Author Topic: drthumbs' Venom stove (pic heavy)  (Read 25945 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
drthumbs' Venom stove (pic heavy)
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »
I have been toying with alcohol stoves for many years now.  For the most part I have stuck to others of others. Wile the designs of others have influenced this one greatly, I am calling this my own.

It is a pressurized stove that does not need a pot stand. It has a large fuel capacity for a long burn time but can be adjusted by simply using less full. It is more durable than most stoves if its type.

It is heavier and larger than a lot of alcohol stove designs.

This is a tutorial on making one with items I had on hand, not with the best tools for the job. This is just to help show the ease in building.

I selected the aluminum bottle from a venom energy drink. Any aluminum bottle shout work with this design, but I prefer venom. These have thicker walls than any beverage container that I have found. This make for a heavier stove than others out there, but it is much more durable. These bottles also work great as fuel containers. I chose not to remove the paint.  I kinda like the way it looks with it, but simply sand it off if you wish.

The first thing is to get rid of the plastic ring around the neck.  A dremel make quick work of this, but working without one, this is the hardest part.  If you want a smaller stove, you can cut the neck off at the bottom of the plastic ring.

Cut the bottle in half with the top part a little longer.

I took my Leatherman's metal saw and cut flow ports to allow the fuel to pass from the fill chamber to the pressure chamber.

Invert the top and press into the bottom.  Being that it does have thicker walls, it is a little harder, but there is almost not risk of splitting out the side. Using a board will help give you more control and protect yourself.  Press till top is seated to the bottom. i used a board splint off the ambulance.

You cannot see it in the photos, but you will be able to see and feel where the shoulder of the top ans pressed out on the bottom.  Move up about 1/4 inch and mark.  Use tape or paper to mark a level line around the bottle at this point and trim to it as flat as possible.  A saw will work, but scissors are easier to work with.  The trauma shears I used made easy work of this.  I then used the file from my leatherman to smooth and flatten the rim.

Here you can see the inside with drain ports at the bottom

Wrap a piece of paper around the stove and mark the diameter. Decide the spacing you what for you jets and mark.  Reapply the paper and tape in place so the jets will about 1/4 inch below the shoulder mark. I had a EKG strip handy and it worked great as a template.  I place my jets at a 1 cm interval.

I want my jets small. I did not have any drills with me, but I did have some expired IV catheters.  I selected our smallest, 24 gauge, discarded the catheter and used the needle to drill.  The 24 gauge has an IO of 0.02 mm so that is about the size of the jets.

That's that. 

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: drthumbs' Venom stove (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
Testing.

Burn time can be adjusted with the volume of fuel used.  Maximum capability is 5 oz.  That is more than most alcohol stoves, but gives a good deal of versatility.

For this test I fill with 5 oz. and 2 cups of water

If you over fill, as the stove heats and primes and pressurizes, alcohol will sputter from the jets.  This is not a big problem, but it waste fuel and prolongs time till stove can be used.

This is a self priming stove. All you have to do is light the center reservoir. As it heats the alcohol vaporized and pressurizes the outside chamber. The jest will light of the flame from the center.  it will take a few moments for the flames from the jet to stabilize then you can place your pot on top. no post stand needed. I tend to prime externally by adding a little fuel around the base of the stove. Thought not needed it will prime the stove much faster.

Light center

prime externally

ready to use

Place stove on top

5 minutes 45 seconds to a rolling boil

25 minutes and still going strong

30 minutes and the jets are slowing down. at 33 minutes stove was out

Don't need 30 minutes of burn time, just add less fuel.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
Great post!!! 
After spending 5 days in the back country of Denali AK, I can see how something like this can be invaluable.  On my trip I did have a white gas stove to heat water and meals, something like what you have developed can be created with a simple energy drink can. 

One of the day hikes my g/f and I went on, was a thoroughly soaked to the bone trip.  We hiked up 1,500 feet of elevation in about a mile, it was raining and at the peak temp was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  If we had not been prepared to warm up afterwards, something like this would have done the job. Living in the city, we take for granted what a warm meal of cup a' can do for your physical (and mental) state. 

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
Awesome post!

I have been doing some experimentation with rocket stoves of different types - after spending countless hours on the interwebs and at REI/Campmor/Cabelas looking at commercial models - and hating that I was a slave to their fuel sources.

I may have to play with this one soon. Well, as soon as I can find my Dremel and denatured alcohol in the mess that is our new place post moving a week ago. Umm, perhaps finding the boxes with my blue jeans and shoes comes first - but soon I tell ya'!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
AWESOME.  I have 1 of these venom bottles at home.  I'll have to try this. 

+1, Great post.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:18:03 AM »
+1 on the post great work, I still have yet to create my own alcohol stove. I played with a friends penny stove that he made. I just have a question.

1) how stable is the platform? did it feel pretty stable with the pot on it or did you have to carefully adjust it just right? I was thinking of when you have to stir in the pot, like a stew something that would throw it off balance. when I was using my friends alcohol stove it was pretty precarious when doing anything other than boiling water.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
Researching other small stoves like this - one idea that I like was to make a wind screen / pot holder from a metal coffee can. The version I saw removed top and bottom of the can, punched holes around bottom of the can to allow some airflow. Then put a few holes around the top and slide a few pieces of straight coat hanger through to make a pot holder.

This is a nice version as it is a little bigger - while cool, the beer can version just seems so tiny as to be almost useless. Certainly a good alternative to the esbit / triox stoves - also, can use grain alcohol as fuel or beverage.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Thanks for looking and the comments everyone.

1) how stable is the platform? did it feel pretty stable with the pot on it or did you have to carefully adjust it just right?

It is pretty stable considering the fact that the base is smaller than the pot.  I take time to center the pot for better heat distribution, but it is not all that critical for balance.  If you are going to be string, you'll want to take positive control of the pot, but it is manageable.

...one idea that I like was to make a wind screen / pot holder from a metal coffee can...

A wind screen is a great addition to any alcohol stove. Wind can play havoc on them, and they also help focus the heat to the bottom of the pot. 

I like to take a soda can and cut the top and bottom off and cut down one side.  I take hole bunch for vent hole along the top and bottom and store  loosely rolled up.  This way it grips the bottom of the cooking pot.  with a pot of this size it will take 2

there is one rolled up in this pic.  I will see about posting a pic of one in use torrmrow

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »
Just winged one of these together - hardest part was drinking the Venom.... icky red bull tasting gunk. I could probably have one of these from empty can to lit stove in under 10 minutes now that I have made one.

I used a chop saw to cut the can in 1/2, dremel tool with cut off wheel to remove the plastic neck band and cut the grooves in the neck. Small piece of wood to press fit the halves together. Chop saw again to determine final height and give an even edge. Quick and dirty file job to clean up top edge. Used a 3/32 drill bit for one row of holes around the top edge. (would have preferred 2 rows of 1/16 holes, but that bit is broken)

First test, I had an old cafe bustelo coffee can - used the metal lid as a priming tray and put 2 cups of water in the can. Splash of denatured alcohol in the prime tray and a little less than 1/4 cup of DA in the stove. Lit the prime tray - vents lit off in about 20 seconds. Had a low boil in under 5 minutes.

Will certainly make a few more and tweak the stove a bit. This works great and is super simple. karma +1

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:38 PM »
I want one, how much?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
The crappy energy drink will cost you about $2.25.....

Seriously, this is super simple. Give it a shot.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
   I am really bad at that stuff, usually fix the car with a sledge.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 12:11:14 AM »
Joe, I am glad to here that you have thrown one together already. they really are pretty simple to make.

I hate the drink, but I know people that drink them, so I scavenge from them.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm not sure I understand how you are using the rolled up soda can...   ???

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »
they are wind screens.  I meant to have photos up of them in use, but it has not happened yet

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
I understood that you intended them to be wind screens, but I'll just wait on a photo... thousand words and all.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
Threw one of these together this evening. Kudos on a good write-up. The Venom can really is substantially better. The bottom can split a little but it's stable and works fine.

On a side note, the wife thinks I'm crazy. Two camp stoves and a kitchen at the farm, and I'm making an alcohol stove out of an aluminum can.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
On a side note, the wife thinks I'm crazy.

I think many of us here are in this boat. ;)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
  I am really bad at that stuff, usually fix the car with a sledge.

Glad to see Red Green on the forums. ;) Seriously Beetle, you can maintain a chainsaw, you can build one of these.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
Maybe its just late, but where does the water go? I don't understand how these stoves work. I thought you just poured alcohol in them. Also, where do you get and what is the fuel?

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:21 AM »
Water goes in small pot/cup on top of stove.

Alcohol goes right in the middle. The little notches allow fuel to get to outer chamber then heat pressurizes fuel coming out small holes.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:39:32 AM »
I have been making a few stoves lately and through trial and error have a few tips to share.

1.  If you have a big plumbing pipe cutter, it supposedly works great on this type of bottle, including the Bud ones available at ballparks.  I don't have one and use scissors.
2.  If you are going to push one piece into another piece, it greatly helps to polish the inside piece.  I use metal polish and fine steel wool, this polishes it to a near mirror finish and makes the process easier/safer and splits less cans.

There is an unlimited amount of information available on youtube and the project is very cheap.  I plan to make one for every car and 3-day kit due to the low weight and cost.

Nice work.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
+1 from me.  Nice!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »
Was at Kroger this past week - same basic bottle for $1 - Miller Lite Beer. 

I think this is a simpler design then I have seen elsewhere...
Good job.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
Was at Kroger this past week - same basic bottle for $1 - Miller Lite Beer. 

Have you compared the two side by side? I was coming back from the neighbors and found a Miller Lite bottle that looked the same. I picked it up and tried it, too thin. When I went looking for Venom specifically, the bottle was surprisingly thicker.

Offline CookingtoSurvive

• Prepper
    • Cooking to survive
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
+1 Awesome post! Thanks for the great idea. I am on my way out to purchase some venom energy drinks right now.

jakematic

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Great post! Saw something similar in Backwoods Home recently but these instructions are much better and now I understand how to make one. Thanks!

inbox485

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »
When you poke the final holes, do you poke through both layers or just the outer layer?

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feed back.  I am happy to hear so many of you are trying this thing out.

When you poke the final holes, do you poke through both layers or just the outer layer?

Drill the holes through the first layer only.

again, thanks for looking

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
Cool. Going to try and make one too.