Author Topic: How to get out of a consumer marketing trap with a straight razor  (Read 19092 times)

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
Re: How to get out of a consumer marketing trap with a straight razor
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
I escaped the consumer marketing trap by never shaving down to skin.  I don't have sensitive skin, I just prefer having at least some facial hair.  I have an electric razor for trimming up every once and a while.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2012, 12:34:15 PM »
@ttubravesrock,

My preference is the same from late fall to early spring.  I just let it grow, and have a beard I trim with the same trimmers I trim my hair with.  During summer, however, I prefer shorter hair on my head, and none on my face.  It's seasonal for me.

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2012, 08:32:59 AM »
Doc,  Williams is a tried and true old standby puck soap that can be found cheaply in the shaving sections of many drugstores. If you want more variety go to an online shaving store. Then there is a whole world of handmade soaps.

I usually put a puck or odd shaped soap pieces in the mug and then melt some glycerine soap to pour over the top. This gives a perfect fit to the mug.
Howard Wallace

~~~Whatever floats your goat~~~

Offline x462

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
I don't use a straight razor, but I use a safety razor w/ replaceable blades like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-178-Classic-Straight/dp/B000LY2AKI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343071412&sr=8-2&keywords=merkur+razor

About $30 for the razor, and about $2 per dozen for blades Walmart.  I can get a month from a blade, at least.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
Thanks Howard, I'll pick one up Wednesday.   Can't wait to try it.
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
I have to admit that when I have seen this thread come up I related it to something entirely different then shaving... 

I'm only on my second Williams Puck having gone from the "consumer marketing trap" just over a year ago.  The Williams Soap is about a $1.60 or so in the local store.  I've been using the store brand blades and they are okay for my needs for now.

At some point I wouldn't mind adding another safety razor to the box, I only have the one that is 'stolen' from my FIL's.  He's go to electric and hasn't used for some time.

I've seen some of the safety razors at places like a Peddler's Mall - All kinds of things of old there. Ebay is,... eh.. ok, but can be pricy.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »
I've been using shaving soap and mug with brush for decades and still do unless I'm traveling.  I have a use a straight razor when I have the time to take the time, otherwise I use a CostCo disposable.

There was nothing like the first time I brought the straight razor up to my face!
z

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »
I have used a mug and brush for over 35 years.

I am working up to the straight razor thing.

I see them for from $6 to $60. I am sure the cheap ones are junk. Plus then there's the strop and the grind stone.

I am sure I will make it, but the idea is taking a little getting used to.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline RobertE2E

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
yep,,,,gonna have to make the switch.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
www.thebeardly.com

Read through this site to get out of a consumer marketing trap.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
This past weekend I was introduced to I Coloniali shave creme - about 18 per tube. Holy cow, I have been using various cremes and soaps for years, and this one blows the others away (yes, DR Harris, Trumper, all glycerines, etc.) I am not sure how long the 18 tube will last, but a little sure goes a loooonggg way from my first experiments using a badger brush. If you have a good shop near you, its well worth checking out.

So far I have tried it with both a Dovo straight, and a DE Merkur - fantastic.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I Realized that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and asked him to Forgive me.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »
This past weekend I was introduced to I Coloniali shave creme - about 18 per tube. Holy cow, I have been using various cremes and soaps for years, and this one blows the others away (yes, DR Harris, Trumper, all glycerines, etc.) I am not sure how long the 18 tube will last, but a little sure goes a loooonggg way from my first experiments using a badger brush. If you have a good shop near you, its well worth checking out.

So far I have tried it with both a Dovo straight, and a DE Merkur - fantastic.

Almost Christmas, so about 2 months of use now. Still loving the I Coloniali, about 1/4 of the tube gone. So it goes a little faster than others, but the love is much greater. I am using it in about dime sized with a good brush in a wooden wide mouth bowl to get the proper lather texture (for those interested, the proper texture is the consistency of meringue, i.e. standing up in little mountains on its own when whipped into lather by your brush in the bowl.) I shave daily full face minus goatee, and probably am slightly wasteful in using to much (i.e. the dimes worth.) STRONG BUY recommendation by me.

As an aside, while shopping in an antique mall over Thanksgiving (thanks for that sidetrack honey...) I picked up two old razors, one a Solingen of unknown manufacture, and one a British firm I have dated to early 20th Century (name escapes me as I type this at the office.) I intend on regrinding/honing them and trying them out over the weekend (yes, they have been on my to-do projects for a month.)
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I Realized that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and asked him to Forgive me.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »
Almost Christmas, so about 2 months of use now. Still loving the I Coloniali, about 1/4 of the tube gone. So it goes a little faster than others, but the love is much greater. I am using it in about dime sized with a good brush in a wooden wide mouth bowl to get the proper lather texture (for those interested, the proper texture is the consistency of meringue, i.e. standing up in little mountains on its own when whipped into lather by your brush in the bowl.) I shave daily full face minus goatee, and probably am slightly wasteful in using to much (i.e. the dimes worth.) STRONG BUY recommendation by me.

is this the creme one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Coloniali-Rituals-Shave-Cream-Rhubarb/dp/B0068RWZ7K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355435761&sr=8-4&keywords=Coloniali+shave

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
I'm slowing working my way from safety razor to straight.
practice practice practice go slow.
i figure i can knock out a couple of skills for the 13 in 13.
shaving,first aid,wound management,suturing,and the ever popular self- administer blood transfusions. ;)

"i know why all the crazed killers favor a straight razor for their weapons".
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
I'm slowing working my way from safety razor to straight.
practice practice practice go slow.
i figure i can knock out a couple of skills for the 13 in 13.
shaving,first aid,wound management,suturing,and the ever popular self- administer blood transfusions. ;)

:clap:
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Dredrum

• Prepper
  • student of history
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
I use a stainless steel camping cup for my shaving mug..flat bottom so its sits anywhere..small curve on the inside so you can get all with the brush and if you drop it it doesnt break..(important for us shave in the shower guys)...I just drop a new puck in when the old one is almost gone
Still clinging desperately to my guns and religion

<

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2012, 11:44:17 PM »
is this the creme one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Coloniali-Rituals-Shave-Cream-Rhubarb/dp/B0068RWZ7K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355435761&sr=8-4&keywords=Coloniali+shave

Hey Archer - that is definitely the product, but unsure if its the same "flavor" I believe mine has the scent of lavender, but perhaps rhubarb as well??? Really enjoying it! I paid 1.50 less than on Amazon at the local mom & pop, but just now noticed it went up in price on their website (unless they just charge less at the store.)

Try it - I love it on my face! (My skin = coarse beard, slightly oily skin, can withstand rough treatment, and only dry out not breakout.)

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »
I've been using a DE razor for about 6-8 months now. I love the inexpensive blades and the close shave. Can anyone suggest a shave cream that is unscented though?

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »
I've been using a DE razor for about 6-8 months now. I love the inexpensive blades and the close shave. Can anyone suggest a shave cream that is unscented though?

There are many soaps/pucks that are unscented. The Nivea unscented cream is pretty good. There may definitely be others, but I have tried Nivea and thought it was decent.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Has anybody actually tried shaving their legs with a straight razor?  Does a straight razor cause fewer ingrown hairs?  I'm intrigued, as I hate shaving my legs because I always seem to end up with a rash and ingrown hairs. 
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
...Can anyone suggest a shave cream that is unscented though?
I like Williams Mug Shaving Soap. http://www.cvs.com/search/_/N-0?searchTerm=williams+mug+soap&pt=global
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »
Has anybody actually tried shaving their legs with a straight razor?  Does a straight razor cause fewer ingrown hairs?  I'm intrigued, as I hate shaving my legs because I always seem to end up with a rash and ingrown hairs.

I get ingrown hairs on my neck if I shave with a safety razor but it is not a problem for me when using a straight razor.
Howard Wallace

~~~Whatever floats your goat~~~

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I second Howard I don't get ingrown hairs but every once in a great while now vs almost every time I shaved with my Mach 3 safety razor.

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Okay fellas, what's the best solution for my shaving issue?  I've been shaving (if you can call it that) for over 20 years.  I don't have a full enough beard to grow it out.  However, the hair that I do have is very coarse.....like bristles on a scrub brush.  I have tried various electric razors and various disposables. 

When I shave, the blades tend to pull or yank out hairs, rather than cut. This even happens with brand new blades!   I can lather up, allow soaking/softening time.   I've tried going with the grain and against the grain.    I've tried dry shaves.   I've tried different brands.  I've even tried various electric razors.

Pulling the hairs out causes sores.  I think it's ingrown hairs (the regrowth of a new hair folical) and what looks like an awful, painful cyst for a few weeks.

My solution has been to pull the guard off an electric hair trimmer and do the 5 o'clock shadow shave once or twice a week.  And I still have to be super slow and careful because the trimmer will still sometimes snag and pull at the hairs (even a brand new one with or without oil).

Will a straight razor solve this problem?  Are there any other suggestions?
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
take a shower before hand? it softens up my whiskers

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
After reading this I am in the market to give it a try.

So this may be a odd question but any women out there use the straight razor for legs? And an opinion on using it? couple of reasons. Need to sell the idea and just need an angle. Over $100 bucks vs under 20 for disposable. Then there is the disposal vs none. If I were to switch...

1 She will stop going through so many razors because she uses one too. Not faulting just more surface area.
OR
2 She will stop using my razor because she forgets to get more of hers and now she cant use straight razor.

Making an assumption that under arms are not using a straight razor for the same reason not shaving head. You cannot see?
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
take a shower before hand? it softens up my whiskers

Yeah, tried that too.  I have noticed that it does soften them up and help. My coarse hairs still jam and catch in the disposables, and snag in the electrics.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
Yeah, tried that too.  I have noticed that it does soften them up and help. My coarse hairs still jam and catch in the disposables, and snag in the electrics.

Might I suggest going OLD school - not just shaving in the shower, nor just splashing ones face with water - the way the classic straight razor wet shave is done... I too have 80 grit facial hair. (By the way, if you ever have the opportunity and funds to get this done at a true old school place, do it, it is a sublime experience http://www.truefittandhill.com/barbershop/services-pricelist.html!!!)

Classic instructions:
1. Run scalding hot water, literally to the point of painful for you to touch.
2. Run hand towel (NO, not a washcloth, this has to be a large towel) under the scalding water.
3. Wring towel, and proceed to place the middle of the towel on the point of your chin, then wrap ends up around your face/cheeks/forehead.
4. Wait 120-180 seconds until skin peels (I joke, not quite that hot) wait until the towel cools, remove, and set nearby.
5. Run scalding hot water again.
6. Place pre-shave oil or lotion on face.
7. Repeat scalding towel on face procedure
8. Shave using sharpest blade and best lather possible
9. Use horrifically stinging alcohol based aftershave. NOTE - this instruction is controversial. Modern skincare (mostly based on safety razor use) says alcohol dries your skin and leaves you looking older. Old school says alcohol seals and sanitizes small cuts, refreshes, and allows clear pores, giving hair more opportunity to grow out as opposed to ingrown. My 2 cents, I don't care about looking older with slightly drier skin, I have course hair that can grow in and wish to avoid it if possible, I like the feeling and smell, and my razor is so sharp I worry much less about it anyhow... If you like alcohol aftershave I am recommending http://www.captainschoicestore.com/ local guy, straight razor nut, great product, reasonable price. Particularly, I love his super extra strength rear end whupping product http://shop.captainschoicestore.com/Cat-O-Nine-Tails-The-Cat.htm Disclaimer - no affiliation other than an extremely satisfied customer.

Try the old school, it solves a lot of problems caused by modern techniques/science/crap products!!!

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
After reading this I am in the market to give it a try.

So this may be a odd question but any women out there use the straight razor for legs? And an opinion on using it? couple of reasons. Need to sell the idea and just need an angle. Over $100 bucks vs under 20 for disposable. Then there is the disposal vs none. If I were to switch...

1 She will stop going through so many razors because she uses one too. Not faulting just more surface area.
OR
2 She will stop using my razor because she forgets to get more of hers and now she cant use straight razor.

Making an assumption that under arms are not using a straight razor for the same reason not shaving head. You cannot see?

When I told my mom I wanted to try a straight razor she told me a story of how my dad used to shave her legs with a straight razor.  This was when he was in nursing school in the military and he did it to practice for shaving patients.  She loved how it felt and it lasted a little longer than a conventional shave.  This was having someone else do it though.  When I shaved my own legs for cycling I used a disposable and would consistently get a few leftovers behind the knees.  I would be wary of straight razoring my own legs, but if you are more confident, then have at it.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »
AG - I found that if I didn't adjust my DE I find that it will snag and pull.  Also if I don't use a fresh blade it'll do that.

My DE has a dial from 1 to 9,.. the longer it's been, the higher the number I need to dial up to.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."