Author Topic: Anyone trying to grow large winter squash in zone 8?  (Read 994 times)

Offline QuiltingB

• Senior Survivalist
    • http://blueroseweb.com/quiltingb
Anyone trying to grow large winter squash in zone 8?
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
I try, year after year, to grow large winter squash down here, with poor results.  This year I planted Boston Marrow, Pink Banana, Blue Hubbard, Pennsylvania Dutch Crooknect and an unknown Hopi variety.  I have one large Boston Marrow - gotta be at least 10 to 15 pounds - but the skin is still soft and the stem is green - a few other smaller Marrows, one sizable Hopi, a skinnyand maybe a half dozen other smaller squashes.  I hand pollinate whenever I see a female flower, but I see a lot of 5 or 6" failed baby squashes.

I love winter squashes and so I try, year after year.  Still have to buy new seeds because I can't be certain of the purity of all the varieties I grow.

Waltham Butternut is a small winter squash, and I always have success with them.

I plant early in May, after the soil warms up.  This June we had mostly 100+ degree weather.  That hot spell ended the last week of June with lots of rain.  We have had lots of rain since the last of June thru today - usually we don't have any real rain from June thru August and usually not until mid September.  So, after watering my plants - keeping them alive and now they are very moist.

I'm afraid that the hot weather may have been detrimental to female bud production and pollination.

I'm very frustrated with the heat I have to deal with and the usually dry conditions.

Also, I try to hand pick squash bugs, but things have gotten out of hand and last week I went on a Malathion rampage and did serious damage to the squash bugs that have helped kill my summer squash, zukes and winter squash.  Before my 'treatment', I was seeing squash bugs - dozens of them - all over, and usually either laying eggs or producing those eggs >:(  They were out of hand and I had to do something really effective.  Do or die time.

I try to hand smash squash bug eggs, but they are all over - numerous clumps on single large leaves.  The natural predators just wern't doing the job - so I had to help.  I went on the rampage after seeing too many large vines dying and the leaves drying up.  I know that I have some squash vine borers and they are probably doing serious damage to the dying vines.  I tried, until they get too thick, to pile up dirt at leaf joints so that the roots set and grow into the soil.  Don't know how effective that is.

Has anyone had success with large winter squash in the hot south, zone 8??  I would really like to know what to do differently.  So much work for such a small yield.  But winter squash are important to me and the way we cook in the winter - If I can't grow enough, I have to end up buying some crummy little winter squash from the grocery store - and I don't like to do that:  crummy selection and expensive.
WHERE'S THE REAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE, Barry Soetoro (your last known legal name)? I still question your citizenship.  If this is your birth
certificate, why has it taken you years to release it and why have you spent over $2 Million thus far to prevent its release? While you are at
it, why don't you release all your other missing documents including your many school records, medical records, parent's marriage licenses, your Indonesian passport, and so on.  And lets clear up the matter of your many fake Social Security numbers you have used along with your many aliases.

But, alas, it doesn't matter anyway because you are not and never were a NATURAL BORN CITIZEN (US Constitution Art 2, Sec 1). At best you are a dual US-British citizen - but even that was lost when you became a citizen of Indonesia. Are you still an Indonesian citizen? One thing you are NOT is legally eligible to be President of the United States. WE ARE IN A CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS AND NO ONE CARES.

homeshow

Re: Anyone trying to grow large winter squash in zone 8?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
what about BT?

Offline QuiltingB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
I don't have a worm problem - not even a tomato hornworm this year.  My problem is the evil squash bug - always sucking my squash leaf's juice and reproducing themselves.

Forgot to mention above that my winter squash are planted under a tree area that gets partial sun at several times during the course of the day - if they got full sun, me thinks that they would have totally burned up in June - I would have been left with a host of homeless squash bugs and squash vine borers.

I love winter squash and keep trying to grow it year after year and was really just wondering if anyone else in this warmer zone was having bountiful success like I see in pictures from up north- where people show piles of jumbo winter squash.
WHERE'S THE REAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE, Barry Soetoro (your last known legal name)? I still question your citizenship.  If this is your birth
certificate, why has it taken you years to release it and why have you spent over $2 Million thus far to prevent its release? While you are at
it, why don't you release all your other missing documents including your many school records, medical records, parent's marriage licenses, your Indonesian passport, and so on.  And lets clear up the matter of your many fake Social Security numbers you have used along with your many aliases.

But, alas, it doesn't matter anyway because you are not and never were a NATURAL BORN CITIZEN (US Constitution Art 2, Sec 1). At best you are a dual US-British citizen - but even that was lost when you became a citizen of Indonesia. Are you still an Indonesian citizen? One thing you are NOT is legally eligible to be President of the United States. WE ARE IN A CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS AND NO ONE CARES.

homeshow

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
some people inject BT mixed with water into the squash vines once a month and it kills the larva.

Offline QuiltingB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
some people inject BT mixed with water into the squash vines once a month and it kills the larva.

Wow - that sounds pretty cool - I think I will try that next year - a small hole in the hollow vine shouldn't hurt - some of my vines have actual splits.  I think the vine is hollow but that the actual plant fluids flow thru the walls of the vine.

Good tip - thanks!!

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
I'm not that crazy about winter squash except for the butternut so I don't usually plant it. The one year I did, I didn't put it in the ground till the end of July even though the rest of the garden was planted in mid-late April. It did fine and I think it was because it had cooled off some before the plants started setting fruit. Coulda been luck too but that's also when I plant my kohlrabi.