Author Topic: Anybody have an account with Schiff's EuroPacific Capital?  (Read 4595 times)

Tommy Jefferson

Anybody have an account with Schiff's EuroPacific Capital?
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:31:26 AM »
Anybody here have an account with Peter Schiff's brokerage firm EuroPacific Capital?

I'm trying to determine which of their products performs best.  Managed account?  Mutual fund?  Throw it all in the Perth Mint?

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
Re: Anybody have an account with Schiff's EuroPacific Capital?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
I have an account, but have not tried their managed product.  I choose some stocks based on their recommendations in late 2008, and they have outperformed the market, but are not up significantly overall; however,(pick your index) is down, so I think they do analysis well.  I am going to look into there managed account soon though.  I download and listen to Schiff's 1 hour show that airs on Wednesday nights, and podcast, and agree with his outlook on the economy and economics pretty closely.  Although, I don't have a lot of time to research stocks, I have research Mr. Schiff's philosophy, generally Austrian economics, and am willing to put some money with him.

I have not tried the Perth Mint since I am building up my physical gold first, then I may do this or something like it, and not "put all my eggs in one basket" to reduce the risk of theft, private or government. 

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
Thank you for the info Rorschach.

I too wish I could find some data on how Europac's managed accounts have performed over the long-term.

Because I'm the guy my friends think "know about that stuff", they come to me for investment advice.  I'm scared to death of steering them wrong, but I cringe every time they tell me about the mounting losses in their employer-managed 401k's and mutual funds.

One of my friends is an elderly widow whose $300K evaporated down to $175K over the last two years in a Wells-Fargo managed account.

Here's the email her broker sent...

----------------------------
Subject: RE: check
Date:    Fri, August 20, 2010 12:05 pm
To:      "'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.  You have some pent up emotions on all of this!  I can understand why.  I, too have a lot of concerns.  I comfort myself by the thought that November can start to change some of this, and the fact that the pendulum always swings back.

We all have "recency bias", where we take what has just happened recently and we project it forward.  We start thinking that things will always continue to happen the same way they are currently happening.  But
fortunately, that's not the case.   There is a reversion to the mean and a changing of the guard.

We will be okay as a country.  We will come through this.  Those who prosper will fight through the clutter and the noise.  They will think for themselves, not follow the crowd.  And they will use tried and true principles that have worked for decades.

That is how your portfolio is positioned.  You will be okay.  You will make money on your investments.  Just hang in there.

I hope that helps, at least a little.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, CFP(r)
Vice President
Investment Officer

Wells Fargo Advisors
ofc xxx-xxx-xxxx
fax xxx-xxx-xxxx
----------------------------

What a load of bunk!  Yeah, "hang in there baby.  Politics might change things."

This woman is terrifed.  She calls me on the phone crying because she fears destitution.  I don't know what to tell her.

These thieving parasites infuriate me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:10:58 AM by Tommy Jefferson »

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
I have a managed account with Euro Pacific. Last year I made about 8%. This year I'm down about 3%. One of the investments went south. I still have faith in them overall, but no one is infallible.

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
We will be okay as a country.  We will come through this.  Those who prosper will fight through the clutter and the noise.  They will think for themselves, not follow the crowd.  And they will use tried and true principles that have worked for decades.

Hah!  This coming from a Wells Fargo guy. I'm sure he's got a very original investment strategy.   What a tool!

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
Tommy Jefferson, that email is scary and sad; there is no platitude left behind >:(

On another note it is hard to tell how his clients portfolios are doing, and they do not necessarily represent his understanding of economics, since people do not have to take his advise when buying stocks.  Also, he can not talk about his clients portfolios due to FINRA.  We will know more about how well he personally does when enough time has passed for data about Europac financial products to be published.

endurance

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
Love the line "the pendulum always swings back".  It always has, but if you bought in 1929 and you wanted to break even again, you had to wait until ~1954 to sell at even money.  I don't think that's what most people have in mind.  Most people want the impossible: 10% yield, year in and year out without fluxuation.  It doesn't exist unless you're investing with Madoff. ::)

The market is going to fluxuate dramatically until the housing market finds a bottom, unemployment is back under 6%, and the boomers stop drawing on their 401ks.  I don't see any of those things in the next 5 years.  That doesn't mean there isn't money to be made; it just means expecting stable returns on stock portfolios is unrealistic.  My advice is a very diverse portfolio; some gold, some silver, some small cap, some large cap, some foreign bond, some foreign stock (I don't recommend domestic bonds while yields are under 5%), some utilities, some real estate (but not commercial).  Good yielding preferred stock and utility & energy stocks that are paying better than 4-5% are worth a look, but if interest rates rise (due to inflation or credit risk), they're all vulnerable.

Offline marcusw

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
So How are Euro Pacific doing now? Chris, how have the last 2 years been?