Author Topic: Battery Configurations  (Read 7849 times)

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
Battery Configurations
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »
Connecting multiple batteries together.
Parallel

Series

Parallel Series

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Battery Configurations
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »
Can you explain the difference between why you would want them wired in parallel as opposed to in series?  I'm not exactly up to speed when it comes to the application of this.

What would the different wiring schemes be used for, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »
Parallel = is still 12 volts just high amps
Series = 24 volts, eack time you connect a battery in series it will increse the voltage not to about the amps

thats what i was told several years ago.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »
Isn't 24 volt what the military uses for their vehicles?  If so, are they easily converted to 12 volt?

For instance, I wouldn't want to wire them in series (24 volts) in my Cherokee, correct?  The car's electrical components need to be compatible with the battery set up right?  I know that seems like a silly question, but I've always wondered about what advantages there might be in having a vehicle on 24 volts, as opposed to a 12 volt system, or if there are any benefits one way or the other.

The other reason I ask is because I've always wanted to buy either an old surplus Humvee or an old army surplus blazer & from what I understand they are 24 volt system vehicles.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »
i think so, but not 100% sure. i can remmber the town i work for had a 4x4 pick-up they got that was mil-spec and when the electrical messed uop they sent it out to get fixed.and, about the Cherokee correct that would be bad.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
The Humvees I have been in are 24 V.
 If you wanted to beef up the Cherokee you would want to install another 12 V parallel.   
wcff3431 is right on the money with the description of the differences.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
If you note, the diagrams have a mix of 12 volt and 6 volt batteries.

Gotta watch the voltages of the batteries when you are doing this stuff.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
Series = DOUBLE original voltage when using 2 batteries
Parallel = same voltage no matter how many are used.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
Series = DOUBLE original voltage when using 2 batteries
Parallel = same voltage no matter how many are used.
Gotcha.

Thanks y'all.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »
Parallel increases AMPERAGE which basically increases run time.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »

This is also handy info if creating a home battery bank for power storage or off grid systems.  My understanding is many wind generators produce more efficiently at higher voltages (36-48 volts or higher) which would kill a single 12V battery, but not several wired in series. 

For long term usage, it is good to have several batteries in parrellel so the number of amps available is high.  Similar to adding an extra tank of fuel in a car, it goes further.

To get the best of both worlds, the voltage is upped by wiring several batteries in series.  Each series connected battery "unit" can then be connected in parrellel with others for extended storage and usage.

All this could be done with a conversion of energy, but conversions by definition use some of the energy that is being stored offsetting their efficiency.

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
Can you explain the difference between why you would want them wired in parallel as opposed to in series?  I'm not exactly up to speed when it comes to the application of this.

Thanks in advance.

Wiring batteries in parallel or series is needed to achieve proper voltage and current for an electrical circuit. To understand electricity, picture a garden hose. The pressure of the water would be the voltage, while the amount of water is the current. Depending on the application, the circuit will need to have certain requirements met.

A common upgrade in off road vehicles is the addition of a second battery wired in parallel. This basically gives the added benefit of have more amps and longer run times. Voltage remains at 12. 24 volts are common in industrial or military applications such as cranes and trucks. Running 24v lights at 12v is going to make them half as bright, but last twice as long. The same is true in reverse.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask

Allerion

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
12 (or 12.6) volt configurations are the most useful due to availability of car/truck accessories.  All you need is an invertor and a pile of 12v car batteries (deep cycles are better for running them down and rechargng) and you have the basics to power a home.  Additionally all you need is a vehicle alternator and voltage regulator and you have the basics to build a windmill or even hook a bicycle up to provide emergency power or recharge the setup.  I would recommend that just about everybody have a decent-sized invertor in their "survival vehicle" (hopefully a diesel) as for as little as $20 you effectively convert your vehicle into a generator capable of running laptops and some lights.  For about $100-$300 you can pull enough power from an invertor in a vehicle to power refridgerators and electric stoves or heaters.  It is horribly inefficient, but it is an extremely cheap power solution just to keep your food from going bad or for emergency heat for one small room in a home.  Just a thought.  Next time the power is out for a few days and people are beating each other up for the last overpriced generator at Lowes, swing by a truckstop and pick up an inverter instead. :)  Best buy and Radio Shack sell these too but they tend to be way overpriced.  Just make sure your inverter is powerful enough to power the things you need powered in an emergency and consider the vehicle's alternator output as well.  Higher performance alternators are widely available and always will be as long as people still put billion candlepower lights and thousand watt stereos in their vehicles. :)

A note on batteries:  They are extremely temperature sensiive both in terms of their output and how easily they accept a charge when drained.  This means in cold weather climates you have to consider location both to keep them warm and at the same time provide ventilation.  Just a thought before you put a battery bank in an unheated shed or cold garage.

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
Parallel increases AMPERAGE which basically increases run time.

Not exactly. It actually decreases the amperage drawn from each battery, but the sum current going through the load remains the same. BTW, don't hook batteries of different voltages in parallel, or you'll end up discharging the higher voltage battery into the lower voltage one.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
I would recommend that just about everybody have a decent-sized invertor in their "survival vehicle" (hopefully a diesel) as for as little as $20 you effectively convert your vehicle into a generator capable of running laptops and some lights.  For about $100-$300 you can pull enough power from an invertor in a vehicle to power refridgerators and electric stoves or heaters. 

Great idea esp. with gas furnace but no electricity to power the blower motor!

A couple notes of caution:

1.  Secure a fuel source before hand.  By experience, during the last ice storm, my town ran out of fuel in the few open stations and the roads were too icy to get tankers in for several days.  We had quite a few people with nice generators and no fuel.  Of course most on this board probably already do so.

2.  To run a higher wattage appliance like a hotplate will require a high output alternator, proper engine RPM for the output, and an inverter direct wired to battery.  The cig. lighter willl short with bad repercussions at the required amperages.

3.  I'm wary of running electronics (anything more sophisticated than a resistive element) with invertor or generator power.  Many times it is okay, but there is a sig. risk of failure especially with TV's and computers. 

I've also seen emergency welders wired from alternators on off road rigs.  I don't have one yet, but it is on the list aftter my york on board air compressor.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
Well OK so what I should have said is that it increases the Available Amperage.
This should clarify it all.
http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »
For anyone looking for more information on 12v systems, take a look at The 12 volt Side of Life.  Lots of great information.