Author Topic: EMERGENCY DATA CARDS  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
EMERGENCY DATA CARDS
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
Soooo... I got a quote back from the Data card place.  They will end up costing you guys about $20.00 a piece for a 2 GB card.  They look like a credit card:

Are you guys really interested in these?  I know you can get the little cheapo thumb drives on Amazon for $6.00 a piece.  These are going to cost us more than twice that. 

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: EMERGENCY DATA CARDS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
Specs!  We need specs!

Let's see, what did you say in the other thread....

...They'll be a bit more expensive, but they are waterproof, heat resistant, can be carried in a wallet like a credit card, and of course, they are awesome. ...

If it is as sturdy as a credit card (or nearly as sturdy), and no thicker than, say, 3 credit cards, and bulletproof, then I'll buy 100 and build an emergency data vest. ;D

If they aren't bulletproof then I'll still buy at least 2.

You know, 2 GB is enough to hold a whole bootable Ubuntu Linux system, and a bunch of other software like GPG (encryption), and still have a ton of room left for data.  Hmm. :)

Offline rickc

• Prepper
    • CandA Media
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
I'd be interested in a couple of these.  I would be able to easily distingush between my other data devices and this.  Also, these will easily work in a file with our important papers.  Thumb drives are bit awkward to store in a file folder or notebook.

Offline Fatchumang

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »
how does it work?  Can you plug it in like a thumb drive?  I've recently been looking into the Verbatim tuff n tiny for my EDC keychain.  It has great reviews from what I can find.  Something like this with a tsp logo would be awesome....

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
how does it work?  Can you plug it in like a thumb drive?  I've recently been looking into the Verbatim tuff n tiny for my EDC keychain.  It has great reviews from what I can find.  Something like this with a tsp logo would be awesome....

Yup, you plug it in just like a thumb drive.  the little usb part slides out a bit so that it looks like the top pic (the bottom pic is the back of the card) and you slide it into a USB drive.  The card part sticks out of the side.  When you're done, you unplug it, slide the usb part in, and stick it in your wallet like a credit card.

the tuff n tiny cards are the same basic usb thing, they just don't have the card attached.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »
Specs!  We need specs!

Let's see, what did you say in the other thread....

If it is as sturdy as a credit card (or nearly as sturdy), and no thicker than, say, 3 credit cards, and bulletproof, then I'll buy 100 and build an emergency data vest. ;D

If they aren't bulletproof then I'll still buy at least 2.

You know, 2 GB is enough to hold a whole bootable Ubuntu Linux system, and a bunch of other software like GPG (encryption), and still have a ton of room left for data.  Hmm. :)

Correct on all accounts.

How many is the minimum?
Do a pre-order like the mugs?
Shipping costs?

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
Any idea how durable these are? They can be carried in a wallet, but will they survive me siting on my wallet every day?

Mike

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »
How many is the minimum?
Do a pre-order like the mugs?
Shipping costs?

Don't know about the minimum
Probably will do a SLIGHT pre-order, like the mugs.
Shipping costs will be minimal, as the weight of these will be minimal.

Any idea how durable these are? They can be carried in a wallet, but will they survive me siting on my wallet every day?

Don't know.  I carry my wallet in my bag, and my husband carries his in a cargo pocket, so I've got no way to test their durability even if I had one.  I'd be inclined to say - don't sit on it daily.  But that's just me.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
I love these USB drives....
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11225

I have the 8GB drive and its part of my EDC for work. 8GB is more than enough. The coolest thing about these is the fact that I have been soaked with rain and snow on more than one occasion and so has this key! It still works, built from steel, almost water proof!

...and it looks just like any other key on your key ring.

Pricey, I know. But I have been using the key every day for the last two years with no problems.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
Sweet product, I will definitely take at least 2-3 of them. I don't like the bulkiness of regular thumb drives and I like the idea of having one in my wallet. Good Find ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
I could get keys, or bullets, or cards, or a number of different shapes on these.  I liked the idea of cards, because there is so much printing space, and they'll be easy to identify when you need/want them.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
Okay we have two options on the cards.  We can either get....

A) 3mm thick, usb drive is fully removable.

B) 2mm thick, usb drive remains attached to the card at all times.

A normal credit card is ABOUT 1 mm thick.  So the second option is about twice as thick as a credit card.  The first option is about 3 times as thick as a credit card.

I usually keep 3 or 4 cards in each slot in my wallet.  So I guess this means that one of these will take up 1/2 to 3/4 of a slot in my wallet.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
I vote for Option "A" but will buy either version that is agreed upon. 2Gigs is a good size card for emergency info. Great idea!!

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
Ah, I get it -- all the electronics are in the little part that slides, right?  The rest of the card is just plastic.

Think of all the things you could hide inside that much plastic...  [cue Mission Impossible theme] 8)

I don't have a strong preference, but I'd lean towards the 2mm version just because it's thinner.  And if the purchaser wanted it to be smaller, it could probably just be cut it down to 1"x2" with strong scissors.

Add the website address to the design?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
Ah, I get it -- all the electronics are in the little part that slides, right?  The rest of the card is just plastic.

Think of all the things you could hide inside that much plastic...  [cue Mission Impossible theme] 8)

I don't have a strong preference, but I'd lean towards the 2mm version just because it's thinner.  And if the purchaser wanted it to be smaller, it could probably just be cut it down to 1"x2" with strong scissors.

Add the website address to the design?

Yeah, it could be cut down, but I'm not sure I'd understand why somebody would want to do that.  But if for whatever reason, they really wanted to, yes, they could.

The sliders (I found this out this morning) are NOT water resistant.  So we won't be getting those.  Only the removable ones (option "A") and the "flip" version (option "B") are water resistant.  The price will be the same regardless of which we choose.

I don't give out supplier info unless it's absolutely necessary.  Is there a reason that you want it?  Wanting to see the card in action and from diff angles?

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
I don't give out supplier info unless it's absolutely necessary.  Is there a reason that you want it?  Wanting to see the card in action and from diff angles?

No, I meant your graphic design doesn't include www.thesurvivalpodcast.com.

You can keep your secrets secret. ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
*snort*  :D  I read "And the web address to the design?"

I get it now.  I'll add the web address to the back of the card, if that's okay with y'all.  :)

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Hey, if you're going to be printing on both sides of the cards, what about adding some printed emergency data?  Things like the little water-purification table Archer has in his sig.

And other useful info you might need in an emergency (I'll have to think about what that might include).

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
Hey, if you're going to be printing on both sides of the cards, what about adding some printed emergency data?  Things like the little water-purification table Archer has in his sig.

And other useful info you might need in an emergency (I'll have to think about what that might include).

AWESOME idea.  I added the water chart, but there's room for a lot more.  You'll probably need a magnifying glass to see it all properly, but it'll be there.  What else ought I add on there?

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »
I like the "A" option because many usb slot don't have the space around them for a bulky card hanging on and still allow the card to be inserted.

Okay we have two options on the cards.  We can either get....

A) 3mm thick, usb drive is fully removable.

B) 2mm thick, usb drive remains attached to the card at all times.

A normal credit card is ABOUT 1 mm thick.  So the second option is about twice as thick as a credit card.  The first option is about 3 times as thick as a credit card.

I usually keep 3 or 4 cards in each slot in my wallet.  So I guess this means that one of these will take up 1/2 to 3/4 of a slot in my wallet.

My wallet has only 3 cards total and this probably won't be moving in with them for multiple reasons(not that I'm not going to get a couple, just not for wallet carry). That said, this gives me another product idea. Off to the other idea thread....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:29:21 AM by bartsdad »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 07:12:01 AM »
Hmmmm... Good to know.  *weighing possibilities*

Offline Old Gnome

• Prepper
    • Just An Old Gnome
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
I completely understand the "will the card survive the way I treat my wallet?" question. For that reason, I finally changed wallets to something that fits in my front pocket. Not I need to make sure my *magnetic* money clip is in the *other* pocket.....

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
What else ought I add on there?

Maybe a Morse code chart or knot tying guide for a couple useful knots like the transom or centauri knots.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »
or knot tying guide for a couple useful knots like the transom or centauri knots.

Actually, I'm sure there are better knots for survival. You experts out there can help with this  ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »

I feel honored!

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:10 AM »
How about the ant not the grasshopper, slogan.  Love it.

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
This idea definately has merit!

Offline BigKid

• Prepper
    • REB3 Web Development
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
this is an awesome idea.  I have a couple of questions:

1. do they come with preloaded software for password protection/ecryption?  There is going to be a lot of very sensitive information on these things.  I'd hate for my wallet to get lost or stolen and I've given the theif or stranger access to all of my very personal info.
2. it may just be my opinion, but I'd vote for there to not be "Emergency Data Information" for the reasons stated above.  Perhaps just I.C.E. with the TSP logo on the front and everything that everyone else has been talking about on the back?  That way if it does end up in the wrong hands, it's not immediately noticable that it has personal data on it.

I'd buy at least 2, one for me and one for my girlfriend.  She keeps one very similar on her keychain and it works well but takes a huge beating.  It's been working for 2 years now but I am always concerned it wont work when she needs it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
We SORT OF scrapped this idea because of the price.  We're working on a different sort of USB drive, but we're still trying to get a quote.  I'll work on this tonight/tomorrow.

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
How about a variation of this idea..  How anout a USP SAK??
It would go great with the OHTs

Take a look!
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Category.aspx?category=victorinox+flash&