Photobucket

Author Topic: When toilet paper and sanitary napkins run out!!! Options...  (Read 5246 times)

Offline survive

• Fledgling Prepper
When toilet paper and sanitary napkins run out!!! Options...
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:03:48 PM »
In days to come we may or may not have access to stores to buy things.  Should we not be able to there, these are some real basics that really need to be addressed.

1.   What do we use for toilet paper?
2.   What do women use for sanitary napkins?

So this topic is not meant to be gross.  All of us use toilet paper.  The second point affects all of us too.  For all of you men out there, you all have at least mothers and perhaps; a wife, daughter(s), sisters – you get my point!

Had this discussion with another group and this is what we came up with.
Please add other ideas!

Toilet Paper

A list of options

Buy LOTS - A good stocking up method for TP are the the large 10-12" wide toilet paper rolls you see in public restrooms. Costco sells them in 6 packs. They cost about 20% more per pack than the regular Kirkland household TP but have TWICE the square footage! And best of all they're 1/3 the volume so you can store much more on the shelf. You can fit 2-3 months of TP (4 commercial size rolls) plus a couple bottles of Ajax in one five gallon bucket! It's not the best quality so cycling through during pre-SHTF might get grumbles from your family but still make a great stowaway.

http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods-Second-Environmentally/dp/0898156270/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281904266&sr=1-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper
Elsewhere, wealthy people wiped themselves with wool, lace or hemp, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize, ferns, may apple plant husks, fruit skins, or seashells, and corn cobs, depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. In Ancient Rome, a sponge on a stick was commonly used, and, after usage, placed back in a bucket of saltwater

News paper
Phone books
Magazines (hopefully the non glossy type)
Sea sponge
Mullein - http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/im...um_thapsus.htm
It's also medicinal:
http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.c...rb_Mullein.htm

On you could make your own
http://www.ehow.com/how_4514690_make-toilet-paper.html

T-shirt squares (to be washed and re-used)

Santitary Napkins/ Tampons

Reusable Silicone Diva Cup

Spagnum Moss was used by natives for both TP and woman's needs. its naturally anti-bacterial properties and long (once dried) storage life makes it good for the task. Also called "peat moss" The stuff gardeners use is the decaying stuff which is found underneath the Sphagnum Moss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphagnum

Websites for making your own pads...
http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-w...enstrual-pads/
http://www.borntolove.com/d-list7-make.shtml
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/org...clothpads.html
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/PADS.html
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm
For the woman's menses, can buy large pack of microfiber towels from Costco. They're highly absorbent, soft, and wash easily. After use, just soak in vinegar or hydrogen peroxide and wash with cold water and soap, using a clean plunger and bucket.

Or you can buy the cloth one already made
http://www.naturallycozy.com/washabl...e-napkins.html
http://www.earthwisegirls.co.uk/reusable-sanitary-towels-c-1.html

bundles of the red cotton shop rags. A stainless steel can to store the used ones, stainless steel pot to boil them, and then line dry in the sun for a final sanitize.

In the book called "Fifty Russian Winters". The woman (an American) lived there when it was the Soviet Union and she talked about how all they had to use for tampons was balled up cotton balls tied up with string.

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: When toilet paper and sanitary napkins run out!!! Options...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:09:28 PM »
As odd as this sounds, corn cobs make great TP.
(after the corn is removed, of course)
They are soft and silky and yet have great "poop grabbing power".
You can't flush them.  :(

Offline survive

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
As odd as this sounds, corn cobs make great TP.
(after the corn is removed, of course)
You can't flush them.  :(

Now that you mention it, I had heard that method too.  It was quite common in the pioneering days.  Although, they are only "soft and silky" when fresh.  Apparently, there is and old song about when they are not so soft and smooth!

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
People would clean themselves and then wash thier hands pre toilet paper.

If you have no TP, just make sure you have some clean water.  That sounds pretty awful today, but it's a simple solution.
The Goatpocolypse is near

Offline PraireSailor

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:58:20 PM »
Install a Bidet next to your toilet or have a removable shower wand and spray your hiney down.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »

I think that's Charmin's new tag line. :D

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »
in the summer time here in arkansas their is a small leafy plant thing, with really big leafs lined with a felt like top, "it really is super soft" I have actually used them a time or two when I was a teenager hunting, or when I walked to the river to go swiming and the urge hit me! i'd start looking around for that plant :o

Offline velojym

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
Not sure exactly how useful it'd be, but in Clan of the Cave Bear, the cavewomen used absorbent leather g-string type undergarments for feminine hygiene. Maybe that over a layer of cotton or gauze would be useful. Also, with the women I've ever lived with, the higher the activity level, the lighter the cycle tends to be, including one super-fit (and waaay limber) gal hardly had a period at all.
I don't know whether it's just a body fat thing, or whether fitness itself has a lot to do with it, but it seems that when things get hard and we're all having to work hard to get by, the problem may not be quite as bad as when we're living in more comfortable times.

Offline kiteflyer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

Get a nice round flat rock and flick off whatever waste product with it. Keep clean and handy at all times.Simply effective.Also remember that running water is more effective in cleaning your hands and a fingernail brush comes in handy in an emergency!

kiteflyer
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »
ha! he doesn't know how to use the 3 sea shells!

(from the movie demolition man)

Offline velojym

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »

(from the movie demolition man)

Yeah, well, there were some other "advances" in that movie I coulda done without... I personally like
exchanging bodily fluids.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
If you're considering cloth toilet "paper" I strongly recommend experimenting with different fabric types first rather than assuming any old thing will work, or even that carefully chosen soft fabric will work.

Stretchy knit fabrics stretch instead of wipe.

Thin fabrics bleed through so stuff gets all over your hands.

Plush fabrics are only soft if run through a dryer - line drying transforms velour into harder stuff that absorbs well but has a bit of a sandpaper effect.

Smooth woven fabric is ineffective.

All of these could be used if there was really no other option, but if you're planning on washing for re-use it makes sense to me to have items worthy of the effort, especially for SHTF. I recommend cotton flannel.

With enough rags you can use and throw away, but I consider the time and effort of cutting them into suitable pieces is too dear a price for one time use.

One way to reduce the amount of resources, effort, and time put into washing is to use a single rag multiple times for urine only, letting it dry out in-between uses. To each their own, of course. If in a well ventilated area and placed on a heater or in the sun there really isn't any smell, and it's dry by the next time you need it. It sounds grosser than it really is.

On the matter feminine hygiene, it's important to note that there are many menstrual cups other than the Diva cup that vary significantly by size and material. What fits one woman doesn't necessarily fit the next. What's comfortable for one woman doesn't necessarily work for the next. Most cups are silicone, one is natural latex, one is a kind of plastic. The silicone cups range from very stiff to very soft, and everywhere in-between. Some come in different colors. Some have caused allergic reactions (though a very rare occurrence). My point is, just like all other preps if you go this route you want to do your homework and try it out first to make sure it's a viable alternative. Guys, this one really is strictly the woman's department. This site is by far the best resource I've found for comparing cups, answering FAQs, and generalized non-biased information about anything and everything related to cups you ever wanted to know (and perhaps some you didn't). Cups don't break*, scratch, or wear out, and they're small enough that having one or two around really isn't much of a burden as far as storage space is concerned.

I personally think that after TEOTWAWKI menstrual cups would be in extremely high demand as a barter item. The convenience of a tampon coupled with the fact that it's infinitely reusable and sanitary (even with little or no water) and requires very little time or effort to wash would make it the winner, hands down.

*One company had an issue with cups splitting and now sells them as a sample promotional item, on guaranteeing single use. Also, I'm not sure the rubber cup has the same durability as the silicone ones.

Another option not yet mentioned is natural sponge tampons: http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php

They are reusable for a few cycles. Personally, I haven't tried them and I don't plan to. I have read of someone who just purchases regular natural sponges and then cuts them to size, which seems much more economical than the overpriced "Sea Pearls".

An alternative to pads that's both more comfortable and results in less fabric to wash is small pieces of folded fabric that are applied and hold in place on their own (but not like a tampon). In order to work well the fabric should be a very loose knit and as thin as possible; other kinds of fabric barely work, do not hold in place and can be quite uncomfortable. I stumbled upon this fabric (Natural Light Lattice) as the best by far. A ballpark size is 2" X 3", smaller for light days. You can get away with soiling much less fabric because the only material used is where it's needed. Since the fabric doesn't ravel, making them is as easy as a pair of scissors. I discovered this method out of necessity but have found it a superior option to pads.

Offline Amanda Willis

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Original S.O.E.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
We store up the smaller terri clothes from walmart and costco for wipe, wash and reuse TP if ever needed. Yes we have tried it. Yes it works. You can also buy the larger ones at costco meant for car washing and cut them into 4 pieces but the edges fray so you might want to searge the edges on a sewing machine.

For tampons and pads we store up a bunch and keep them in 5 gallon buckets.

John Willis
www.SOetacticalgear.com
fallow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=606786825

Offline 2mommas

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:33 AM »
Everyone used to get a big , thick catalog every year at Christmas.  You kept the catalog in the outhouse for reading , and used one page at a time.
Powdered lime was used for sanitation , under the outhouse.

Any kind of old soft material was used  for monthly cycle and thrown away. It was usually held in place by a big safety pin.  Something to remember. You will need safety pins.
books , magazines , newspaper will all be an asset, for multiple purposes.
I heard of someones grandpa who insulated the outhouse  with cardboard, years before anyone was even putting insulation in houses.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »
 We had an outhouse at home until I was 15 (we thought we were rich!), and used everything imaginable for tp when we didn't have the money to buy any. We used newspapers, catalogs, magazines, and rags. The paper products went in the outhouse, and rags went to the burn barrel with the household garbage. We practically grew up in the woods. It wasn't just where we hunted, but it was our playground. When the need arose, we just grabbed any kind of large leaf that was handy.

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline 2mommas

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Right now the price of cotton is going higher than it has ever been. 
It would be a good idea to stock up on any kind of materials , towels, clothing, anything that could be used .
It used to be scarce and expensive.  That is why all the homemade quilts were made from  scrap clothing.

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »
Wow this has turned into a very informative post, especially for me, sence I make TP for a living.

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »

I plan to have another set of 3 sea shells with a solar / battery backup installed. 2 is 1, 1 is none, and no sea shells makes a grumpy wife.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Offline owlsranch

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
My Dad grew up in Iowa and Illinois, he said that his family used corn cobs and they did a good job.  They also used corn cobs to burn in their furnace.........of course not the same ones they used in the out house.
He also said that the Sears catalog was also much saught after.  To look at all the items while they were in the outhouse and then to use a page or two to finish their business.  He said that just about any paper could be made soft if you wad it up over and over. 
I would think that the ornmental Lambs Ears could do a pretty good job and also the wild Mullein plant.

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
So does anyone practice without paper?

A simple yes or no is fine, anything else is TMI  ;D

Yes for me.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »
So does anyone practice without paper?

Not on a regular basis, but on a couple of different Wilderness Survival and Primitive Skills Courses.

I hated that part.

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Reading Patriots(I think its been a year and a half since I last read) but the group ran out of TP and one of them said they were lucky because before the SHTF they kept collecting free TP in the form of the Yellow Pages (no I got a serious urge to re-read Patriots).

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Reading Patriots(I think its been a year and a half since I last read) but the group ran out of TP and one of them said they were lucky because before the SHTF they kept collecting free TP in the form of the Yellow Pages (no I got a serious urge to re-read Patriots).

Of course, using Patriots for TP is a sound option too....     8)
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline dwl1820

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »
I read somewhere that in the depression days people used rags and a small bucket of water.  Each had their own rags to use (and clean).  A person would get (of course) clean water....do their business and then clean themselves up.  What they did with the water after wards was pour it in the garden or yard for fertilization.  I thought that was pretty ingenious.  There was nothing in what I read of anyone getting sick from e-coli by eating produce out of the garden.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »
Was in Tokyo a few years ago and I must of spent an hour in our room playing with the bidet. Had all kinds of buttons and pictures I didn't understand but sure was fun  ;D

Offline valerie21601

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
I find using pre-made cloth baby diapers are really good for the bathroom.   We extend our TP by using the  "cloth" only for wiping ourselves when we do no.1  and use the TP when we do no. 2  doing this has saved us a great deal of money.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
There are some great post here...very informative.  It surprised me that in how I've been really focusing on preps lately, making list insuring I didn't forget anything....and yet I never considered toilet paper.  I don't have any put back....well that will change quickly!
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
- General George Patton Jr

The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself.
- General Douglas MacArthur

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:49 PM »
Was in Tokyo a few years ago and I must of spent an hour in our room playing with the bidet. Had all kinds of buttons and pictures I didn't understand but sure was fun  ;D
OT - but there is a joke there...  but not really family friendly,..  Careful which button you push,..
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
Was in Tokyo a few years ago and I must of spent an hour in our room playing with the bidet. Had all kinds of buttons and pictures I didn't understand but sure was fun  ;D

You mean that was not a fancy drinking fountain at this hotel I was at ???   ??? ???

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:00:24 PM by hanzel »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
I was watching something on the history channel about biblical toilets and to wipe themselves with sponges on sticks.