Author Topic: Rookie Dove Hunting Suggestions  (Read 3072 times)

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
Rookie Dove Hunting Suggestions
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for a newbie dove hunter? I am going on my first hunting trip with some work colleagues next week.  I am going to borrow my brother's shotgun, I have shooting glasses and hearing protection and that is about it.  Thanks.

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
Re: Rookie Dove Hunting Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
Bring a lot of shells. And sunscreen. When you miss, you are probably shooting behind them - they are really fast, so lead them a bit more than you think.

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
Don't hunt with Dick Cheney.

For that matter, stay a good ways from anyone.  It's amazing how often people shoot each other while dove hunting.  Not in a mean way, though.

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
Go read this blog post:
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/2010/08/be-better-dove-hunter.html

It has lots of great tips.

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
Good stuff, thanks.  +1

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
Man, I love dove hunting.  I haven't done it in years.

Lots of shells, for sure.  Take something to sit on for when the shooting slows down.

It helps to have several people posted around the perimeter of where you're hunting.  It keeps the birds moving back and forth across the shooting zones.  Wear clothes that blend in with the tree line.  They don't necessarily need to be camo, but something dull & earthy helps.

If you're hunting over a field that hasn't been fully harvested, watch a hit bird all the way to the ground.  Get to it as quickly as possible.  I can't tell you how many times I've bowled a dove & then had to chase the sucker across the ground.  They blend in well & they can move quick if not hard hit.  If you get one that's wounded & need to finish the job, don't shoot it again.  Pick the dove up & put it's neck between two finger & hold onto it's head.  Make a quick spinning motion with your hand & give your wrist a quick snap.  That breaks it's neck & finishes the job.

Keep track of how many doves you've killed & don't hold anyone else's doves for them.  That keeps you from losing track of your take & keeps problems with game wardens to a minimum.

Above all else, have fun.  Enjoy the time with friends.

Let us know how it goes. ;)  (I'm jealous, BTW)

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
I did my first dove hunt this year. It was a blast for me because it was with my nephews. I agree lots of shells and vest to hold them.

I was constantly shooting behind them. Used to pheasant slow rise and getting on the bird to shoot.

On the final day I started to connect by taking a stand in some tall sage and shooting when they were coming in to perching spot there flight wasn't as erratic.

Pat