Author Topic: Beginner hunter.Entry level .308?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline proforguns

• Fledgling Prepper
Beginner hunter.Entry level .308?
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
Anybody own a Remington 770 in .308 Im looking to get into hunting and found this gun cheap .If this gun isnt any good can anyone give me some suggestions on one that is?Ill probably get into it but want to start cheap and then maybe upgrade later if my wife can stand me shooting bambi.Thanks

Offline Rick9Plus

• Prepper
Re: Beginner hunter.Entry level .308?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
If it puts the bullet where you are aiming, it will do the job.

I just posted the following to another thread, but it might help you, too:

I just stared deer hunting a couple of years ago. Didn't want to spend much money on a rifle in case I didn't like hunting. So I bought a $99 Mosin Nagant 91/30, installed a $40 scope, bought 20 rounds of ammo (7.62x54R... approximately .308) for $16 and have brought down two nice whitetails in the past two years. Both shots at under 100 yards, and I found out that I LOVE hunting.

Spend whatever you want on a rifle. Feel good about it. But there is no need to spend a lot on a rifle to put venison in your freezer.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:04 PM »
You mention .308, but for an inexpensive rifle that's brought down more deer than I believe all other calibers combined, you would be hard pressed to look wrong at a .30-30 lever action.  Around here they come up in the papers every few weeks for $250-300 with a scope, less without.  Post deer season is also a good time to go looking for one at your gun shops used.  Similar prices, usually checked over by their gunsmith.

I also find a .30-30 to have less perceived recoil than the .308s I've handled.

Just a thought.

As for the 770, I haven't shot that model in particular but have spent a goodly amount of time with a left hand 700BDL in .30-06 and would highly recommend that rifle.  Never handled a Remington that let me down so if it's a good price and you can readily afford it, do it.

Offline derrickp

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »
I have a 770  .308 , I bought it much for the same reasons as you found it at a reasonable price for just getting into hunting. Have used it for 2 seasons now and plan on using it for years to come.

Offline wap18

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
savage edge,rifle and scope combo for around 350.00.they maybe on sale at bass pro shop right know.hard to beat for entry level rifle.Thanks,WAP