Author Topic: Herbal First Aid Kit questions  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
Herbal First Aid Kit questions
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:26 AM »
I've seen and am interested in the WB first aid kit, but I couldn't find either a price or even a way to order it online. I suppose that is deliberate - you must call or write?

Also, though some herbs were mentioned that are in the kit, many items were only referred to as 'herbal' and the like, such as "Herbal Ear Drops", "Herbal Eyewash", "Nerve Calm Formula". Any way to get a complete list of what you are buying before you buy?

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
Re: Herbal First Aid Kit questions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if WB even checks this board at all. I thought the commercial supporters were supposed to check the boards at least once a week. Oh well, maybe they are on vacation.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
Sorry for the slow response.  We (Western Botanicals) currently are no longer selling our Herbal First Aid Kit.  Our recommendations are to put your own kit together using single herbs, formulas and essential oils that we produce.  I have included a list that I recommend.  The key to a successful first aid kit is to become familiar with the use of what you have in there.  If you are not accustom to using herbal remedies, then begin using them so that when the time comes they are not strangers to you.  If you have any questions after you go through this, you can better reach me through western botanicals - kchristensen@westernbotanicals.com

Blessings,

HERBAL FIRST AID
Herbal medicine can be intimidating, particularly if you have been raised using the modern medical model.  Namely, go to the doctor or emergency room for every health problem and trust that the prescription you fill will resolve the issue.  We have been taught that if you try to do things on your own, you can make things worse - much worse - so don’t dabble in things you can’t understand.  What a great marketing strategy!  Don’t try this at home - leave it to the professionals.  Well, truth be told, health care can be tricky and puzzling for even the most educated and well trained.  But that does not mean you shouldn’t try things on your own, especially for non-life-threatening things that come up.

The key to home health care is to start out easy and simple.  We do not recommend that you attempt to handle any true emergency without the proper skill and training.  Our emergency rooms are the best in the world for handling true life and death emergencies. But there is so much that can be done at home to take care of health problems and concerns that do not require an emergency room surgeon. 

The strength and power of herbs is taking care of concerns BEFORE they become an emergency requiring outside intervention.  By taking a herbal remedy at the very beginning, when you first notice a problem, you can often stop its progression and regain your health in a very uneventful fashion.  I am convinced that most of the battles won by herbs are done silently and quietly without the drama of crisis intervention.  Of course, the use of herbal remedies can and do produce dramatic life saving effects when necessary, but it is always preferable to “nip it in the bud” so to speak. 

So my challenge to you is to get started, if you haven’t already, on a path of natural healing.  Begin with a minor problem or issue that may come up and start in a way that is not too uncomfortable for you.  If you are currently taking something on a regular basis that you don’t feel good about, look into a more natural way to deal with the problem.  Remember that medicines are often designed to manage symptoms, not correct the underlying cause of the problem.  Often there are long term risks and consequences of taking drugs for extended periods.  Our bodies were designed to be self regulating and really do function much better when we don’t have to rely on medical intervention.

In an effort to help you get started, I’ve include my Herbal First Aid Kit list.  This list contains an overview of what many of Western Botanicals’ herbal remedies are used for.  Ideally, you will be able to supplement your own home first aid kit with many of the things that are listed here. Please take some time and review the list adding those things that make sense to you.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »
My last post did not include the list for my first aid kit. 

herbdoc

Herbal First Aid Kit List

To make this list work for you, please read through the list and highlight those items you would like to include or add to your existing first aid kit.  Get a box or tote and start adding those things on the list as you gather them together or purchase them.  Use a book such as Herbal First Aid and Health Care by Dr. Kyle Christensen or another good reference book as part of your first aid kit.  Assemble your kit now, before you need it.  Tailor the contents to fit your family’s particular needs and lifestyle. Assemble them in a backpack or tool chest. Any bottle or container that is not labeled should be discarded.  “If in doubt, throw it out.” Check your kit periodically to restock.  Start using it now for any of  your health needs.

Herbal Formulas
1.   Immune Boost – used for infectious illness, feverish illness or a general immune system boost.
2.   Colon Cleanse – an excellent herbal laxative that assists with bowel elimination while building tone and strengthening the colon.
3.   Colon Detox – used to deeply cleanse the colon, for diarrhea, used as a drawing poultice, for stings and bites.  Use internally for food poisoning.
4.   Digestion Aid Formula – for indigestion, upset stomach or gastritis.
5.   CTR Ointment (Complete Tissue Repair Ointment) – use to speed the healing of cuts, wounds, abrasions, bruises.  Any type of wound healing.
6.   Lungs Plus formula – for asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, any respiratory problem.
7.   Deep Heat oil or ointment – for sprains, strains and muscular pain.  Also relieves earache (only use if eardrum is NOT ruptured).
8.   CTR Syrup – used internally to speed the healing of any injury where tissue has been disrupted or damaged.
9.   Kidney-Bladder Formula – for urinary tract infection, incontinence, general edema (swelling) or kidney and bladder concerns.
10.   Liver-Gallbladder Formula – for any liver condition (infectious or toxic), for digestive complaints.
11.   Nerve Calm Formula – for nervous tension, irritation, insomnia or panic attacks.
12.   Herbal Anti-Septic Formula – to cleanse and disinfect wounds
13.   Herbal Tooth Powder – for any teeth or gum infection or weakness.  Tightens loose teeth.
14.   Herbal Ear Drops – used for earaches inside the ears as well as around the ears.  Used also for external glandular swelling or cysts.
15.   Herbal Mouthwash – for gingivitis, pyorrhea, and mouth sores.
16.   Female Balance Formula – for any hormonally related female condition.
17.   Anti-Plague Syrup – for any infectious condition that can result in death (the plague).  Use to boost and stimulate the immune system.
18. Anti-Inflammation Formula - for inflammation and pain associated with.  Gentle and safe enough for prolonged use.

Single Herbs
1.   Cayenne tincture – used to stop bleeding, for shock and to increase circulation
2.   Cayenne powder – for bleeding, shock and circulation
3.   Lobelia tincture – relaxant, anti-spasmodic, for asthma (bronchial dilator), an emetic.
4.   Peppermint essential oil – for digestion, opens the lungs and sinuses.
5.   Tea Tree essential oil – topical anti-fungal, anti-bacterial
6.   Oregano infused oil – sublingually used for anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, immune builder.

Single Herbs - continued
7.   Clove essential oil – topical pain reliever for teeth or mouth sores.
8.   Lavender essential oil – topical anti-bacterial, for insect bites.
9.   Garlic infused oil – for ear infections, topical anti-bacterial, anti-fungal.
10.   Slippery Elm bark powder – soothes digestive upsets, for colitis and irritable bowel.
11.   Castor oil – used topically as a fomentation to relieve and reduce pain, inflammation, growths and swellings.
12.   Shepherd’s Purse tincture – stops excessive bleeding, especially menstrual or related to childbirth.
13.   Crystalized Ginger or Ginger capsules – used for motion sickness, dizziness, nausea, indigestion or taken for cold hands and feet.
14.   Yarrow tincture – for fevers
15.   Plantain tincture – for bites, stings, or skin irritations
16.   Mullein tincture – calms and soothes digestion
17.   Fennel tincture – for gas or bloating.
18. Turmeric - for inflammation, swelling, and digestive complaints.

Miscellaneous
1.   Sea Salt – for mineral replacement in dehydration (Celtic Sea Salt, Redmond Real Salt)
2.   Soap – liquid anti-bacterial or castile soap – to clean wounds and skin.
3.   Epsom Salt or Dead Sea Salt  – used to draw out toxins and radiation.  Used 1 –2 cups per bath.
4.   Apple Cider Vinegar – for arthritis (internally) and to wash the skin.
5.   Baking Soda – used to neutralize acids burns, for re-hydration, and insect bites.
6.   Miso – used nutritionally to ward off the effects of radiation.  Made into a soup.
7.   Rubbing Alcohol or alcohol preps – used to clean around wounds.
8.   Potassium Iodide – for thyroid protection against radiation

Tools
1.   Tweezers – for removal of splinters or debris from skin or tissues.
2.   Scissors – to cut bandages, cloth, etc.
3.   Thermometer – for taking temperatures.
4.   Tongue Depressors – for finger splints.
5.   Tape – to adhere bandages.
6.   Snake Bite Kit – in addition to snake bites, use for spider or insect bites.  A portable suction devise is good to have on hand.
7.   Cotton Applicator (Q-tips) – to apply herbs in small areas or to scrub and clean tissue.
8.   Splinter removers – more customized than general tweezers.
9.   Instant Ice Pack – for sprains, strains, contusions when a freezer and ice is not available.  The I. in R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate)
10.   Epi-Pen – epinephrine injection, if there is a history of severe allergic reactions.
11.   Otoscope – this tool can be purchased inexpensively to view the ear canal.
12.   Stethoscope & Blood Pressure Cuff – to monitor blood pressure and to listen to the heart and the lungs.
13.   Nail Clippers – specialized tool for nails (ingrown toenails)
14.   Bulb Syringe – to forcefully rinse wounds, for small enemas, to extract mucus.  Sterilize after every use.
15.   Hot Water Bottle/Enema/Douche.
16.   Dental Mirror – to view mouth and teeth.

Bandaging
1.   16-36 each Band-Aids – 1/2” x 3”, 3/4” x 4”, knuckles
2.   Ace Bandages - 2”, 3” and 6”
3.   Flannel – 11” x 14” – an old nightgown or shirt
Bandaging - continued
4.   Gauze – many sizes of both pads and rolls
5.   Waterproof tape
6.   Vinyl examination gloves – one box – multiple sizes if necessary for your family.
7.   Feminine Napkins – for heavy bleeding (not just female concerns)
8.   Moleskin – for blisters or to protect skin from wear.
9.   SAM Splint – use for arms, legs, ankle or neck immobilization.
10.    Butterfly bandages and Super Glue for wound closure.
11.  An old clean sheet or two can be useful in making more bandages and many other uses.

Emergency and Other Items to Consider
1.   Cell phone and recharger that utilizes the accessory plug in your car dash
2.   Emergency phone numbers of all family, friends andcontact information for your family doctor and pediatrician, local emergency services, emergency road service providers and the regional poison control center
3.    Small, waterproof flashlight and extra batteries
4.    Candles and matches for cold climates
5.   Sunscreen and lotion
6.   Mylar emergency blanket
7.   First-aid instruction manual - such as Herbal First Aid and Health Care, by Christensen - personally I have several that cover many different aspects of health and first aid.
8.   Plastic bags for the disposal of contaminated materials
9.   Safety pins in assorted sizes
10.   Save-A-Tooth storage device containing salt solution and a travel case &/or emergency dental kit
11. Aluminum finger splints
12. Water purifying - chlorine bleach and/or hand water filter
13. Copies of important family documents
14. Dust masks/mirco filter masks
15. Whistle
16. Maps of the area
17. Bug Out Bag - 72 hour kit
18. Clear Plastic sheeting to cover windows (if they break in an earthquake) and Duct tape
19. Matches
20. Garbage bags
21. Writing paper/pencils/pens
22. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
23. Good multipurpose knife and Scissors
24. Siphon & hand pumps
25. Boy Scout Handbook
26. Work Gloves
27. Glue
28. Extra Reading Glasses
29. Repair tools
30. Wrenches/pliars to turn of water and gas to home
31. Etc.

This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases, or replaces the services of a competent health care provider.  This program has not been evaluate or approved by the FDA.  By all means listen to your body and use common sense.

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
Thank you. Though I am disappointed in your kit being no longer available, I'm glad for the opportunity to learn more of what I should have should I make up my own.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:42:52 AM »
Stormchaser,

The key to an effect first aid kit is knowing how to use the things that are in it.  Too many gather all kinds of stuff without the knowledge of what to do with it.  It is a good idea to get everything you can whether for first aid or any other prep because when things go awry chances are someone will know what to do with all of the stuff.  So I encourage you and everyone else to become familiar with as many of the herbs as you can.  Use the herbal remedies for even minor problems that may arise so that you become familiar with how things taste or feel.  As you do this, you will gain confidence in what you are doing.  I would recommend supplementing your existing first aid kit with some of the items on my list. 

Some products to start with are things for the colon.  If people need to start living off their food storage supplies, the change in diet may result in a disruption to normal bowel function.  So I would put near the top of your list our Colon Cleanse (an herbal laxative) and Colon Detox (stops diarrhea) or similar products.  During the Civil War the diet of soldiers (on both sides) resulted in constipation to the degree that outside of traumatic injury that was the most common ailment.

Anyway, please let me know how I can assist you any further.

Herbdoc