Author Topic: Trouble with Food Saver Brand  (Read 23540 times)

Offline camo007

• Prepper
Trouble with Food Saver Brand
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »
I need some advice.  We have been using our Food Saver Vacuum sealer we bought from Costco but it is now not functioning correctly.  For some unknown reason it seals but will not remove the air in the bag.  This is a almost new unit that has done this before.  I don't trust this unit or any other FS unit right now.  Has anyone out there had good luck with the Food saver Vacuum sealer?  If so what model number is the most reliable. 

I am very disappointed in the product and am ready to not use one again.  Someone please advise on what is the best way forward.  Thanks!!

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Trouble with Food Saver Brand
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
Do you use the mason jar sealer attachment?  I had this happen to me and it was because the seal in the base where the attachment hose connects somehow got stuck open and therefore the bags would not seal (air was always coming in from the attatchment hole).  I have even had it stick in the opposite fashion.  To fix it I just put the attachment in and took it out a couple times.  This has happened twice so far but wasn't a problem once I found a workaround.

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
Oh, if it is not the problem I listed above it may be due to applying pressure when sealing to one side of the unit and not the other.  I have had this happen when sealing a big bag and was only holding down the unit with one hand while the other was supporting the bag's contents.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »
I have a fairly inexpensive model 2050, iirc. It has worked so well for me over the past 1 1/2 yrs. I use it all the time with jars, bags, (even figured out how to vacuum seal mylar with a strip of FS bag inside the mylar), canisters. I've worn out one attachment hose already and replaced it... it just keeps on going. Maybe the less expensive models are better?

Sorry you're having difficulty. I'd call the FS customer service line about this. It doesn't sound right.

Offline Fritz_H

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
I see two options:  1. return to store for replacement, or 2. triple and quadruple-check your technique to eliminate user error.  If you take the first option and the replacement unit behaves the same, go to number two.  I recommend #2 first.  Helped me in similar circumstances.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »
I use it all the time with jars, bags, (even figured out how to vacuum seal mylar with a strip of FS bag inside the mylar

Have you shared that technique on the forums? I'd love to see that!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »
Mine didn't pull the air properly either. I found that it was the black foam gasket around the vacuum chamber.  I think that you can get replacement gaskets or do lik I do and just press very firmly on the corners.  That allows it to get a good suction.

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:58 AM »
Call the Food saver people! They were great to deal with! Long story short, they gave me a free unit and fixed my old one as soon as they were finished with their moving problems, etc.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:02:38 AM »
Have you shared that technique on the forums? I'd love to see that!

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/?id=58

I use the method the guy on the vid calls the second method. I cut a strip of FS bag about 2" wide, tuck it into the top of my mylar bag about 1/2" down from the top of the mylar bag, vacuum seal (the ridges on the FS bag surface allow the air to be pulled out), then seal again a couple more times above the FS bag strip top.

I do still use O2 absorbers as always, but just like getting more air out to begin with. It then packs tighter into storage bins...

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
I would check the jar connector like someone said, I would also call the Food Saver company line.

I have sealed my smaller mylar bags with my food saver, without any fuss, just put them in the machine. To be sure, I turned them over and did the other side as well. I didn't use the machine to suck out air though, justto seal the bags.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
I need some advice.  We have been using our Food Saver Vacuum sealer we bought from Costco but it is now not functioning correctly.  For some unknown reason it seals but will not remove the air in the bag.  This is a almost new unit that has done this before.  I don't trust this unit or any other FS unit right now.  Has anyone out there had good luck with the Food saver Vacuum sealer?  If so what model number is the most reliable. 

I am very disappointed in the product and am ready to not use one again.  Someone please advise on what is the best way forward.  Thanks!!
I bought a V3585 from Sam's Club earlier this year. It worked great over and over. But we were only sealing maybe 3-5 bags in a row. Last weekend I set it up and ran about 50 bags in a row through it and by the end it wasn't taking all the air out.
I let it sit for about an hour and it worked fine. So I opened and re-sealed the bags it failed on.
I assumed it was either overheating or the foam ring around the sealer was failing with repeated use.
Now I'm not sure.
Next time I use it I'll see how it does and report back here.

Offline Mechanik

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
I need some advice.  We have been using our Food Saver Vacuum sealer we bought from Costco but it is now not functioning correctly.

The good thing about Costco is they will take pretty much anything back, whether for exchange or refund, no questions asked, after just about any length of time.  You don't even need the receipt as they have all your purchases tied to your membership and can look up in the computer whether or not you've bought the item in question from them.

If you can't troubleshoot the unit yourself with the advice people have been giving you, you can thankfully either take it back for a replacement or a refund.

Offline guadalupefly38

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:50 AM »
Mine didn't pull the air properly either. I found that it was the black foam gasket around the vacuum chamber.  I think that you can get replacement gaskets or do lik I do and just press very firmly on the corners.  That allows it to get a good suction.

thank u for sharing ur blog..

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
What I learned from Customer Service at Food Saver is to remove all gaskets (some models have two) and flip them over and reinsert. Then to check functioning take a bag with a spoon in it and try sealing it.  If it doesn't seal then your machine may be a goner. Mine worked great again after flipping the gaskets.  But do consider buying new gaskets (they're cheap) and sometimes this is all you need as they wear out after a while.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
But do consider buying new gaskets (they're cheap) and sometimes this is all you need as they wear out after a while.

Always good to have spare parts too, before you need them

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
I've had the FoodSaver V3840 for about 10 months now and thus far it has been great. I've definitely put it through the paces with both the jar sealer and bags including one session where I sealed more than 20 quarts of green beans for the freezer in a day. We were vacuum sealing one bag every ten minutes or so after blanching, cooling and patting a load dry so it wasn't as if we were running it constantly though.

The V3840 is usually a pretty expensive model, but I picked it up at Christmas directly from Foodsaver on a special. I only mention this because I don't know what the different tech specs are between the various models and if one version has a better track record than the next.

The most problems I've heard of regarding the FoodSaver failing to remove air from bags before sealing them are due to common problems like a failing gasket, sucking in air from the jar sealer port, messing up the pump with liquids or fine particulates or failing to wait the recommended time between sealing bags. So, as others have mentioned, I'd take a look at the gasket or jar sealer hose first and then go from there.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
Always good to have spare parts too, before you need them

Such good advice - I always keep extras of gaskets for everything I use.  Makes life simpler.  Less stress and I'm happy.