Author Topic: Food Grade Plastic Bag Source?  (Read 11418 times)

Offline wanamaker

• Prepper
Food Grade Plastic Bag Source?
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:17 PM »
Well, after contacting many companies that sell all kinds of plastic bags, I cannot find one that sells a 2 gallon food grade plastic bag.  I don't need a fancy ziploc or any closure for that matter.  I just plan to use them in gallon cans to store dry goods.  Any help would be appreciated!

Offline wanamaker

• Prepper
Re: Food Grade Plastic Bag Source?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »
Wow. Nobody has a bag resource?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:03:59 AM »
Sorry... I've not looked for that large a plastic bag like you are describing. I have 1 gallon bags that come with twist ties that I use for bread and other simple things. They are readily available at the grocery store. The only 2 gallon bags I have are the ziploc type. Not what you are looking for... I'd imagine some of the smaller trash bags would be the right size, but I'm not sure they would be food grade, so I'm stumped.

Offline wanamaker

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the effort.  I have used gallon ziploc bags but I don't really need the ziploc part and since I am using gallon paint cans for storage the gallon ziploc bags don't allow me to actually fill the entire can with food.  I'll just keep searching for a resource and post it if I ever find one.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Don't know about where you're from, but around here Ziplock actually sells huge storage bags that have the zippers on top.  They're meant to hold blankets or out of season clothes.

Offline wanamaker

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
Well, after contacting many companies that sell all kinds of plastic bags, I cannot find one that sells a 2 gallon food grade plastic bag.  I don't need a fancy ziploc or any closure for that matter.  I just plan to use them in gallon cans to store dry goods.  Any help would be appreciated!

Finally, for all those interested in a food grade plastic bag resource, I located a great source at www.usplastic.com
While you can't purchase small quantities, (I purchased 1000 bags) for just a little over $100, their selection is great and they offer gusseted bags that fit well into a gallon paint can.  I ordered a 3 mil thick 8"x15" bag number 048872.  They also have this bag in a 2 mil thickness at a slightly lesser cost.  I am using O2 absorbers in my bags with a simple twist tie closure.  One nice thing about this size is that there is plenty of bag to twist close and tuck into the can once the bag is full. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:53:41 AM »
Thanks for the information, wanamaker! You've probably saved someone else the search you had to make! +1

Offline vulture774

• Prepper
    • Tom's Topics
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
These may work as well and are less expensive, FDA approved too:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=32800&catid=859

Offline widewoman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »
hefty makes a 2 gallon twist closure bags you have to find them online most likely though.  They also make a jumbo 2.5 zip closure, but if you're like me you don't want the zip closure for storing food, you want to get as much air out of the bag and get the bag to conform as closely to what you're storing as possible, I do this by sucking the air out and twisting the bag and tie.  I store bread in a 2 gallon bag.  I don't know how heavy this bag is as I've not yet bought it, just found it today online at:  http://www.hefty.com/Store/   and www.mybrands.com.  Unfortunately you do have to buy more than you may want to buy at these places, but it's better than not at all.  You have to buy $45 worth of product at the hefty store, but you can buy 4 pkgs of 20 bags for $2.35 I believe at my brands, amazon wants $9.99 for one package of 20 bags of the same thing.   If you've not found anything by now, might want to try one of these.  Good luck!

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
Here are some gusseted bags (1 to 6mil) that meet FDA ad USDA specifications.   They have many other bags and storage items.   I found the site from a TSP advertisement.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Uline carries poly bags in may thicknesses and food grade. Take a look.
http://www.uline.com/Grp_3/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
I just realised I forgot to post the link.   :o  :banghead:   :crazy:  http://www.uline.com/Grp_4/Poly-Bags-Gusseted

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
Back when I was putting wheat and beans in 5 gal. buckets, I needed food grade bags. I was also having trouble with a source. Then I realized that the cooks at the high school where I taught were putting sheets of baked bisquits in plastic. They ordered a box for me. I think they were about $30.00. Not very thick, but they made good bucket liners. Maybe a bakery or food service supply could help?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:05 AM »
turkey roasting bags?

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Here are a whole bunch of different sized food grade plastic bags.   

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/335/plastic-food-bags.html