Author Topic: My Excaliber Dehydrator paid for itself in one day  (Read 12610 times)

Offline theadob

• Survivor
My Excaliber Dehydrator paid for itself in one day
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »
Last week, I got the Excaliber that I had been saving for over the last 6 months.  I was dehydrating some apples when my daughter yells from her room.  The expensive phone that I had just gotten for her fell out of her pocket and into......the toilet.

She pulled it out and cleaned it but water is running out of it.  Its ruined.  I called the phone company and they want $210 to replace it.   Hmmmm......what to do, what to do.  My daughter says, "hey Dad, couldn't we just put it in the dehydrator?"   Brilliant. I took the back off the phone, took out the battery and laid all but the back of the phone onto one of the trays with the apples. 9 hours later as I am pulling out what used to be 40lbs of apples, we pull out her phone all nice and toasty.

She powered it up and boom it worked.  The phone has been working now for 5 days.  Her facebook status that night said, "I can't make fun of my dad's dehydrator any more."  I had been getting a lot of grief about it from her and her mom.

My excaliber cost me $160 because i bought a refurb unit.  I have a savings of $50 now. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: My Excaliber Dehydrator paid for itself in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
ha!  glad it was useful!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
Great use of a great tool!

Offline bsutter

• Prepper
  • Photo - Kaiser Jeep M185A3
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »
So now you keep the phone in a Mason jar with an O2 pack??

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

:D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
Oh! Good idea! A backup phone!

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
My excalibur just arrived today!  Yippee!

Offline bsutter

• Prepper
  • Photo - Kaiser Jeep M185A3
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
Are you going to create a backup phone too??

Offline Nick Ferguson

• Prepper
    • Homegrown Liberty
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Actually if you don't have a dehydrator and your phone or any other electronic device gets wet you can put it in a bag or a mason jar with rice for a couple days, maybe a week and the rice will absorb all the moisture. I did that with a phone and it worked. Of course if you try to turn it on before getting the moisture out it'll be more likely to short out so make sure you don't turn the device on before you get it dried out  real well. Works for headphones that go through the wash too.. ask me how I know :P

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
Terrific story. Good thinking. Thanks for sharing.

Offline cam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
You know old cell phones do come in handy. I use one as an alarm clock. Even if the service is off to it they still auto update time. You can still call 911 on a deactivated cell phone too.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Actually if you don't have a dehydrator and your phone or any other electronic device gets wet you can put it in a bag or a mason jar with rice for a couple days, maybe a week and the rice will absorb all the moisture. I did that with a phone and it worked. Of course if you try to turn it on before getting the moisture out it'll be more likely to short out so make sure you don't turn the device on before you get it dried out  real well. Works for headphones that go through the wash too.. ask me how I know :P

I did the same thing with my son's ipod when he accidentally let it go through the washing machine (was in his pocket and went through the entire wash/rinse/spin cycle).  When he pulled it out of the washer, I told him not to turn it on while it's wet or else he could fry the components.  After keeping it completely buried for a week in rice, I took it out and powered it on...and it worked!  It's been over year now since it happened, and that ipod still works as good as new.  BTW, rather than tossing out the "used" rice, I used it to make a heat/cold pack.

Offline rickc

• Prepper
    • CandA Media
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »
We have had our Excalibur for a year and a half.  It has become the single most useful piece of equipment we have for food preservation.  We bought the 9-tray unit with the timer.  During our peak time of year, it runs for days straight drying a lot of our garden produce.  We also went out to a nearby orchard and bought a bushel of apples (Jonagold and Honeycrisp).  It took a few days to get them all dried and packaged.

We also buy frozen vegetables at the store when they are on sale and dehydrate those.  It is a lot less expensive than buying freeze-dried, even though we have a few of those, too.  I am preparing a presentation on this for a prepper group just starting up in our area.

Enjoy!

Offline RidgebackDad

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Virtual Monkey Wrench
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »
We finally broke down and bought one a couple of weeks ago.  It's been running almost every day since.  As a matter of fact, we've been buying so much local (super cheap) produce, that we had to buy another Excalibur just to help us get it all done before Thanksgiving!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
We finally broke down and bought one a couple of weeks ago.  It's been running almost every day since.  As a matter of fact, we've been buying so much local (super cheap) produce, that we had to buy another Excalibur just to help us get it all done before Thanksgiving!

Nice!  I know I love mine too and it ran almost continuously throughout September and October. 

Offline RidgebackDad

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Virtual Monkey Wrench
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
We also buy frozen vegetables at the store when they are on sale and dehydrate those.  It is a lot less expensive than buying freeze-dried, even though we have a few of those, too.  I am preparing a presentation on this for a prepper group just starting up in our area.

Before we bought a ton of local produce, we were doing the same thing with the frozen vegetables.  It sure makes it easy and is *SO* much cheaper than the freeze-dried.

I absolutely *LOVE* loading the Excalibur after dinner and getting up the next morning and vacuum packing the previous day's work, then getting everything prepped and run another load that finishes about dinner time.

What a GREAT device!  Wish I would have bought these a few years ago instead of wasting my time with the round dehydrators.  Oh well, live and learn!

Offline Roseann

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
I just LOVE this story! I am also making a mental note for the next time someone in my house drops their expensive smart phone in the toilet...LOL

the Excaliber ROCKS!