Author Topic: Butchering game  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Chezplex

• Fledgling Prepper
Butchering game
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »
How about some good videos here of butchering game.  Most of the ones on You Tube are jerky, dark, or too far back to see properly.  Especially on gutting & skinning.  Links to good ones will work also.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Butchering game
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »
Got any buddies that hunt just ask them to tag along and watch for yourself or better yet ask them to point out what needs to be done if you could do it for them.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
The Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries - A Professional Guide To Field Dressing, Skinning, And Butchering White Tailed Deer

My father just gave me a copy.  It's our local wildlife biologist (a good guy and avid hunter) for the field dressing and skinning parts and then a professional butcher showing the butchering part.  This video runs for over an hour and a half and is a great resource even if you pay somebody else to process your game. At $12 it's a steal.

https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW250

djturnz

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:18:14 AM »
Got any buddies that hunt just ask them to tag along and watch for yourself or better yet ask them to point out what needs to be done if you could do it for them.
Better yet, take a camcorder along and video tape it for everyone.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Butchering game HOG-
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
Not a vid but a graphic powerpoint on how to butcher a hog.

http://www.bdbbq.com/Butchering.ppt

Offline punkin

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »
Ill post one up this fall during our archery season.  My FIL and I butcher our own deer every year.  Theres no need in paying someone to do it for us.  Its easy to do and you can make the cuts the way you want. 

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
My name is Pat. I'm new to the forum, but I have worked as a butcher/meat cutter. I don't have a video, just some things to remember. When we processed deer it was usually dirty and smelled like it was going bad. I always told customer that they had to be in a clean area when they skin/gut animals. You also need to cool the meat as quickly as possible. Don't gut it and then drag it through dirt and leaves. If dirt and leaves get into the body cavity, all the exposed meat has to be trimmed off and trashed. If you don't have anything to wrap it in, it could be better to drag it close to your vehicle before skinning/gutting. Also having a cooler with gallon jugs of ice would help for cooling meat quickly and keeping it clean. Don't wrap it in plastic and have the ice on the outside of the plastic. Plastic sheeting does insulate better than you might think. It does a good job if you pack the cavity with ice jugs then wrap the deer with plastic. And you want to hose the carcass off well asap. Anything you can do to keep the meat clean and cool it quickly will increase the percentage of usable meat you can harvest from an animal.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
There is a similar thread going on about this here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7358.0

I think the videos I posted links to weren't that great, but at least it was something.

That sounds like great advice phuttan +1! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we can all lean a lot from you with posts like that.

-Chris

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
There is a similar thread going on about this here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7358.0

I think the videos I posted links to weren't that great, but at least it was something.

That sounds like great advice phuttan +1! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we can all lean a lot from you with posts like that.

-Chris
Chris that's the link to the alcohol as a barter item thread buddy....

Try this one, if it's the one you're thinking of.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
Oops, too much copy and pasting tonight :-[

Thanks DEV!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »
Oops, too much copy and pasting tonight :-[

Thanks DEV!
I figured as much.... ;D

duradster

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
I was thinking about purchasing this video.

"Down to the Bone is a quick and easy method for deboning an elk in the field. This DVD will help you learn a simple and legal method of removing the edible portions of meat from an elk where it falls."

http://wildlife.state.co.us/wildlifeStore/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=D07

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
Well I'll first say that I've yet to shoot a deer... but this is the video I've got and its pretty good!  I feel much more confident having watched it...

https://secure.kentucky.gov/Mall/Store/7803440a42df458c815d9db55890b738/Product/2457ec1426cd42e2b5d4cbb53d6d2387/

Its too bad I couldn't find a link to the actual video...

There's my 2Cents

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
HEY!!!  I found it~ sorta... 

Here's a link to the field dressing part of the video I was talking about... the butchering part is pretty good too!

...its just too bad I didn't get to make use of that video today... first day of "The Original Assault Weapon" Season, otherwise known as muzzle loading season, here in KY... and all I saw was 3 squirrels, 2 ducks, and some geese... oh, and I heard a gobble...