Author Topic: Low-Carb, no Sugar food storage preps?  (Read 15504 times)

Possenti2264

Low-Carb, no Sugar food storage preps?
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
Until last week, when I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, Our food preps were rice, pasta, canned veggies and soups.  Now that I'm hypoglycemic, I can't eat rice, pasta, corn, potatoes. 

Any ideas for long term storage foods with no bad sugars and low-carb?

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Re: Low-Carb, no Sugar food storage preps?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
Until last week, when I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, Our food preps were rice, pasta, canned veggies and soups.  Now that I'm hypoglycemic, I can't eat rice, pasta, corn, potatoes.  

Any ideas for long term storage foods with no bad sugars and low-carb?

I'm in the same boat.  I still store the other stuff I can't eat, because my family can.  I mainly go for beans, chili, canned meats (tuna, chicken, spam), canned veggies like green beans.  Pickles are good too  Also, you can vaccum seal and freeze italian dry salami.  Salamis can store a long time in a cool place (not sure how long, need to follow up on that).  I also store a lot of vitamins, because I assume in a disaster I wont be able to get fresh veggies, where I get a lot of my vitamins from.  If you can stomach it, dried fish stores a long time.

The biggest thing that you are going to find is the cost of preps go up.  Can't just buy a giant bag of rice or a massive case of mac & cheese and call it good.

And your HyPOglycimic?  or HyPERglycimic?

I'm T2 Diabetic.  I control it (no meds) all through a low carb high protien diet.  A1C usually ranges between 5.4 and 5.7 (last one was 5.5).

Good news is, when you stop eating carbs, you lose weight. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:13:25 PM by Serellan »

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
Welcome to the low carb world.  I am sure your body will thank you.

In the mean time, check out the pemmican thread I posted in the diy section.  I am on the iPad right now so I can't copy and paste too well.  I'll post more ideas later.

Possenti2264

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »
I'm HYPOglycemic. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  I'm 6'2" and 178lbs soaking wet, shoes on and two concealed carry pistols.  Losing weight is what I don't need, and I'm slightly worried that I will start dropping weight. 

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
Being HyPO myself I can say this. Don't get too hung up on the 'official' diet. Yes you need to cut back on rice and pasta but as long as you don't need to loose weight (and you don't) then keep them in your preps and keep eating them, just not as often. I have rice or pasta at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Potatoes I eat several times a week but in moderation. I eat a lot of meat which is one reason I have a lot of canned meats and I eat a lot of veggies and multigrain bread. If you consider that I eat rice or pasta once or twice a week, potatoes probably at least 3 times per week I'm having all those bad things and they aren't hurting my blood sugar at all. My only problem is trying to keep it up high enough to where I don't feel bad. I assume you have a glucose monitor so play with the diet a bit, see what works and what doesn't and base your preps on that.

Possenti2264

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
My glucose monitor is just how I feel.  So far, I haven't been able to fill myself for longer than an hour.  I just feel unsatisfied. 

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
My glucose monitor is just how I feel.  So far, I haven't been able to fill myself for longer than an hour.  I just feel unsatisfied. 

For me (again, T2D), I mainly used my GM to judge the differing affects of foods on my BS.  I rarely use it anymore unless I feel like my BS is low and I need a shot of juice.

For me, feeling satisfied was filling up on the foods I really liked.  I ate a LOT of brats (too many, now I'm sick of em).  Get out the spices, that helps a lot too.  I also 'treat' myself.  Eat the veggie plate first for lunch, and then finish up with a piece of fried chicken for "dessert".

Believe it or not, you do get used to the "replacement" sugar foods, like sugar free pudding or jellow.  They take the edge off.  Just don't eat too much, because the sugar alchohols that they use to replace sugar causes diareahha.  I had to give up the "Glucerna" diabetes bars because they played havoc with my digestion.

Possenti2264

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »
Yeah, a big added bonus to my hypoglycemia is that I've been lactose intolerant for 15 years. 

Hell, I'm still learning to live without coffee.  I think a big portion of this whole deal is learning what I can eat and how much.  At this point, I don't want to feel sick, so I avoid everything. 

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »
Actually you need to pick up a glucose monitor, even a cheapy from WalMart just to judge what diffferent things do to your blood sugar. Use it when you first get up and then approx 2 hours after a meal. The diets handed out by doctors and nutritionists are average and will sort of suffice but you can adjust to your own metabolism and not be hungry all the time if you learn your body.

Possenti2264

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »
I'll check it out at the store tonight. 

I think the biggest cause of my hunger is the recipes I've found online for Hypos are minuscule portions.  A snack = 3 squares of a graham cracker or an apple?  Get real.  I'm a growing boy.  I have a reputation of being able to "eat like he's going to the electric chair", so I can hardly function with these little "snacks". 

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
I'll check it out at the store tonight. 

I think the biggest cause of my hunger is the recipes I've found online for Hypos are minuscule portions.  A snack = 3 squares of a graham cracker or an apple?  Get real.  I'm a growing boy.  I have a reputation of being able to "eat like he's going to the electric chair", so I can hardly function with these little "snacks". 

That's why I ignore all that shit and eat whatever portions of what I want, but just cut the carbs out.  I can chow down on as much "pure" chicken breast and brocolli as you.  I don't touch apples or graham crackers.  Why would you eat a graham cracker?  It's all sugars.

Also, at least for diabetics, it is important to always eat protiens WITH carbs.  So if you want a piece of toast, for example, put peanut butter on it.  Protiens slow the absorbtion of sugars, so they don't slam into your system.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
That's why I ignore all that shit and eat whatever portions of what I want, but just cut the carbs out.  I can chow down on as much "pure" chicken breast and brocolli as you.  I don't touch apples or graham crackers.  Why would you eat a graham cracker?  It's all sugars.

Also, at least for diabetics, it is important to always eat protiens WITH carbs.  So if you want a piece of toast, for example, put peanut butter on it.  Protiens slow the absorbtion of sugars, so they don't slam into your system.

Eating protiens with carbs is as important to a hypoglycemic. I'll match you guys on the chicken breasts and brocolli and add in some brown rice. My advice is ignore the quantity suggestions. My Dad was a diabetic at 5'10" and 134 pounds and when the doctor first put him on the diet he followed it religiously. A few weeks later he started passing out, went back to the doctor who ran some tests and told him he was literally starving to death since he had a fast metabolism. Had him go home and eat mashed potatoes and gravy.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:32 PM »
I am thrilled to see this thread. It is a very important consideration to make for food preps. +1 for starting it.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (hyperglycemic) in June of this year. Since that time I have read almost every major point about nutrition and diabetes I could get my hands on. I am also regulating my blood sugars with lifestyle changes (i.e. Exercise, and eating right). I went to a class at our Diabetes Center at the hospital where I work and learned a lot there too.

You need to remember that it is not that you can not eat certain things. It is not that you can not have sugar or carbs. It means that you have to regulate your intake of TOTAL carbs into your diet. You can have rice and pastas, but you need to know the serving sizes and the carbs they give you. I am not sure if you have talked to your doctor about the carb intake that is right for you, but I try to stay between 180-240 carbs a day. I try to stay as close to 180 as possible.

I have made an excel spreadsheet that helps me keep track of total carbs, fiber, and calories for each of the items I purchase for my food preps. I have made the file available to anyone located here: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5DBqMurGVkbNzg1ZjU0MTMtMWU0Zi00MzRkLTliZTgtYjJhZmJmZTg1MTQ5&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

You can subtract fiber from total carbs to see the total carb intake you have in a meal or for the day. Its all about serving sizes and regulating how much you intake. Now here is the dilemma. I don't want to contradict Serellan, but the information I read about and heard from the class was that total net carbs directly effect blood sugars. Calories do not. Something could be high in carbs and low in calories. Calories control weight. Carbs control blood sugars. Also, something could be high in calories and low in net carbs. I have seen this in the various foods that I eat. I keep track of my intake on an app I have on my iPhone, but you can do something similar to that with a notebook and a pencil.

Another note - keeping low carbs is not enough. During my first two weeks where I regulated carb intake I saw a minimal drop in my blood sugars. However, when I started to exercise I saw them come back to closer to normal almost immediately. This, of course, would apply mostly to Type 2 Diabetics. Type 1 is a whole other story.

I can proudly say that in three months I have lost 30 pounds, brought my blood sugars from 160+ to an average of 95, and my last HgbA1C came back last week from a 7.2 down to 6.0 (not as good as Serellan's, but I am working on it)

That is why I devised this spreadsheet so that I could track my intake easier should I need to know the carb and fiber intake along with calories it gives me. I stock about 6 months worth of multi-vitamins as well. I keep a spare glucometer in my FAK, one in my EDC, and I keep gluco tablets in all of those as well. Though Type 2 Diabetics don't usually have lows, it is possible, and so I have them available just in case. I would definitely recommend anyone who has to take their blood sugar have a spare glucometer with back up batteries, at least, in their EDC.

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
Here are a few more ideas for low carb preps (these are all non-refrigerated/non-frozen):

diy stuff:
pemmican - http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=20528.0
jerky
biltong
dehydrated fruit - careful on serving sizes
dehydrated veggies
sealed, rendered fat - will stay good for a year or so
nuts in the shell - again, careful on serving sizes
raw, unwashed eggs - will stay good for about 6 months thanks to anti-microbial slime that hens produce

commercial stuff:
canned fish - tuna, salmon, mackerel, etc
dehydrated meats
dried seaweed - not much on calories, but adds flavor and tons of vitamins and minerals

I'm sure others can think of plenty more.

On to unsolicited dietary advice...

I know the vast majority of people will disagree with me about what constitutes a good diet, and that's OK.  If you don't like it, feel free to ignore it :).

In short, what makes an optimal diet is a wide variety of fruits & veggies, some meat, and plenty of healthy fat.  Fat should make up the bulk of your calories.  Plants should probably make up the bulk of your volume (unless you are really into eating organ meats).  Avoid grains and legumes and fake sugars like the poisons they are.  Just like you should get your fruits and veggies that haven't been messed with chemically and have been raised in a biologically appropriate way, you should get your meat and fat from animals that haven't been messed with chemically and have been raised in a biologically appropriate way.

Really, that's about it.  If you eat the stuff that supports your health instead of attacking it, you can eat as much as you want and not worry about portion sizes.

Possenti2264

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
Couldn't view the Google Docs spreadsheet.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Yeah, a big added bonus to my hypoglycemia is that I've been lactose intolerant for 15 years. 

Hell, I'm still learning to live without coffee.  I think a big portion of this whole deal is learning what I can eat and how much.  At this point, I don't want to feel sick, so I avoid everything. 

OMG, I cannot even entertain the idea of living without coffee.  :o

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
Couldn't view the Google Docs spreadsheet.

Hmmm...I left it open for everyone to get ahold of. It said in Google that anyone who had the link could download it. Do you know of another way I can get this to everyone since Google seems to be unreliable?

Possenti2264

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
Maybe look for a "Share" function instead of copying straight from your address bar.  (You probably tried that already, but redundancy is part of the plan, right?)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
Maybe look for a "Share" function instead of copying straight from your address bar.  (You probably tried that already, but redundancy is part of the plan, right?)

I sent an email to the address you listed when you signed up for the forum. In the attachment is the file.

Possenti2264

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
Thanks ColdHaven.  I got it.

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »

I'm no nutritionalist, but, I want to share something with you.

I'm 43, and just got the first marginally-bad health numbers in my life.  A pal of mine, he got the same numbers (first non-average blood pressure, first elevations of tri-glycerides) and a funny thing happened: He got a contract to fly a big, funny old biplane (Antonov-2) down in Costa Rica.

He started living primitively at the airfield.

He dropped 100lbs in a year.

All his medical problems went away.  All of them.

So, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, be ready to convert from "Good Life=No Life" mode to "living like we used to" mode, and talk to your doctor about what meds can be tailed off, specifically what meds are DANGEROUS to cold-turkey.  Because, when we run out of meds, for one reason or another (joke: the gal in Sex In The City 2 who couldn't bring her hormones into Abu Dhabi) we will unintentionally cold-turkey out.

That's what Katrina has taught us at least!

G.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:51:33 PM »
Good for your friend Greg. The only nice part about hypoglycemia is that there is no medication for it, you have to learn what you can and can't eat and it is very very different for different individuals. Even glucose levels, I keep reading that a blood glucose of 60 isn't dangerous which may be true for the average person (whoever mr/ms average may be) but I get weak and shaky and pass out so I try to keep mine up around 80

Possenti2264

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »
I don't take any medications, I can't afford to lose any weight (6'2", 174lbs).  I heard more exercise might help as well.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:55 PM »

You can subtract fiber from total carbs to see the total carb intake you have in a meal or for the day. Its all about serving sizes and regulating how much you intake. Now here is the dilemma. I don't want to contradict Serellan, but the information I read about and heard from the class was that total net carbs directly effect blood sugars. Calories do not. Something could be high in carbs and low in calories. Calories control weight. Carbs control blood sugars. Also, something could be high in calories and low in net carbs.

Yes, sugars don't control weight, calories do.  However, when I switched to my diet, I lost weight.  Mainly because of portions.  You go out to dinner and get a steak.  That steak usually comes with a starch.  I would pass on the starch.  I go to Red Robin, and get a burger.  I don't eat the bun or any fries.  Regular soda is off the table. Etc.  Etc. 

I was 205 when diagnosed.  I bottomed out at 146, and now am a comftorable 155.  And that is without an exercise regimin (although I do get more excercise now, because I feel better and don't get as tired hauling around an extra 50 lbs).

Before:

Now:

Possenti2264

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
It looks to me like the chicks liked you better at 205.   ;D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
It looks to me like the chicks liked you better at 205.   ;D

Thats cold, man.  :-\

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
<snipped>
sealed, rendered fat - will stay good for a year or so
<more snippage>
Fat should make up the bulk of your calories. 

As people may have guessed from my handle, I'm into the Paleo way of eating. When I decreased my carb intake, I, too, had that nagging, never-satisfied feeling...UNTIL I added coconut oil to my diet. Seems I wasn't getting enough fat before then, and adding the coconut oil has made all the difference. It's kind of gross, but I eat a heaping tablespoon of the oil every morning (in my neck of the woods, the oil is usually kind of goopy/viscous, but if temperatures are really warm, the oil can be fully liquid...in which case, I take two tablespoons of it!). I stock up on organic, expeller-pressed coconut oil from the health food store for my preps. It's pricey, but you can get case discounts. Coconut oil may be worth a try for those looking to fill the carb void.

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Sadly, I can't stand coconut in any form.  So I end up eating lots of lard and bacon grease along with the more usual avocados, olives, the occasional heavy cream and butter.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
That's gotta be hell on your cholesterol.

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »
Hopefully this won't hijack too much.

Cholesterol is one of those very popular, yet misunderstood concepts.  Without going into a very boring book, there are three main types of cholesterol that we are concerned with - hdl, LDL pattern a, and LDL pattern b.  LDL pattern b is the type that fills in ruptures in blood vessel walls, which can eventually lead to clogging.  Saturated fats increase hdl and LDL pattern a.  Polyunsaturated fats increase inflammation, which leads to an increase in LDL pattern b.

It's not the lard that'll give you a heart attack, it is the crisco that is used in place of lard that will.  And it's not directly because of the cholesterol, it's the systemic inflammation.  Different types and levels of cholesterol are not causes of health or disease, but results.  And it's not the total amounts that matter, but the ratios between the different types that give us a view on health.  There was actually a study done that came out of ucla recently in which they found that 72% of people admitted to the ucla hospital for heart attacks had cholesterol under the "good" level of 150.

Honestly it is like many things in this modern world of ours.  Short sighted, badly done science and oversimplified "public health" policy have led to erroneous results.