like it better! If I can save up enough money I may try one of the NRA "Women on Target" hunts or see if there is a Beyond BOW hunt in my area. I can always use the Air Force reservation and Blackwater State Forest but there is a lot of pressure there.  ???