Author Topic: Cold Steel Inferno Pepper Spray  (Read 8377 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Cold Steel Inferno Pepper Spray
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
So me and my partner did a review of Cold Steel's Inferno pepper spray for our website www.offdutyonline.com the other day.  This was the meanest most effective OC spray I have ever seen or heard about.

I have been sprayed with a few different sprays for law enforcement certifications and such, and all are effective at their particular task of deterring the attacks motives. However, this stuff appears to be totally debilitating for at least 30 minutes, if not longer.

I have been selling the stuff for almost a year now and have never heard of anyone talk about its true effectiveness. I was wondering if any of you have an opinion, experience, prior knowledge, ect.

I definitely respect spray as a deterrent simply from a law enforcement stand point, but this stuff may just be an acceptable self defense alternative when a firearm is not allowed. The review is on our site under demos and reviews.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Re: Cold Steel Inferno Pepper Spray
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:14:24 AM »
I guess no one has used this stuff...
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
Glad you found Inferno to be effective.  Sometimes its hard to get past the hype with Cold Steel.

I've purchased a couple canisters but haven't started carrying it yet.  Looks like its time to start.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
I haven't used this and didn't know a thing about it.  But I read your comments in the review and it sounds good.  And the price is right.  About $12.00. 

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
I got their proof DVD for free at a gun show. They do live demos on their employees and out of the 5 or 6 dudes they sprayed, all were out of the action almost immediately. You can tell that some of the foam units run out fairly quickly.

In the videos, you see guys shot right in the face. They immediately get cleaned off, buckets of water, then into shower. They may be aware they are on camera, but it is very clear that their eyes are just miserable.

I am thinking about getting one for my wife to keep in the car.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »
I highly recommend it. you guys have clear laws in WV too, that helps, we sold some over there last week.

"The Hen House"

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:44 AM »
I would like to hear about first hand experience with Inferno.  How much heat do they pack (Scoville Heat Units)?
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
Active Ingredients : 8% Oleoresin Capsicum, 2% Black Pepper.
2,000,000 Scoville Heat Unites (SHU)
Scoville Value : 160,000
Capsaicinoid Content: 1.00 %
CONTAINS NO CARCINOGENS OR ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL.

We have a review here

https://sites.google.com/site/offdutygear/OFF-DUTY/reviews/cold-steel-d-inferno-review.

I was also sprayed with it a few years back when it first came out and it nearly killed me. I have been hit with 2 other sprays (Sabre Red and Mace brand) and they are just no comparison in my opinion. If you had any questions give me a shout and I'd be happy to answer them.

"The Hen House"

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Have to check it out. I too have been sprayed many times by other brands. They were great for clearing out my sinuses. ;D
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
I always recommend a shot or two to co workers that say their heads are clogged up.
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »
I haven't taken a direct shot, but the blowback on this Fox Labs stuff wasn't very fun.

http://foxlabs.com/home.shtml

All Fox Premium Aerosol Defense Sprays™ use organic pepper resins that have at least a true 2,000,000 Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) rating. We were the first company to use resins with this intense rating in a 5% product and our formulas are still unsurpassed! In 1998, we became the first and only company offering a true 5.3 million SHU resin in a 2% solution. These formulas are legendary! Don’t take our word on it. Browse the Internet and see what people in general, and LE professionals specifically have to say. Additionally, the word ‘true’ is very important, because some companies have their own systems of heat measurement, or they are not even using organic resins, but rather something called PAVA, which is artificial OC, and not nearly as effective as the real stuff. What that means to you, specifically, is that they may say their sprays have the same intensity as FOX, but in reality they are far weaker, and less likely to afford you the same kind of results when you need them.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »
I'm a believer in Inferno. 

I had a mid-size canister explode in the car this last fall.  There was nothing visible in the air when I got in, but I couldn't figure out what the smell was until I started sneezing.  By then my face and throat felt like they were on fire, and my eyes were burning so bad I had to use the eyewash station for a good 10 minutes before I could see anything.  If it caused that much discomfort with exposure to an invisible vapor, I can't imagine getting hit with the actual liquid.

Cleaning the mess up was a pain, you almost need HazMat gear to do it right.  I couldn't smell it after a week, but every now and then I'll pick up a speck from somewhere in the car, rub my face and get that warm feeling all over again.

I've bought a bunch more, but make sure to store it better so another explosion won't disperse too far.  I've carried OC sprays in my car for years without any explosions, including other Inferno canisters, so I'm hoping this was just a freak event. 
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline Steelheart

• Prepper
  • Just making it all work, somehow...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
I gave some to a close friend for Xmas along with a training module (which was promptly used).  I've got 2 more sets on hand either for my use or as an emergency gift to someone.

The can didn't spray as far as I'd thought but it was nice to KNOW your effective distance.  This was the 1.3oz can.  I'm guessing the range was 5-6' before you'd have to start arcing it in.  The can was at room temp before we went out the front door (in MN in January) for the test.

I just might be grabbing one of those cans today as I've got 2 fingers in a split in my right hand.  And I'm no where close to as good as I should be at shooting left handed.

Steelheart
USCCA, NRA & GOA member    http://www.taurusarmed.net/  (full disclosure, I'm Staff)
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Offline plamya

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »
While working security, I used it and it shut a guy down for over two hours. Several gallons of cold water and he was still in pain. I unfortunately got some on my arm and it was like a bad sunburn for a few days, so I'm not sure how he fared. I have also used Fox and it is comparably as dreadful. If I had to choose which one to be hit with, I would just run like hell. One thing I have heard on some posts concerning Cold Steel, DO NOT EVER LEAVE IT IN A CAR. I have heard a few incidents of bursting cans.

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
2mil SHU should do the trick....  Generally ignore any  "%" listing as it is vague, SHU is a scientifically measured value.
Pretty much anything will hurt, kinda like saying getting shot with a 45 is worse than a 40, or a 9, or a 38spl, or 25ACP.... yer still shot!
Its not a death spray, it simply causes an inflamatory response that "discourages" further action by the subject.

OC cannister seals WILL fail if exposed to temp extremes and over time- venting inside a vehicle is a nightmare!
Anything listed "TaserSafe" generally will not have flamable propellant (alcohols)  so its not an accidental flamethrower
Best to decon yourself with warm water and baby shampoo- OC is an OIL based product that must be scrubbed away from the body.

Blowback and "collateral damage" are always an issue.  Foam/gel tends to limit this but its less effective in very cold climates.
Dont listen to the "they will scrape it off and throw it back at you" arguement- its still on their face and they cant see very well...
Stories about such are generally about inmates who get sprayed often & plan a counter-attack

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
This is going to sound horrid but I have been sprayed many times in military training
Have someone stand a few feet away from you and spray you. 

Have dawn dishsoap handy.. and dont take a shower until you have washed your face 10-15 times.  seriously you dont want pepper spray to get on the naughty bits.  It happened to my roomate in the Marines and he cried for an hour. 

Decontaminate.  take a water hose get on your knees and lean forward.  spray your face and hold your eyes open.  After a few minutes under the hose switching eyes then get the dawn out and go over your face a few times here.  The colder the water that you use to decontaminate the better off that you are.  It forces your pores closed and helps push the OC out of your skin.  Hot water opens the pores and allows it to spread.

The way it works is that it is a skin irritant.  if peppers burn your mouth this will hurt, but if peppers don't burn your mouth chances are it wont effect you as badly.  For instance I cannot eat spicy food when i got sprayed my knees buckled but i went 4 rounds with a professional boxer several times in training as a sparing partner.  I have a pretty decent pain tolerance, when I say I could not function for over an hour understand where I come from.  Everything your body does to stabilize the pain such as sweating causes it to spread and get into more pores. 

To recap
1)Get sprayed understand what the person is feeling.  Get sprayed often to build up a tolerance.  If you use it you have a good chance to get contaminated yourself.  understanding it and being able to function could mean life or death. 
2)I recommend building an obstacle course.  Climb over stuff attempt to do a few complex actions while under its effects.
3) decontaminate initially with cold water out of a water hose on your knees leaning forward so you don't get it over your body
4) dawn soap with the hose
5) dawn soap over a sink  when you think your completely decontaminated, wash your face 5 more times. 

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
Definitely helps to experience the pain of the spray!
But Id suggest baby shampoo instead of Dawn...
Getting it (the shampoo) into your eyes wouldnt be bad idea-
The irritating oil will be in there for sure!
Not sure how "gentle"  Dawn is on the eyes but baby shampoo works well.

Also, careful with showering after and having the residue rinse lower down the body-
LOTTA sensitive areas south of the border that will lite up too!

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
Baby shampoo wouldn't be effective because it's not a grease cutter.  What makes pepper spray hurt is the oil of the pepper.  Most body washes and such are designed to leave some oils behind.  Dawn is designed to break the oil up and remove it.... And it still tasked many washing a to get the oil out of your pores.  But if baby shampoo is what you use... I'd go with at least 50-100 washings before getting in the shower but if all I had was baby I'd do at least 100 hard scrubbings.

Just because it's soap doesn't means it's the same thing.  The last time I got sprayed I did 10 scrubbings with a gojo like heavy pumice degreaser.  You do not want OC to run down on your naughty bits.  The best way to describe it is the butt crack of the sun sitting on your face.  Some are more or less powerful.  Mace doesn't even make my eyes water... Military OC spray hurts for a week after. 

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
Would this be appropriate to ward off a bear?

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »
No...

Bear sprays are odd some bears enjoy pepper spray. 

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
Carrot juice.  Don't use soap, use Carrot Juice.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Carrot juice.  Don't use soap, use Carrot Juice.

The Professor

I've never heard this one but I've heard tomato juice, orange, apple and many others non of them pulled the oils out of the skin.  Is carrot juice a degreaser

Also another myth is milk.  Milk is a base and when you eat pepers if you drink milk or even eat sour cream it will wash it down and neutralize the oils.  On your skin it's different.  You have to get all the oils off your skin.. The pepper oil and the skin oil because they mix and distribute it.  The more it spreads the more you have to wash.

Edit
I just looked up carrot juice best I can figure is it's a base like milk.  So from what I've tried and what I've seen tried I doubt it would be very effective. The only thing I've seen 100% work for everyone every single time was a harsh soap with a degreaser in it and repeated scrubbings. 

Because I know this works from experience as I've said I've been sprayed multiple times. And I've seen people try tons of home remedies.  One of which was my roommate he tried dove soap and got pepper spray on his genitals.  He had to go to the emergency room and have to large not very happy looking male navy nurses put a burn cream on his junk.  And he had to lay in bed for the better part of a week using the burn ointment on himself.  I was told once he had scars from it. 

People have a lot of home remedies.  Sometimes a store bought remedy is better if it's been tested many times around you before you. 

And if your going to recommend something other than a documentable proof cure have someone spray you with a 2 second spray at less than 10 foot and verify the cure first hand. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:54:00 AM by Knightwalkr »

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
I've never heard this one but I've heard tomato juice, orange, apple and many others non of them pulled the oils out of the skin.  Is carrot juice a degreaser

Also another myth is milk.  Milk is a base and when you eat pepers if you drink milk or even eat sour cream it will wash it down and neutralize the oils.  On your skin it's different.  You have to get all the oils off your skin.. The pepper oil and the skin oil because they mix and distribute it.  The more it spreads the more you have to wash.

Edit
I just looked up carrot juice best I can figure is it's a base like milk.  So from what I've tried and what I've seen tried I doubt it would be very effective. The only thing I've seen 100% work for everyone every single time was a harsh soap with a degreaser in it and repeated scrubbings. 

Because I know this works from experience as I've said I've been sprayed multiple times. And I've seen people try tons of home remedies.  One of which was my roommate he tried dove soap and got pepper spray on his genitals.  He had to go to the emergency room and have to large not very happy looking male navy nurses put a burn cream on his junk.  And he had to lay in bed for the better part of a week using the burn ointment on himself.  I was told once he had scars from it. 

People have a lot of home remedies.  Sometimes a store bought remedy is better if it's been tested many times around you before you. 

And if your going to recommend something other than a documentable proof cure have someone spray you with a 2 second spray at less than 10 foot and verify the cure first hand. 

As a once State- and Federal-Level Certified Trainer in Chemical Agent Aerosol Weapons, I was intentionally hit HUNDREDS of times over the span of 25+ years with OC, CN and CS in stream, fog, capsules and air-suspension forms.

Additionally, since I teach self-defense, I teach the proper use of chemical sprays to my students.  Most of it is done with inert trainers, but we do demonstrations with the live agents, as well, as part of the training.  I guess I'd have to write it down in order to be documented, though.

I will, therefore, re-iterate: Carrot Juice.  It's not instant, but it seems to cut the recovery rate drastically.  No, using V8 won't work, get it right from the can or bottle.

Now, I will expound: Quite simply, there is NOTHING that provides an immediate antidote for OC because of the way it acts on the body.  Yes, there are certain injections that can quickly alleviate the symptoms and there are certain "home remedies" that can help shorten the body's responses by removing or blocking the offending chemical.  Three of my favorites are Yogurt, Maalox or Mylanta applied topically.

One item that's used a lot by law-enforcement is Bio Shield, which claims to reduce recovery time in half.  Sometimes it even works.

A good portion of what works with both OC and "tear gas" sprays is psychological.  That wonderful feeling you have when you get CS'd and it feels like a steel band has locked itself around your chest.  It's how you deal with the endorphins that matter.  Sure, there's a physical component to it.  But, if you've been hit as many times as you state, then it's presumable that you don't respond the same way as you did your first time.

As a humorous aside, my first exposure to CS was on an NBC training range in 1985 in the ass-end of Fort Benning.  Buncha recruits doing push-ups and sit-ups in their protective masks and practicing taking them on and off.  Finally, the Drill Instructors just had us standing there timing us to see if we could get our masks on (with hood) in under 15 seconds when the timer was initiated with "GAS!GAS!GAS!"

Of course, they thought it much more. . .appropriate. . .to then start tossing CS canisters amongst the unmasked recruits as an initiator.  One poor guy freaked out so bad that he ran headlong into a light pole and rendered himself semi-conscious.

Good times, good times.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
That's why I was asking because in our classes I saw many people fall for various things that didn't work at all.

My last stint in the gas chamber went like this... We're one mask short... So you'll have to come back and retake the week long course... Uhhh can I give it a shot without a mask and then as people are leaving take a mask and dawn and clear.  Uhhh no.  Then another marine if he thinks he can go in without a mask so can I... Before the instructor could blink everyone was saying they could do it without a mask.. So 25 marines 24 masks.  I'm almost positive they had a type that they would light on fire.  And we scrambled for masks first 24 out with a sealed mask passed. 

Yeah I was one of the marines that was voluntold to test the .2 and .25 strays.  I've been sprayed many times and it never gets better but coping ability increases.  You couldn't pay me enough to go through a lot of that stuff.  But while we took the month of 2 sprays a week I found out mace doesn't bother me at all and some of the lower grade civ stuff isn't as bad as shampoo in the eyes. 

During that time we were given various decontamination methods to try.  All in horrid fun for the trainers. 

The first time I was sprayed was with .15 though horrible experience...

I've also been tazed several times in training and can tell you the flat plate tazers have a good chance of not being effective.  Ones with little barbs or spikes are the most effective. 

Also with pepper spray some states above a certain % of OC it is considered a potentially lethal agent.