Author Topic: I made my first silver purchase today!  (Read 9573 times)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
I made my first silver purchase today!
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »
Took Jacks advice of buying a little silver every month. Its a kind of empowering feeling knowing that Im building real physical wealth. I want to order one of the ounce silver bars next month.

Ordered 20 pre 64 dimes off of Ebay. Total with shipping was $23.19 Howd I do?

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: I made my first silver purchase today!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
Cool.  I went last week and purchased some.  I got two 4oz bars and five 1oz silver eagles.  My wife and I are actually going to purchase more later this week as well as some Gold Eagles.  With the gold, I will probably stick with the 1/10th ounce eagles so the $$$ will be more marketable should I ever need to sell.  A 1 oz gold eagle is over $1000, YIKES!!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »
Somehow I got away with getting 4 silver half dollars and two silver quarters for 25 bucks. At least 10 below spot.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:28:44 AM »
Took Jacks advice of buying a little silver every month. Its a kind of empowering feeling knowing that Im building real physical wealth. I want to order one of the ounce silver bars next month.

Ordered 20 pre 64 dimes off of Ebay. Total with shipping was $23.19 Howd I do?

Congrats!  I feels good doesn't it?  Seems like a great price too.

leatherneck

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »
The nice thing about the silver dimes is that you can use them for smaller purchases. I'd hate to hand over a maple leaf for couple dozen eggs!  I have thought about getting some of the 5 and 10 OZ bars but I like the trade ability of the smaller 10z bars and pre-64 stuff. Even buying 10-20 coins at a time, you will start to accumulate a fair amount of really money before you know it.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »
Great point Leatherneck and well said. This is the reason I accumulated gold coins in various sizes from the 1/10 oz to the 1 oz coins as well. It cost a bit more to get gold this way but I think it is worth it to have the ability to fractionalize your metals. For instance if TSHTF, you may be able to get an appendectomy at a hospital for 1 oz of gold but to get a root canal it may only cost 1/4 oz. The only drawback to silver dimes is that for the face value to silver ratio they are the lowest. You get a tad less silver in a dime in proportion than you do in a quarter or dollar. It is slight but with big silver purchases, make sure they give you a good mix because $1000 face value of dimes has less silver than say $1000 face value of halves or quarters. WWII nickels and the 40% halves are the exception of course but rarely included in the big bags of silver. Anyways great post!

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
Bought another ounce of silver today. I dont think its a real coin (or I mean US legal tender anyway). But it is an oz of .999 pure silver. Prolly not the best price in the word I would say that it is a fair price not a great bargan or anything. Another meager addition to my little silver pile. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300277208648

It does feel good though to own something real like Tactical Badger said. When I got my dimes I was like "whoah this is real". You know what I mean? Like its an actual valuable thing that you can hold onto.

millerized1

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:53:22 AM »
I was gonna ask how it felt, but then I read a bit of the thread.

Yeah, feels good, feels real, feels like......something real good ;)
That's why I shared the wealth with some lucky winner.... both to give someone something real in their hands that will get them started.....

.......and to prepare myself for having Obama TAKE mine and redistribute it to crack babies, illegals and hookers.:)

Congratulations on your purchases.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:19:59 PM »
I literally just got back from making my first purchase from a local dealer.  4 x halves to start with for now, but it is a different feeling than having $2 in my pocket.  I think I'll be going back later this week for more, and then maybe once a week as the paychecks come in.

bigheadt

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
Before you know it you'll have a couple hundred ounces worth, feels good to know you have something that people all over the world will always accept, especially if you have children.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »
Feels good to have actual money in your hand doesn't it?  ;D

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:08 PM »
It does feel good. Im up to 8 ounces of silver now! I would take a picture of my little silver pile but alas I have no camera.  :-[

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
Cool :) I recently invested in some precious metals and it definately is not funny money... Get some REAL money!!!

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »
My little silver collection so far.

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
Is there an advantage of buying coins over silver ingots?
I am going to be buying ingots and now I am wondering if coins is the way to go.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »
Is there an advantage of buying coins over silver ingots?
I am going to be buying ingots and now I am wondering if coins is the way to go.

Coins are a known thing of known weight, purity, appearance, etc.  Everyone knows a one ounce gold Krugerrand is one ounce of gold.  Ingots can be an unknown.

Bullion coins will likely be the more widely acceptable and desirable for purposes of barter, trade, etc.

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »
Ingots normally have weight and purity on them.  Or I am thinking of bars.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »

Never seen an ingot up close. I am buying bars as well as junk silver. Just got little one ounce bars in the mail today as a matter of fact. They kinda look like the "gold pressed latinum" on star trek deep space nine lol. I also have about 2 ounces of silver coins that arent american Im wondering if those have less value for bartering since they wont be as common or recognizable.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »

Anything can be counterfeited or falsified.  But, ingots and bars would be easier than minted coins.  If you hand me a lump of metal that has "Acme Silver, 1 oz., .9999 fine" stamped on it, how do I know what it is?

Give me some junk silver, a Maple Leaf, etc., I may have some that I know are genuine to compare against.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »

Oh never mind I am buying ingots not bars. Bars are like...well big bars. Yeah I have bought ingots before and they do have the weight and purity on them. I like em. I plan on buying both junk silver and ingots as well as silver rounds.

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
I am thinking that silver coins may have "collector value" attached to them that could drive up the price.
Junk silver would have the same problem as ingots wouldn't it?  How do you know what it is? 

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
I am thinking that silver coins may have "collector value" attached to them that could drive up the price.
Junk silver would have the same problem as ingots wouldn't it?  How do you know what it is? 

For example, the Morgan Liberty coins from the early 1900's have collector value.  So, part of their value is the metal content, part of their value is their rarity as that particular coin.

Junk silver refers mainly to those coins minted pre 1964 or 65. Pre 1965 the amount of silver in silver coins was around 90%, after that date the amount of silver in each coin was reduced to around 40 percent or so, so it is a good idea, if you are accumulating silver this way, to stick to the pre 1965 coins.

There are bullion coins like Silver Eagles, Silver Maple Leafs, etc. that are modern minted coins.  The value of their metal content exceeds their face value of $1 or whatever.  They do sell at a premium over their metal content value to compensate for costs of production, but they typically do not carry collector value because they are mass produced and have no rarity.

Some of the consideration is the purpose of holding the metal.  For barter purposes, more units of smaller value may be more convenient.  Hard to trade an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread where as a few junk silver dimes or nickles may do the deal.  On the other hand, if the metal is intended as a store of value to carry wealth from this side of TEOTWAWKI to the other side, then larger bars or ingots may be more convenient.