Author Topic: Tattler Reusable Canning Jar Lids  (Read 8964 times)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Tattler Reusable Canning Jar Lids
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Do it!  ;D

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »
I got some of these last year for my bday they worked fine but I didn't like the plastic smell they put off...food grade or not plastic is plastic and I kinda always worry when I open something acidic wondering what I'm really cooking for dinner.. ??? My grandmother always had just plain ol whole lids and saved every jar she ever bought and canned in them(same lids as well) for years..I do the same thing even tho mason says It's not safe and to only use mason jars ::) every other brand says the same thing..but I have (crossing fingers) yet to die from doing so..I haven't had to do this yet but my grandmother would melt wax on the inside rubber if the lid continually failed to seal..although if its something I plan on storing for more than the winter I do use new lids..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
Living deep Off Grid in the NE Oregon Blue Mountain range

Offline micajoan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the better price on Amazon. I had wanted to try those out as well but I tend to buy up every last lid I can find at the end of canning season when all the big box stores want them off the shelf.  I think I picked up 10+ boxes of lids at Lowes last season for < $0.50 a box.  Even at $10 on Amazon it's still a long payback period.  I'd like to try them as a BPA free alternative to the Ball lids, but FSW has me a little nervous with the "plastic smell".

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »
I did ask the company about this smell and they said " it will fade with use or repeated washes" its the same smell as the cheap rubber toys from like a dollars store or bouncy balls..just odd to me..FDA approves all sorts of things... :tinfoily: then we get to see those " if you have taken blah blah blah and have gotten 20 page list of horrid effects you may be entitled to blah blah blah.." ;D
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

-Tom Waits

Offline srob308

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
Our pressure canning has gone perfect with these this past fall, and now as we can afford it, we are switching over completely to the tatlers. I love being able to reuse them multiple times. We have some that have been used 5 times already and show no signs of wear!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:45 AM »
I forgot to report on these.  I used some on pint jars of chicken.  I did half with tattler and half with Ball/kerr.  Had one jar out of the 24 fail - it was a tattler. but that is about the same fail rate I usually have for a batch of jars.

then my mom gave me 2 dozen for Christmas, so excited and happy that she had given me something new and cool.  Almost didn't have the heart to tell her that I had some and had used them already.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
These lids are still on my wish list. I have so many regular lids stockpiled already that I haven't done it... but I will once we get through the next move.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
There was a huge sale on markdown.com yesterday 200 lids and rings for 87$.. still waiting on my confirmation # and will report another opinion on them.ASAP

-Tom Waits

Offline pawonfire

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
I bought 3 boxes to try out at the end of last year.  Some have been used multiple times already and still look fine.  The only issue I had initially was the different way to tighten the rings.  Since I have gotten the hang of it, I'll never buy a metal lid again.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
I just bottled 42 jars of chicken stock.  used 13 tattler lids, the rest traditional metal seals.  all sealed.  my cute neighbor girl who has been helping me so much these last few weeks was very interested in them, maybe for her mom for mothers day.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
I have a question for those of you using these.
Usually, after I have washed the sealed jars, I take a sharpie and write the content of the jar and the year.  Obviously, you can tell it is peaches, but blackberry jam and blueberry jam can get confusing, and the year is always important.  Writing on the metal ball/kerr lids is not a problem.  but what about on the Tattler lids?  How are you labeling your jars?  I have 3 dozen reg mouth lids, and 1 dz wide.  But more are definitely in my future.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
I just put a small piece of scotch tape on the lid and write on it with a sharpie.  Fast and easy and the tape comes right off after use.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
I have a question for those of you using these.
Usually, after I have washed the sealed jars, I take a sharpie and write the content of the jar and the year.  Obviously, you can tell it is peaches, but blackberry jam and blueberry jam can get confusing, and the year is always important.  Writing on the metal ball/kerr lids is not a problem.  but what about on the Tattler lids?  How are you labeling your jars?

I colour code each year anyway, last year was black, this coming year is blue and it will be green for 2014. I am getting the round sticky dots and putting those on the tops of the jars and labeling contents.

And I took the plunge and bought a years worth.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
I colour code each year anyway, last year was black, this coming year is blue and it will be green for 2014. I am getting the round sticky dots and putting those on the tops of the jars and labeling contents.

That's what I do.  Last year's dots were green, this year they are pink, next year's will be orange...and I write the month number on each colored dot. I also "dot date" my store bought goods as well, so the kids know at a glance what to use first since the dots are much easier to see vs trying to find where the date has been written on the pkg with a sharpie. And I use the little dots that are the size of a pencil eraser - get a lot more per pkg that way, and they are just as easy to spot as the bigger ones.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
+1 Cedar on the color dots. I think I'll have to do that, too. In previous years (when I had more time to spare), I used to make darling little sticky labels for my canned goods... this year has been seriously time-challenged, so no time for that. I'm lucky the food got canned at all!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Tattler Reusable Canning Jar Lids SALE ONE DAY ONLY
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
WOW!  I just heard of this.  if you have been wanting to buy these, NOW is the time.

http://50.63.60.221/One%20Day%20Landing.aspx

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Thanks Morning Sunshine!!! I just ordered the 12dozen of each.

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Life=Chaos Management
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »
They are having a one day sale again today.  http://50.63.60.221/One%20Day%20Landing.aspx
EmmaPeel
mom to two girls (16 & 12)
married nearly 23 years, gluten-free for over 11 years
My Life=Chaos Management

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »
I ordered their sample kit for $2.50 no shipping. You get two pint size and two quart size. For anyone who wants to try it out before you make a huge investment. I will let you know how I like them.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/store/index.php/shop/sample-free-shipping-limit-1-per-customer.html

Patrick

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
I still have a couple thousand traditional/metal flats that I need to use up, but when I saw the Tattlers at the Expo this past weekend, I just couldn't resist picking up four boxes each of both the regular and the large mouth lids/gaskets. Plus got a $10 gift certificate, which I am going to use toward a couple pkgs of replacement gaskets. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain