Author Topic: Target Focus Training  (Read 1962 times)

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
Target Focus Training
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
http://www.targetfocustraining.com/

Target Focus Training, TFT, is my recommendation for a self defense system during shtf or teotwawki, though I like knowing it for everyday life during these good times as well.  It is not a martial art and is not for sporting matches.  It is not for anything less than a life and death struggle.  It is easy to do and quick to learn with moves most anyone can perform.

I do not sell this system and I will make no money if anyone here purchases anything from this system.  I'm posting because I attended the class and have firsthand experience with it.  Also, I believe TFT is something women should consider taking for self defense.  Men tend to fight for a number of stupid reasons, like pride and status, to name just two.  When women fight, it's usually for their lives.  If there is another class that would better suite women, I haven't come across it.

I'll just get to the inevitable comparison to martial arts right off the bat.  TFT is absolutely not a martial art.  The one and only purpose of TFT is doing damage to a human being, up to and including killing that person.  While martial arts can be used for the same purpose, it has wider applications.  For instance, martial arts can be used in a less than lethal conflict without inflicting permanent damage.  TFT should never be used for anything but the point of crisis, that point when someone is actually attempting to harm you and doing violence to stop him is your ONLY choice.  Period.  That is the one and only application TFT has.  Martial Arts will teach discipline, build your skills, keep you in shape, can be taught to your children, and allow you to enter tournaments to compete with others with similar skills.  TFT is for none of this.  Again, TFT's one and only purpose is to damage a human being to the point where that human being is no longer capable of harming you.
Can you learn TFT and expect to beat any martial artist, anywhere, anytime?  No.  There are martial artists out there with such highly developed skills that you can't lay a hand on them.  If you can't land your strikes, you can't damage them.  These people will trash someone trained in TFT.  However, those same people would trash anyone who does not have comparable training.  If you want to fight someone like this I would strongly suggest you take a martial art and train very hard for the next decade or so.

How does TFT work?  How long does it take to learn?  Why can just about anyone do it regardless of strength or speed or skill level?

TFT works on the principal that the one who does the worst damage to the other first will come out on top.  Damage is the key to this, not causing pain or slugging it out with someone.  For instance, slugging ten different people in the jaw will probably get you ten different reactions, from taking one of them down for the count to getting nothing more than a slight flinch from another.  Gouging the eyes out of ten different peoples' skull will get you the same reaction every time; They'll lose their eyeball kicking and making animal noises.  The second example is doing actual damage, the first is not.  When you are damaging a human being, that human will not be attacking or harming you.  As well, doing damage will cause a predictable, known reaction, which will take time for the guy to complete, which will give you the time you need to do more damage before that attacker can recover.  As long as that person is reacting to damage, he is not harming you.  Only areas of the body that can be easily damaged are targeted.  Eyes, ears, throat, groin, shin bones, ankles, collar bones, bladder, kidneys, ect... Doing damage is the only focus of TFT and the only way you're going to survive a life and death conflict.  This applies in a one-on-one conflict with an unarmed attacker, a one-on-one conflict with an armed attacker, or a conflict involving multiple attackers.  In any of those situations you attack exactly the same, nothing changes.  It's not the knife in the hand of the attacker that is the real danger to you, it's the ability of the attacker to think and move that is the danger.  Shut down the ability of the person to think and move and whatever weapon they're wielding will no longer be a threat to you.  With multiple attackers, you do the same damage in the same way, but you keep moving and you do that damage multiple times.

There is a 2 day class given that will teach enough TFT to maim or kill a human being in a life or death struggle under most any circumstances.  Mat time comprises the bulk of time spent during the class.  They hold nothing back.  Learning to maim and kill are among the first things you'll learn.  They build on each thing they teach until students are "free fighting" with so many targeting options that no two are fighting the same way at any given time.  Because they teach principles rather than specific techniques, what you learn will stay with you for a lifetime.  One interesting thing to note was that when they brought the weapons out, plastic knives, plastic guns, and plastic clubs, most students wound up tossing them to the side in favor of keeping their hands free because they could do more damage more quickly with their hands free.  Again, the one and only focus of this class was learning to maim and kill.  That's it.  Because this is the only focus, you tend to learn it quickly.

I'm not going to tell you that the size, strength, and speed of the other person does not matter.  It absolutely does make a difference.  If the person is big, you're not going to be able to manhandle him unless you are near his size.  If he's strong and he hits you, it's going to hurt more than if he was weak.  If he's fast, he's going to hit you quickly and many times.  However, when it comes to your one and only job, which is to damage him, these things do not change anything about the way you fight.  Big, strong, or fast, you smash his throat and he's going to die, you gouge his eyeballs from his skull and he's blinded, you break his shin or ankle and he can't walk.  The moves to accomplish the damage you're seeking to do are uncomplicated.  Who can't use their forearm to strike the throat?  Who can't slap an ear with a cupped hand?  Stomping a shin isn't difficult at all.  If you weigh 100 pounds or more, you have enough weight to accomplish the damage you're seeking to do.  Putting your body weight behind your attacks is how you roll with this.  Your one and only focus is to damage the vulnerable areas of the body.  As such, identifying and attacking any of those areas that are open is not a difficult thing to do.  Something is always open, always, always, always.  No one can protect every vulnerable area of their body at the same time.  When you are attacking you are not fearful or worrying about the final outcome, you're focused and viewing the other person as a meat-machine with weak points to target and take out.  You know what needs to be done and you just do it.  Period.  End of story.  If you can still think and move, you can maim or kill the person.  No matter how badly the fight is going for you, as long as you can think and function you're still in the fight. The moment you've caused damage you are in control of the conflict and you can continue to cause more damage until the other person is no longer a threat, no matter how badly the conflict has gone up to that point.

A few of the other people who took the class with me were martial artists.  When the class was over, they felt they more than got their money's worth.  The women who took the class, and there were seven of them, felt they more than got their money's worth as well.  Everyone came out knowing exactly what to do and how to do it should they ever have to fight for their lives.  No one was injured during the class, though we all had bumps and bruises to show and most of us had sore muscles.  The class is taught responsibly and methodically by qualified instructors.

The class costs about $1,000.00 to attend, not including hotel or meals.  Sound expensive?  It is and it isn't.  You could easily spend that on a martial art in a year's time and not come away with the knowledge or ability you will gain in a 2 day class of TFT.  Maybe there is some exception out there I'm not aware of, some martial art class that will bring you up to speed and make you effective within a year.  But in my experience, having done both martial arts and TFT, you'll get more from the TFT class, assuming your goal is to be the one who survives a life and death conflict in the real world.  My wife will be going for her class before this year is out.  I wouldn't be sending her if I didn't know this class is worth the money.

They also offer DVD's that teach this.  The DVD's are cheaper, but the instructors in the class will teach things you might miss in the videos, like using your body weight to plow through the targets.  I'll also be purchasing the videos so my wife and I can continue to learn more after she's taken the class, since we'll both know how to train at that point.

After taking the class I realized not only how vulnerable another person's body is, but how vulnerable my body is as well.  Knowing that, I will avoid a physical confrontation like the plague.  However, if the moment comes when I or my family is attacked and there is no other choice, I'm quite capable of doing the damage necessary to end the whole thing.  Also, the legal ramifications of using TFT are extreme.  I would never willingly provoke a conflict with some loud mouth at a bar or sporting event to teach the guy a lesson.  TFT is to defend your life using extreme violence.  Nothing else.  If your goal is to be able to defend yourself and your family in just about any circumstances, and you're willing to take a life if the situation calls for it, then TFT is well worth your time and money.  If your goal is anything but this and you're not willing to take a life under any circumstances, TFT is not for you.

This is an article written by Matt Furey.  I agree with his take on TFT.
http://www.mattfurey.com/weapons.html