Author Topic: lanterns - fuel  (Read 11885 times)

Offline calicojack

• Prepper
lanterns - fuel
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
Recently i've been reading through some of the lantern threads. The other day I was at academy sports and saw a duel fuel lantern that used both the colman fuel and/or unleaded gas. I've also read about oil lamps, lamps that can run on lard, etc. so my question is this:

which fuel gives the best burn time and light out put for the money?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: lanterns - fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »
Don't know about the burn times, but if you are talking about storage, I'd go with the Coleman fuel.  Keep it in the original container and there is virtually no end of life to that white gas.

I've found that oil lamps don't really give all that much light.  But oil for burning in a lamp is relatively easy and safe to keep.  It also gives a nice glow, not the harsh white light of a white gas or propane lantern.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »
 I agree with Fritz!!! Coleman fuel works best for me also, I have 80 gallons stored and some of it is 20 years old and burns like the day it was made. I also think it gives off the brightest light. Just remember to buy extra mantles if that is the way you go.

Offline calicojack

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
so will coleman fuel work in any latern? this is the one i was looking at picking up.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
I have a Coleman duel fuel stove.  It will use gas or Coleman fuel (white gas).  They both work weel, but as stated above I would go with the Coleman fuel for storage.

as far as oil lamps, they cam be used with all kinds of oil.  Lard can be used it it is kept hot enough to keep it liquid.  It it better suited to candles IMHO, but its not the best at that either, because it is rather loose when solid.  Beef tallow works way better

The best fuel for oil lamps is liquid paraffin.  It does not smoke and does not have a powerful smell.  That is not the case with most oils

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »
That lantern you linked to won't use Coleman fuel.  That's an oil only thing.

Offline calicojack

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »
so what i'm seeing is to get a lantern that uses coleman fuel the minimum i'm going to end up spending is about $50 new. is that about right or am i missing some place that has a hell of a deal?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Look at garage sales first and I'll bet you can find one for $5.

Offline andrebeergog

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
I have purchased 2 of the Coleman Duel Fuel lanterns on Craigslist for under 20 bucks a piece. Just keep an eye out and they will pop up. Both of mine were pretty much brand new.  Keep a bunch of extra mantels and watch Fred Meyer sales for the Coleman lantern pump repair kits.  I like to have 2 on hand.  You can find them for 3-4 bucks on sale usually at the end of camping season.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
Here is a bit of research I did on the Hurricane Oil Lamps and Oil.  These are the typical style bought at WalMart.

Hurricane Oil Lamp – Burn Ratio
Read and follow all safety instructions that the lamp and lamp oil manufacturers apply to your specific lamp.

Materials:
Lamp Oil (Lamplight Farms - Class III)
   http://www.lamplight.com/Consumer/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KnowledgeID=2164
   Large Hurricane Lamp with Globe – Holds 4 cups or 32 ounces of lamp oil safely.
(1 cup = 8 ounces)
   One Inch Width Wick in Lamp
   Flame Height – Approximately One Half Inch (See safety precautions on above site.)

Results:
Total Amount of Oil Consumed in 25 Hours:
2 Cups or 16 Ounces (Actually slightly less than 2 cups was burned.)
The results were very close to the manufacturer’s site.
My lamp holds 32 ounces safely and should burn 50 hours.  A 64 ounce bottle will give me 100 hours minimum.  A gallon will burn 200 hours minimum.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:20:04 PM by Ditch »

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
Another smaller source of light are the little tea lite candles that sit in small metal cups.
These burn 4 hours if there is not a lot of air to flicker the flame.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
In Wylie TX...near me....a little gas station has a kerosene pump. So I buy my kerosene in 5 gallon jugs and use that in my lamps and lanterns

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Generally speaking Coleman fuel is the best overall fuel.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Recently i've been reading through some of the lantern threads. The other day I was at academy sports and saw a duel fuel lantern that used both the colman fuel and/or unleaded gas. I've also read about oil lamps, lamps that can run on lard, etc. so my question is this:

which fuel gives the best burn time and light out put for the money?

Are you sure it was unleaded gas and not "white gas"....BIG difference

Offline texasmufflerman

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
Are you sure it was unleaded gas and not "white gas"....BIG difference

Coleman Fuel (a.k.a. White Gas) and unleaded gasoline are the two fuels for the dual fuel appliances.

In Wylie TX...near me....a little gas station has a kerosene pump. So I buy my kerosene in 5 gallon jugs and use that in my lamps and lanterns

How much has kerosene cost lately at that gas station?  Just curious.  Thanks!

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »
Unleaded gas doesn't blow up?

I will try to get the price. I need to go back and fill up a can next week and i will post the price

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
Unleaded gas doesn't blow up?

As a liquid, no. As a vapor it can ignite in a flash, but so can white gas/coleman fuel and I'm not sure that is technically an explosion.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
No unleaded gas does not blow up in white gas lanterns.  There is some debate as to whether or not unleaded gas will cause fouling problems in white gas lanterns and stoves that are not duel fuel rated.  I have experienced some  limited fouling issues with the generators of white gas only appliances run on unleaded.

This technology is not new.  My Granddad has a WWII vintage GI issue single burner stove that was designed to run on leaded gasoline.  It functions very well even today on unleaded or white gas.

I forget the manufacturer, but there is a kerosene lantern that is designed to run on pressurized kerosene.  It will only run on kerosene but functions like a Coleman lantern.  You fill it up, pump it up, and light it off.  It gives superb light comparable to that of a Coleman type lantern.  It does run on only kerosene and does have the same hiss as a white gas lantern.  It is also horrendously expensive, IIRC.

Here in Lou., KY and the surrounding area, kerosene is running between $3.199 and $3.339 per gallon.

I can see a real benefit to having a duel fuel lantern and stove.  White gas does indeed keep nearly forever in an unopened container but cost is higher than gasoline.  Unleaded is cheaper and more readily available, but has a limited shelf life and is slightly more flammable than white gas.

FWIW, I have kerosene lamps, propane, duel fuel, and white gas only lanterns in my inventory.  I used to collect lanterns and oil lamps anyway and just can't pass up a lantern or lamp when it falls into my lap.  In fact, I have no less than 3 Coleman lanterns and one Sears white gas lantern right now that need rebuilding.  I purchased none of them.  Two were passed down to me.  One I got cleaning out a garage for a woman.  The most recent was given to me by the daughter of a deceased friend when I helped her clean out his house after his death.

I agree to watch Craigslist, flea markets, E-bay, and yard sales.  You can pick up some real bargains and get what you want if you have a little patience.

BTW, if you have a kerosene heater, I recommend having an oil lamp or 2 on hand.  You already keep fuel that will burn in it.  Might as well keep your options open for the $20 bucks or so it costs to buy 2 of the cheap, Made in China oil lamps.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:17 AM »
I don't know what the thought of having a kerosene lamp is better to me than a gas lamp. I will stick to kerosene

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
I don't blame you one bit.  It is cheaper as far as I can tell to use an oil lamp than one of the gas or propane lanterns.  I just happen to have what my wife calls "a lighting fetish."  I seem to have an inordinate number of lanterns and lamps of various fuel types, flashlights, hand torches (big flashlights), and candles.  I guess I just like having lots of options and lots of light.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:17 AM »
Ditto on the options OldManSchmidt.  You are so very right.  You never know what you will have at hand when there's a need.  We may not always be at home,
and substituting when away from home is a good thing to know how to do. 

Offline nghtwlf

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 12:28:32 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Coleman white gas  lanterns for camping but probably because that is what i have used my whole life.  For lightning purposes normal kerosene lamps just don't seem to give off as much light light if that is what you are after.  I have some experience with pressurized kerosene lamps and a will say the light they give off is impressive and not as harsh as a white gas lantern.  They are not that much more new but have the drawback of needing to be preheated, most are designed to use a small amount of alcohol for this purpose.  This may not be an issue but this seems to worry me a bit in cooler weather. 

If  you truly want multi fuel and are willing to spend the cash look into Petromax lanterns by a company called Britelyt.  They are pretty pricey as far as lanterns go($150+ new) but will burn just about anything of any quality.  I believe they sell these to military at a pretty good discount as i have heard of troops that have purchased these for use on deployment selling them used when they return for as much or more then they paid for them. the list of approved fuels from there website,  kerosene, diesel, gasoline, White Gas, Biodiesel, mineral spirits,paint thinner,charcoal lighter fluid, lamp oils,Coleman fuel,Jp8,Jp5,all Jp fuels, and Alcohol.  Basically if its a liquid and it burns you can run it through these lamps with out changing out any parts.  It will also runs these fuels mixed basically just dump in what you have and light it up.