Author Topic: I need a deer rifle  (Read 6559 times)

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
I need a deer rifle
« on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »
So it looks like I'm going to have the opportunity to do some deer hunting this fall. I haven't been since I was a kid and I don't have a rifle. I'd like to get a used gun that is quality at a cheap price. I'll be perusing the pawn shops keeping my eyes open for a deal. Any suggestions on make and models I should jump on if I have the chance?  I'm not picky about caliber, as long as it's recognized as resonable for deer. This is for South Texas. Thanks for the advice.

devildoc

Re: I need a deer rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:46:25 AM »
30-06 or a 308 are best , a well sighted scope will be in order....

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Both great rounds with more than enough power.  I'm not asking about calibers though, .243, .270, 30-06, .308 will all kill a deer.  I was wondering more along the lines of a particular brands/models that are know for their quality even if used.  I'll take a .270 over 30-06 if the price is right on a quality used rifle. 

Offline Matt_MG

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
If you can look at it in person the Marlin XS7 / XL7 rifles are inexpensive and generally shoot 1MOA or better.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »
Savage and Remington would be my top two for bolt guns. Marlin / Winchester for lever guns.

Walmart has inexpensive deer guns here - Mossberg / Rem 770 / Savage - 270 or 30-06 with cheap scopes for under $450

Offline Rick9Plus

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
I just stared deer hunting a couple of years ago. Didn't want to spend much money on a rifle in case I didn't like hunting. So I bought a $99 Mosin Nagant 91/30, installed a $40 scope, bought 20 rounds of ammo (7.62x54R... approximately .308) for $16 and have brought down two nice whitetails in the past two years. Both shots at under 100 yards.

Spend whatever you want on a rifle. Feel good about it. But there is no need to spend a lot on a rifle to put venison in your freezer.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
You could get a Mosin Nagant for $100 if you want cheap and can run Irons well.  Otherwise, a Savage or Stevens in .270 Win can be had for a couple hundred and is my first choice for a great deer rifle in a great deer caliber.

Recommendation #2 would be a Marlin 336 lever action in .30-30.  Can be had for $300 easily in my area.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
What action do you want?
For a cheap semi I liked my remington 742, however due to poor design it has pretty much destoried itself.  I guess the newer one don't do that.  $300 with a scope, just don't used the mags that lock the bolt back.

Cheap bolt, there are a million to choose from. Two I would not recomend are the Remington 770 and the 710.  I hear a lot of good things about the Howa 1500 (Weatherby Vanguard) and they are around $400 new.  Just a plain old 700 really can't be beat either.

Lever, well a Winchester 88 in .308.... C'mon it is a lever with a mag. They are kinda pricy though.  I did see a beat up 336 for $250 in the gun shop the other day.

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
Since I'm planning on buying used I'm not being picky about caliber or action.  Although I would lean towards bolt action, then lever, then semi.  Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it.

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
I would not discount buying new. You can get a Stevens 200 (manufactured by Savage) for less than $400 with a scope. This is less than many used rifles. You also might want to look at a H&R Handi-Rifle. If I remember correctly, you can get one with scope for $300 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

If you are good with iron sights, and you can handle the recoil, you can get a Mosin Nagant surplus rifle with a case of ammo for less than $250.

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
Savage 110's are fairly common and a fantastic value - accurate, great trigger, maybe a little clunky looking but that's subjective.  Regarding calibers on a tight budget, take a look at ammo prices before purchasing a rifle.  Just as an example; you can get a box of Federal Premium Vital Shok ammo from Cabelas for $33.99 while the same brand of ammo for .338 Remington Mag runs $74.99.  Now, you're a whole lot more likely to find an inexpensive firearm in 30.06 or .270 or .308 than .338 Remington Mag, but there are plenty of unusual caliber rifles out there that might cause you problems.  Saving $50 on a rifle can quickly be eaten up by being stuck with expensive or hard to find ammuntion. 
You might consider buying a modern type inline muzzleloader - they are out there dirt cheap (often under $100) at pawn stores.  They have the advantage of being legal for both muzzleloading and regular firearms season (at least here in MO, YMMV)  so you have a longer period to fill your tag or tags.  They are plenty accurate for deer within 100 yards and more with a quality gun and practice.  Since Knight went out of business a year or two back, they tend to be a great value in what used to be high-end muzzleloaders.  Thompson is another great brand.  There are several other brands out there, just do a little research before you buy.  Bring along a small bright light and look down the barrel of any used muzzleloader, though, and see if the previous owner kept it clean or brought it in with a season's worth of accumulated junk.  Chances are excellent that the pawn store didn't bother to clean it so what you see with that glance can tell you a lot of how the rifle was treated. Personally, I'd pass on any that were full of gunk, but you might be able to use it to negotiate a lower price if you were willing to take the risk. 

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
I was definitely planning on sticking with the common calibers to avoid the long term expense of ammo.  I hadn't thought about a muzzle loader though, I'll have to look into that.  On a side note, I have an NEF 20 gauge single shot that I could always shoot slugs out of if I had too.  It isn't set up for a scope though.  Does anyone know of an easy way to mount a scope?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
I was definitely planning on sticking with the common calibers to avoid the long term expense of ammo.  I hadn't thought about a muzzle loader though, I'll have to look into that.  On a side note, I have an NEF 20 gauge single shot that I could always shoot slugs out of if I had too.  It isn't set up for a scope though.  Does anyone know of an easy way to mount a scope?

Smooth bore 20ga is only going to be lethal /accurate on deer out to about 100yds anyway. Take it to the range and see how it patterns at 75 - 100yds. Likely don't even need a scope. Could also look into getting a rifled shotgun barrel from H&R for the gun, which may come tapped for a scope.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »
Personally, I'm a Mosin fan.  Inexpensive, rock-solid, and very accurate.  Plenty of surplus ammo available for storing and practicing.

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Savage just released a new entry level rifle - the Savage Edge.  These come with a pre-mounted and pre-sighted scope and can be had for under $300 on Gun Broker.  I think this will be way I go.  The online reviews have been excellent.