Author Topic: Only own one shotgun  (Read 2462 times)

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
Only own one shotgun
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
I would like to start deer hunting this year.  Rather than buy a new rifle I would like to use the shotgun I have - a Stoger 2000 semi auto.  I have been using it for 2 years to shoot trap and it has been very reliable and accurate.  (When I miss a bird it is not the gun!)  I would like to use this same gun for deer.  I know I need to take out the full choke - do I put another one in or just go with the open cylinder.   One size shot/slug should I be using?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Only own one shotgun
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
You have 2 basic directions to take:

Foster slugs - these are fired from smoothbore shotgun barrels with no choke and are good out to 50-75 yards. Plenty of power, but lack accuracy - figure 3" groups at 50 yds.

Sabot slugs - these need a rifled shotgun barrel or a rifled choke tube. This will stretch your effective range out to about 100yds - figure on 3" groups at 100yds.

If it's an option, the Remington Buckhammer sabots are probably the best combo of commonality / accurate / power in 12ga.

Ideally, if you can get a fully rifled barrel that is 18-20" it will shoot slugs better and be easier to carry in the woods. I don't know what Stoeger has for accessory barrels.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:41 AM »
A dedicated slug barrel is definitely the way to go, if it's a possibility.

You have more options for accurate ammo & better accuracy at range.

Many slug barrels have rifle type sights on them & some offer an option for mounting scopes.

Mossberg makes barrels for several models of shotguns.  I bought one of their 18" barrels for my 870 & was satisfied with the quality & accuracy it had.  It also didn't break me.  It only cost around $100.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:06:39 AM »
 It is ok to shoot slugs out of your field barrel with a modified or improved cylinder choke tube. NEVER shoot anything with the tube completely removed. I forget the manufacturer,but there are adjustable sights available that clamp on vent ribs.

If it were me, I'd look for a used 870 or Mossberg 500 with a deticated slug barrel rather than try finding a slug barrel for the Stoeger. They come through HK/Benelli now and dealers are scarce. (at least here) I haven't priced Stoeger barrels for a long time, but I do remember them being rather high.

If you're looking for this season, look NOW. Used deer guns start going fast this time of year, and are almost impossible to find as season gets closer. Just like I tell everyone I know, look for these kinda things in the opposite season....deer guns in summer, varmint rifles in fall. The used racks are full of them when the season is opposite.

Offline tn308fan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »
Try this:
http://www.choke-tube.com/products.asp?cat=7970

It is just a rifled choke tube.34$ I think.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
You can get an H&R single shot 12ga with a rifled barrel pretty cheap.