Author Topic: Cabin Progression  (Read 71676 times)

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Cabin Progression
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »
I decided to break this out of my permaculture thread.

Here's the progression so far.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Cabin Progression
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »
Cool. How remote is that?
How far do you have to go to get materials?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
Cool. How remote is that?
How far do you have to go to get materials?

20 minutes or so away from a city with a population of about 15k (where I get my materials that aren't reclaimed).  About 15 miles or so outside city limits.  About 1.5 hours from a city of about 25k.

Its about 500 feet off of a country two-lane road.  We couldn't drive back in the springtime as I had the road dug out and leveled (a little bit of rock too) in the winter.  It is now bone dry and easy to drive even without ever putting the Dodge into four wheel.

J

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
   Very cool pics.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
Nice, looking good. Any plans to dig in a root cellar under that thing?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
What kind of foundation is that, and how did you do it?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

@mxitman, the thought did cross my mind.  I wanted the block walls two high but my dad absolutely insisted on 3 high since I'm going to make him plumb it!  There is a little runoff area to the right, I may build a small concrete structure and use it for root cellar/storm cellar.  I would really love to have one directly under the house, just not sure how.  If you have any ideas please let me know.  The design is in a state of flux at the moment.

@chris, we dug a 2 foot deep perimeter footer, put stakes in, laser leveled them and then had concrete hauled about 1/4 mile back the road in a bobcat and dumped in little by little.  Then we built corner walls and supporting piers.  It probably looks like the blocks stack on dirt but that's just the runoff.  All in all, its a very stable foundation but its total overkill, I blew a lot of money there I didn't need to.  The original plan was a full block wall but jeesh that's expensive.  If I'd known what I know now, I'd have brought a tractor in and drilled holes, made piers out of sonotube and concrete and put my timbers on those.  It would have saved me about 1k.   :(

J

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
@chris, we dug a 2 foot deep perimeter footer, put stakes in, laser leveled them and then had concrete hauled about 1/4 mile back the road in a bobcat and dumped in little by little.  Then we built corner walls and supporting piers. 

Thanks!

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »
Ya, not sure how much fun it would be to dig under that now. Are you planning on filling in the spaces between the blocks to keep critters out?...

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Ya, not sure how much fun it would be to dig under that now. Are you planning on filling in the spaces between the blocks to keep critters out?...

Probably eventually.  I kind of like it open.  Brown recluses are bad in the area but they like an enclosed crawl space.  Haven't really thought past that.

And you are welcome Chris.

J

Offline steel

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
What are the dimensions on the cabin gonna be?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »
What are the dimensions on the cabin gonna be?

Overall its going to be 16x20 with a 4x16 foot porch facing the lake.  There will be a 4x8 bathroom, a 12x8 bedroom and a 12x16 area for kitchen/living area downstairs.  Upstairs will be a 8x16 sleeping area over the two rooms and a 4x16 storage area over the porch.  The roof will be done on a 12:12 pitch meaning very steep, basically 45 degrees.  The doors and windows are in line to accommodate airflow.  The long walls point north and south for passive solar.  I hope to put a greenhouse on the south and possible west walls.

J

Offline calicojack

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
i'm doing an 8x10 shed. very interested in seeing how you do your roof construction. it's the only part that has me stumped

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
good work.  I recently built a new 8x8 wellhouse at the BOL and learned a lot in the process. 

I really learned i can trust my eye more than I thought when it comes to level and square.  Won several 25 cent side bets with my FIL on it lol.

like chris i was wondering about that foundation.  the good news is you can add 4 more stories if you need to.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »
i'm doing an 8x10 shed. very interested in seeing how you do your roof construction. it's the only part that has me stumped

I am too!  LOL.  I sometimes just figure it out once I get there, then I call my dad and make sure what I got figured out is right!  LOL

like chris i was wondering about that foundation.  the good news is you can add 4 more stories if you need to.

:D

J

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
Very nice

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:09 AM »
For the roof you just need to dust off your old geometry book and remember whether you are measuring on the long or short edge of the rafter when doing your calculations.  
I recommend you check this at least twice before you make any cuts; I know cuz this killed me on a long gone play house roof years ago.

for my well house things worked out better; after verifying, I set a jig and made all the cuts at once.  shazam they lined up!

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »
Thanks Remman.

Cohutt--that's a nice shed.  I agree with you that when cutting trusses, you have to jig them.

Mine obviously will differ from yours a bit.  Mine will have a ridge beam due to the loft being living area.  It will be joined with a few kickers at the ends.  Also I have to account for the overhang so I will be cutting in v-notches.

J

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
Well this weekend I went and purchased the wood for the rafters, the loft floors, the porch and the ridge beams. 

All the downstairs walls are framed.  Here is the view out the front toward the lake.  The narrow window was specifically framed for one I bought off craigslist.  I found an Andersen for 20 bucks--brand new. 

Here's me testing the durability of the loft floor.

Here's the final result.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
With fall weather coming it wont be so HOT and you should be able to make alot of progress. That's what Im shooting for at my BOL at least.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
Exactly my thoughts.  I don't want to be hanging off of a 12:12 pitch roof trying to nail down scalding hot metal roofing.

J

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
That's a good thing to avoid lol.....

I know.-I did it once this summer already, literally, a 45 degree pitched 5v metal roof in July in Georgia. ( I think I got sunburned under my chin. )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:03:47 PM by KYdoomer »

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
I knew it was bound to happen, totally hit the wrong button instead of the quote button.  Sorry I boogered up your post.

My reply was going to be "OUCH!!!".

J

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 11:44:44 PM »
Man that is going to be nice, keep the pics flowing.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:23 AM »
I knew it was bound to happen, totally hit the wrong button instead of the quote button.  Sorry I boogered up your post.

My reply was going to be "OUCH!!!".

J

No problem.  I've done worse to my own lol.

This was the roof on the day I was sweating over the "installation", one section at a time.  The greasy marks on the metal that look like crisco are the body fat broiled out of my scrawny 50 year old hide during installation.   (or maybe just oily sweat lol)

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 06:01:02 AM »
Congrats on the build in progress.  Pics are great. Keep them coming.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
Congrats on the build in progress.  Pics are great. Keep them coming.

Thanks!

@Cohutt--I bet you felt like you were on a skillet!

J

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
What I got done this weekend...

Got about 75% of the OSB sheathing on. 
Got the first of two ridge beams up and secured with a few rafters.
Bought two apple trees (way out of planting season I know) and planted them ($15 bucks each!) in a row with my other two apple trees.  I cleared out a few dozen cedars and pines.  I kept the cedars for posts and kept the pines for cordwood. 
Cut down a large cedar (about 2 feet in diameter at the bottom), cut it to 17' and started delimbing, debarking and squaring it to use as a beam in my living area.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Cut down a large cedar (about 2 feet in diameter at the bottom), cut it to 17' and started delimbing, debarking and squaring it to use as a beam in my living area.

KYdoomer - I think this is a great project and I hope to one day follow in your footsteps.  Your last post raised a question, though - I thought when framing one needed to either stay with dried lumber (what you get from the home stores/most lumber yards) or green lumber (what you get straight from a sawmill or make yourself as you did with the cedar tree).  I thought the logic behind this was the differential rates of shrinkage as the green lumber dried out compared to the already dried lumber.  Over the size spans you're building it may not matter, but the question came to mind none the less.

Enjoying the pictures of your progress - thanks for sharing!
-Nadir

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »

Nadir

Thanks for the comments.  I think everyone can do this if I can (and probably a lot better!).  I had to go back and read my post and sure enough I mispoke. 

I cut the tree and started debarking it to dry.  I didn't actually install it yet.  That probably won't happen until just before the roofing which will happen later this fall or early winter.  It isn't exactly enough time for it to dry like I'd like but I wanted it to dry some.  I actually cut it to about 17.5'+ but I only need about 16'.  Shrinkage rate with kiln dried (which I won't be doing and is more severe calculates to about an 8" shrinkage.  I'll probably get it debarked and then place it and let it dry before I bolt it into place. I've got a lot of tolerance built in.  I hope I don't need it!

The beam isn't really needed for much support but I have some ideas involving cargo netting and extra sleeping space plus you should see the white and purple contrast of this beam so far.  It's looking really sweet.

But in other words you are absolutely right, thanks for looking out!

J