Author Topic: New Tent  (Read 6100 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
New Tent
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:27:36 PM »
Our go to tent of over 5 years gave up the ghost this summer. The zipper to the door gave out.  It was a sad.  It had been a been with us a long time and and even served as our honeymoon suite. For a $40 Ozark Trails tent it served us well.

A mount of silence please.

This of course, sent us on a journey of replacement. The simple thought was to replace it with one just like it. After all it served us well for a long time. But then there was the opportunity for something new. This choice was simplified by the fact that our old tent was no longer manufactured. Great, something new.

After some shopping around we settled on one that is atypical for what I usually look for in a tent.

Guide GearĀ® Teepee Tent from Sportsman's guide

I usually want is free standing tent with few if any guy lines.  This one has a single center pole 18 guy lines and 28 stakes when every thing is used.  Those numbers still make me cringe. But despite that, it is easy and fairly quick to set up.

The floor of the tent is 10x10 ft with a height of 6'6".  The first tent I have ever owned that I can stand in

Another featuer I really like is both a front and back door with screens

It is well ventilated with the two doors and 4 adjustable side vents and a vent in the top. The side vents are adjustable in three position

Closed

Fully opened and a option for open with a rain awning

There are also 4 windows with shade right above the side vents

Closed

Open

One of the things I hate about guy line is my habit of tripping on them.  I was pleased with the fact that these are close to the tent and they an another little surprise for me.  The guy lines are interwoven with reflective tape.

All in all I am highly pleased and cannot wait to get this out in slightly more wild surroundings than my back yard provides. It is quite roomy and well make and should suit our family of four well.The true test of this tent will come in one of the fast moving East Texas gully washers.

On a side note, this tent is not always available.  It seems that Sportsman's Guide makes an order and they sell out quickly.  The fist time I went to order the tent it was out of stock.  As soon as it came in I made my order and here roughly three weeks after the order it is out of stock again.

This is the second tent I received.  The first one had a defective zipper. SG offered a replacement (or refund) without a problem and Made quick work of it.

Order was placed on 8-23 received tent 8-26. Defect found SG promptly provided return labels.  they got the return on 9-9 and it was shipped out the next day.  The replacement came in on 9-15. I can't ask better than that.  they have proven that they stad behind there products and have made a loyal customer.

Fixed link BD
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:32:56 PM by bartsdad »

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
Re: New Tent
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
link not working btw.
it's a good looking tent. i would be interested to find out if the center pole gets in the way and how
well the floor holds up where the center pole rests on it. might throw a small carpet cutout in the bag.
seems it would have a high handy factor though, hanging items, partitioning, etc.
i like the color. i get tired of the crazy ass "MY TENT IS OVER HERE" coloring these days.
congrats!

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
http.com//www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=619972

I forgot to add that the weight was 14 lbs and the cost was $89

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Fixed the link in the OP.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
I emailed SG to see when the tent would be back in stock

"Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately the tepee tent is discontinued.  We no longer will have the item available our apologies.

If you have any questions please contact us.
"

Sorry, seems this might have been a bit of a teaser.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
I had a chance to examine this tent at a camp-out (A very wet and rainy one at that).  And it is a well designed tent with lots of features and I really liked it for that.  It was tough as nails and handled rain quite well.  (30 mph wind gusts did knock it around a bit, but it may not have been staked very well as lots of the stakes pulled out of the wet ground in the wind and it did almost fall over before they jumped out and re-staked it.  I helped them stake it and the ground was very soft and that did not help).

The one caveat I had after looking at it, was that it didn't have quite as much head room as I originally thought.  It seems bigger than it is, but you lose some of the added head space to the pole, since I can't stand right in the middle where the pole is (I'm 6' 3" barefoot and though the center pole is 6' 6", the steep roof dropped down too fast and I couldn't stand comfortably in it without my head rubbing on the tent).  Not a big deal as I don't spend a whole lot of time standing in a tent.  Sitting room was outstanding.  There were 2 people sleeping in it and there was plenty of room for them and lots of gear.

My impression was a great weather design and gear storage.  (The lower portions kept the gear near the walls and out of the way very well.  If it could stand without the center pole or the sides were more vertical and then teepeed at the top I would like it better but all in all it looked great.

Sorry they discontinued it.  That was a great price too.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »
I was following your adventure over on FB but its nice to see all the pictures over here.

I was concerned about that post in the center. Did you find it awkward? It looks like it would wear a hole in the tent floor.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
It was a little bit awkward, but I could see putting a hanger on it for a light that would not pull the tent down like the hangers in some of the domes.  So it kind of balanced out.  The floor was tough enough and they didn't have any padding under it and had used it 6 times.  I think I would do as Sludgy said and add a carpet square or something.    I also agree with sludgy, i'm so tired of "Neon Gaudy" tents and love the subdued green color.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »
Noooooooooo!!!! Not discontinued!!  It was on my list to buy.

Offline grizzman

• Prepper
  • Enjoying coffee in a handmade mug while camping
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
14 pounds is an awfully heavy tent. It looks pretty large but if you are packing it on foot it is alot heavier than other dome style tents. How well does it hold up to the wind? Maybe not the best choice for a BOB?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
I emailed SG to see when the tent would be back in stock
"Hello Christopher,
Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the tepee tent is discontinued.  We no longer will have the item available our apologies.
If you have any questions please contact us.
"

Sorry, seems this might have been a bit of a teaser.

Too bad it has been discontinued. I liked the looks of it.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
14 pounds is an awfully heavy tent. It looks pretty large but if you are packing it on foot it is alot heavier than other dome style tents. How well does it hold up to the wind? Maybe not the best choice for a BOB?

No, it would not be the best choice for a BOB, but that is not why I have this one. IMHO a good beaked tarp or a light backpacking tent would likely be the best choice for a BOB.  I consider this tent to be a large tent, tho there are many out there that are much bigger.

It really isn't a lot heavier than most dome tents with with a comparable foot print unless you start going into a higher price category.

The Coleman Hooligan 3 has a smaller footprint at 8x7 and weights 12 lbs.  and that is with a height of only 58 in as opposed to the 80 in

A Columbia Bugaboo II Dome is a bit bigger at 12x9, but weighs in at 21 lbs

I have not had it out in bad weather yet, but all the reviews I have read say that it is sturdy as a rock in high winds.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
For anyone that is interested, this tent should be available again at Sportsman's Guide in March

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »
Nice!