Author Topic: Save money by not taking their word  (Read 1885 times)

Offline baygal

• Survivor
Save money by not taking their word
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
Okay - I had to post something about this. I see questions on here all the time about how to save money, and one of the most overlooked ways to save money is to know your alternatives. I mean, information that is widely available. Research ALL options and make a good decision. I'll give an example from today. I went to the post office to send a package. I had already researched on the USPS website about the best way to send the item (a book). After putting in all the data on the website, I learned that the cheapest way to send the book was through media mail. In case you don't know, postal workers won't automatically tell you (usually) which services will save you money. I asked the clerk which service was cheapest, and he told me that first class is always cheapest if the weight is . . . blah, blah, blah. I asked him to verify. I was right; media mail was the best way to send the book. So, don't take an employee's word for it. Check for yourself and make SURE you are getting the best price for everything (if you care about saving money, that is). Employees aren't always fully trained or they might just be too lazy to check; they would rather depend on their memory. Don't trust them to tell you what your alternatives are. I hope this helps someone out.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Save money by not taking their word
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
Very good advice.

Never trust the other guy's math, either. It's amazing how many people can total up a list of expenses and have it come out higher than the actual amount.

Offline r00tbeer

• Prepper
  • root with zeroes
    • Cashdollar Automation
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:15:35 AM »
I used to use media mail for selling things through amazon and ebay, but some customers were complaining that it was too slow... like two weeks in some cases.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
I used to use media mail for selling things through amazon and ebay, but some customers were complaining that it was too slow... like two weeks in some cases.

The book I sent was for a Swaptree trade, so two weeks really isn't unreasonable if it comes to that. The important thing is I sent it off right away. "Cheap" was key in my situation.